Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the swing arm on the pulley side cut out to fit in the big bearing? Looks m like it would have the room and may be less problem. Just not sure how you would adjust the axle nuts but just a though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone had the swing arm on the pulley side cut out to fit in the big bearing? Looks m like it would have the room and may be less problem. Just not sure how you would adjust the axle nuts but just a though.
good thought....but the bearings on the recall swingarms seem to be holding up....and you can pick up after recall swingarms on ebay for $450...just loosen the belt and it will help longevity ...let us know if you try and your findings...good luck...ps are your bearings failing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have what I think is a bearing making noise. No real sign that it is bad after taking it apart but I have a noise that I cannot seem to get rid of. I am installing new ones this week and gonna try it. Really hoping that it’s not in the angle drive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have what I think is a bearing making noise. No real sign that it is bad after taking it apart but I have a noise that I cannot seem to get rid of. I am installing new ones this week and gonna try it. Really hoping that it’s not in the angle drive.
Hey Woodie01 what does the noise sound like.....is it a whine or a clicking noise....what does it sound like...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced bearings in swing arm and same noise. It is a grinding noise when it’s slowing down. The noise is coming from the angle drive. With it in gear and shut off if I rock it back and forth it is a loud click in the angle drive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just replaced bearings in swing arm and same noise. It is a grinding noise when it’s slowing down. The noise is coming from the angle drive. With it in gear and shut off if I rock it back and forth it is a loud click in the angle drive.
take it out of gear and try it....just to make sure....the angle drives are straight cut gears ...they do make a lot of noise....can you sound video it.....there is angle drives around...the shops doing automatics on ss have some....ddm...ask for dave...are you na or are you running turbo/supercharger....

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Several owners have drilled their swingarm to accept a zerk fitting so they could occasionally grease the bearing, but Polaris has directed dealers to not make this mod, presumably for reasons of liability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I just tore into the angle drive and put it back together. What I found was the bearing on the output shaft was spinning on the shaft. I got new bearings but it was the same way so I am thinking that all are this way. I put some green locktite on it and put it all back together and no more noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok so I just tore into the angle drive and put it back together. What I found was the bearing on the output shaft was spinning on the shaft. I got new bearings but it was the same way so I am thinking that all are this way. I put some green locktite on it and put it all back together and no more noise.
Woodie01...I think your on to something...I read a post about an angle drive bearing spinning but I think it was the inlet and he was FI...so a little more juice......but you have skills....well done...the next SS guru.... thanks for that....smog tech mechanic in cali….35yrs now retired but can not stop fixing things...lol....been burning out 1st and 2nd and chirping 3rd and drifting 90deg corners at 35mph to 45mph on right hand corners and 55mph on lefts and this thing is bullet proof....but yes I love taking stuff to the limit and if it breaks fix it....so kudos to you and I will be asking for your wisdom soon....thanks...oh Woodie how did you find bearings..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did it.
alright DJDAD....I was going to buy a post recall swingarm but if you have done this.....can I just ask you a couple questions sir.....do you have bearing numbers and maker.....one more thing did you press them in with a bench top manual press or the hammer them in......oh s...I hate to go on but any short cut advice...had to be a pita some where....any info would be great and you will see how many views it will get...we love anytime we don't have to buy oem because it's always an upgrade buying aftermarket........thanks ..

·
Registered
289 Posts
alright DJDAD....I was going to buy a post recall swingarm but if you have done this.....can I just ask you a couple questions sir.....do you have bearing numbers and maker.....one more thing did you press them in with a bench top manual press or the hammer them in......oh s...I hate to go on but any short cut advice...had to be a pita some where....any info would be great and you will see how many views it will get...we love anytime we don't have to buy oem because it's always an upgrade buying aftermarket........thanks ..
Genuine Polaris Rear Sprocket Bearing PN 3514760 725984972906 | eBay Amazon.com: Polaris 2015-2018 Slingshot Limited Edition Slingshot Bearing Wheel Rear 3514773 New Oem: Automotive . I looked at a few diff makers and was not sure if the sensor in the big bearing was going to be in them? I ended up not replacing the big bearing. I did buy a large press I have been hammering in things that need pressing for to many years..lol..Polaris uses green Loctite and it just short of JB welds the pulley onto the axel, so heat and lots of it on the pulley. had to pull the whole swing arm off the bike just made it so much easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woodie01...I think your on to something...I read a post about an angle drive bearing spinning but I think it was the inlet and he was FI...so a little more juice......but you have skills....well done...the next SS guru.... thanks for that....smog tech mechanic in cali….35yrs now retired but can not stop fixing things...lol....been burning out 1st and 2nd and chirping 3rd and drifting 90deg corners at 35mph to 45mph on right hand corners and 55mph on lefts and this thing is bullet proof....but yes I love taking stuff to the limit and if it breaks fix it....so kudos to you and I will be asking for your wisdom soon....thanks...oh Woodie how did you find bearings..
Found them on cheapcycleparts.com. Really good response and really reasonable.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
When ordering parts online, keep in mind that different online sellers' pricing can vary by retailer, part and shipping costs. As an example, I checked 7 websites (Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, Cheap Cycle Parts, Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, Part Shark, Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, Ronnie's Mail Order, Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation Polaris Parts Nation, Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation, Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, Powersports Warehouse, & Polaris Slingshot™ OEM Parts, PowerPartsPlus.com) for parts associated with the rear bearings and found pricing variations ranging from $176 - 263, not including any shipping or handling costs. Some sites also offer free shipping with a minimum order, typically $99-100.
See attached pics -
RearBearingsStuff1.jpg RearBearingsStuff2.jpg

Remember to check various sites since different sellers may save you significant cash for other mods!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts