Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do see a lot of posts about the rear axle bearing failure. I went to the dealer and got the Polaris bearings today. The big bearing is made in USA. The small bearing was made in Japan. The small bearing inner race was made in guess where CHINA. Very little grease on it(the small bearing and I mean very little. Took a close look at the race for the small bearing which is the outside by the belt. It have 6 deep nicks in it. It is BRAND new from Polaris in two plastic wrappers. IT IS JUNK. How would they expect to have roller bearings run over nicks. The first race in my life I have ever seen that's not HARDENED. Just another Polaris SCREWUP.
DSCN0269.JPG
DSCN0270.JPG
DSCN0271.JPG
DSCN0273.JPG
DSCN0275.JPG
DSCN0276.JPG
DSCN0278.JPG
DSCN0272.JPG

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had seen in other post where they drilled a hole and inserted a grease fitting. If you don't want it to fail that is your only option. A smart one at that.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
So, has anyone gotten the Mazda Miata front bearing part number that is supposed to fit the rear bearing w/sensor? If we knew that p/n, we'd have an alternative source to Polaris for both bearings.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Very little grease on it(the small bearing and I mean very little. .... It is BRAND new from Polaris in two plastic wrappers. IT IS JUNK. How would they expect to have roller bearings run over nicks. The first race in my life I have ever seen that's not HARDENED.
They don't need much grease, they don't expect it to last long. This is one of the parts destined to fail outside of warranty. If you look at the service manual you can pretty much figure out which ones those are because they omitted those sections from the manual.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got off the phone with NTN bearings. The Polaris number for the larger bearing is 3514773. The NTN number is AU0850-5LXL which is made for Polaris and Mazda OEM.
He did not know what Mazda or Polaris that fit. Just that you cannot but them direct only the OEM can get them. The other long number on the bearing is a date code means nothing to us.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just ran the inner race with the marks on it in the CNC with the probe. What a joke It is not even round. Starts at 51.90mm in the low spot that it goes to 51.95mm in the high spot. Reversed it and did it again Same readings. I called SKF to see if they will make me them at 52mm and hardened ground. They will let me know. Time and cost.

They are the same Large bearings in the RZR with traction control in the rear swing arms.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Keep us posted in your findings, my next replacement I would like to have done with better results. I enjoy reading your posts on these fixes, thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the dings in the metal are from a CNC machine making thousands of them. When it is done it drops the piece on top of the others and a conveyor then dumps them into a drum for shipment. Great quality control by WEEFU bearing company.

·
Registered
706 Posts
After we replaced the first bearing in mine I started packing it with mobile one synthetic every 1500-2500 Miles and have had a problem. No clicks no squeaks no strange sounds and it only takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take off the tire, brake caliper, caliper holder, loosen axle nut and remove remove rear pulley with belt on if you have lots of deflection, push axle to drivers side and remove the steel race and lube the bearing.
Or if your that far, CAREFULLY remove the bearing drill and install grease fitting.

My sons friend is going to stop by with the tool to grease the main wheel bearing while it is in the swingarm. I will post a photo of it when he get here wit it. He said it cost 70.00

·
Registered
619 Posts
Take off the tire, brake caliper, caliper holder, loosen axle nut and remove remove rear pulley with belt on if you have lots of deflection, push axle to drivers side and remove the steel race and lube the bearing.
Or if your that far, CAREFULLY remove the bearing drill and install grease fitting.

My sons friend is going to stop by with the tool to grease the main wheel bearing while it is in the swingarm. I will post a photo of it when he get here wit it. He said it cost 70.00
Thanks @lilb93

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Does adding the zerk fitting do anything to help lube the smaller needle bearing or does it only help the larger bearing w/the sensor?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats only for the larger bearing. He brought it up and it does not fit. He only looked at it. The
RZR is bigger inside and not as long. Will have to make one tomorrow.
That would be only for the small bearing, If you over grease it trying to get it to the large bearing it would not do it being the inside of the bearing has the rubber and magnetic seal for the ABS. You would have to do it only every 10K in the big bearing and I would say every 1K 1 pump for the small.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts