Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone had found the actual OBD2 port. OR Has anyone mapped the terminals in the diagnostic port so we can make a conversion plug. A service manual would be wonderful right about now!

My alarm needs an OBD2 port to tie into. I know the stereo had me to loop thru the diagnostic port so it could pick up the speed and adjust the volume. SO the data we need is in that port.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Somebody here was working on it. If I find the link I'll post it, Maybe one of the sponsors? Edit: yup it was Turbosling, check with him

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wait, there is not OBD port? How will emmissions/diagnostics be handled?

Bummed to hear. I was thinking about a mount for my iPad Mini or iPhone. I then run DashCommand on it tethered to a cheapy ebay Bluetooth OBD connector. Gives fun customized gauges, diagnostics, etc for track days and spirited drives.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

Bummed to hear. I was thinking about a mount for my iPad Mini or iPhone. I then run DashCommand on it tethered to a cheapy ebay Bluetooth OBD connector. Gives fun customized gauges, diagnostics, etc for track days and spirited drives.
Swinglo, Polaris uses a proprietary port called Digital Wrench. The upside to this is you can buy a digital port that works with an app Polaris has out right now for their RiderX app series, that works with Victory motorcycles, as well as ORV and snowmobiles. You should buy the module and use it with the Victory Riders app and it should give you some good engine and trip data. As far as I can tell, no one has actually downloaded and tried this on an SS yet, but I highly encourage it.

Go here!: www.riderx.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Swinglo, Polaris uses a proprietary port called Digital Wrench. The upside to this is you can buy a digital port that works with an app Polaris has out right now for their RiderX app series, that works with Victory motorcycles, as well as ORV and snowmobiles. You should buy the module and use it with the Victory Riders app and it should give you some good engine and trip data. As far as I can tell, no one has actually downloaded and tried this on an SS yet, but I highly encourage it.

Go here!: www.riderx.com
Good web site..., however riderx.com module (link) is not available yet, according to web site. I think it would connect under the bottom of the passenger seat of SS. There is a connector with nothing attached, not even secured to floor, and there is plastic pin fastener (but unfastened). Anyone know what this is? Service Manual would be good right about now.

riderx.com does have Interactive Digital Display however, does not specify SS as compatible, and with a hefty price tag - $699 -ouch! Specs does not list SS for an install kit as well, only other ATV brands.

This device does yield diagnostics, but for SS? Anyone familiar with this device?

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/shop/accessories/interactive-digital-display/pid-2880402

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Good web site..., however riderx.com module (link) is not available yet, according to web site. I think it would connect under the bottom of the passenger seat of SS. There is a connector with nothing attached, not even secured to floor, and there is plastic pin fastener (but unfastened). Anyone know what this is? Service Manual would be good right about now.

riderx.com does have Interactive Digital Display however, does not specify SS as compatible, and with a hefty price tag - $699 -ouch! Specs does not list SS for an install kit as well, only other ATV brands.

This device does yield diagnostics, but for SS? Anyone familiar with this device?

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-side-by-side/shop/accessories/interactive-digital-display/pid-2880402
Yeah, that's the module built into the some RZRs, it runs diagnostics too.
Is that RiderX tool really not out yet? I was told it would hit by now.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the instrument cluster is able to display error codes as some have said, most of us wouldn't need anything more. IF Polaris would make the error codes public that is. And if they won't, then we need a friend with access to them.

Hi there Kip, old buddy old pal...:)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If the instrument cluster is able to display error codes as some have said, most of us wouldn't need anything more. IF Polalis would make the error codes public that is. And if they won't, then we need a friend with access to them.

Hi there Kip, old buddy old pal...:)
:)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
... perhaps it's out, but item is not displayed in their web site.
I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up, though. It would be really useful for SS riders, and I thought it was supposed to be out for sled season this year anyway.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Has anyone come out with the Digital Wrench to OBD adapter yet? If not, does anyone have an estimated time frame on when to expect to see one or even if Polaris has plans to release one now that they've successfully delivered enough s/s to the general public?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have yet to buy my Slingshot.Will be going to Hobbs.(I live in NM) tomorrow to look at buying one.Very informative forum and has been very helpful to making decision on purchasing one. As for the OB2 post I did some leg work to the diagram used on a 2007 Solstice at my local dealer. Found the diagrams for the diagnostic port. From what I found out on the web it uses a CAN protocol as confirmed by the two 120 ohm termination resistors.The Solstice uses a tan and a tan/black wires for the comm link that terminate into DLC pins 6 and 14. On the ECM side for the LE5(Engine) it is in plug C3 pin#33(data bus-) and plug C3 pin#53(data bus +). As I don't have my SS yet I can not confirm the colors of the wires at the ECM plug.There is also low speed comm that might not be used,but it has the other pins used in the DLC.Pins 4(BK)&5(BK/WH) ground.Pin 16 is battery +(RD/WH). These colors are for the Solstice.What are the colors used on the SS diagnostic port?? Hope this information will help formulating a plan to put an actual OB2 port. Daniel
img170.jpg
img171.jpg
img172.jpg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Swinglo if youre still around the Slingshot isnt required to go to emission testing as per its motorcycle/autocycle status.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is info I found while researching around multiple forums, assuming the SS uses the same plug and Polaris protocol software as the RZR anyway

Info on connector behind dash:
"Delphi Connection Systems GT150 8 position connector. The one on the RZR is the female and it is considered a sealed connector. The Delphi part number on the male is 15326840"
seen here:

Bad news about using regular OBD scanner with custom adapter made with plug above

"confirmed that there is indeed a CAN bus at that diagnostic connector. Its recognized by the scan tool as an ISO15765-4 (CAN Bus) 29/250 (29 bit, 250kb). I'm able to see data on the bus, but it isn't ODBII. It looks like Polaris is using a 1 byte header address instead of a 3 byte header address. I can force a single byte header, but the various applications wont put up with it. I'd have to write a new application, which I don't know enough to do, that handled the Polaris specific messaging protocol."

The only hope would be to intercept the CAN signal at the ECU before it goes into the Polaris side of the computer because I'm sure it uses a regular auto ECU and protocol, highly doubtful Polaris made its own custom ECU software.

·
Vendor
645 Posts
Here is info I found while researching around multiple forums, assuming the SS uses the same plug and software as the RZR anyway

Info on connector behind dash:
"Delphi Connection Systems GT150 8 position connector. The one on the RZR is the female and it is considered a sealed connector. The Delphi part number on the male is 15326840"

Bad news about using regular OBD scanner with custom adapter made with plug above

"confirmed that there is indeed a CAN bus at that diagnostic connector. Its recognized by the scan tool as an ISO15765-4 (CAN Bus) 29/250 (29 bit, 250kb). I'm able to see data on the bus, but it isn't ODBII. It looks like Polaris is using a 1 byte header address instead of a 3 byte header address. I can force a single byte header, but the various applications wont put up with it. I'd have to write a new application, which I don't know enough to do, that handled the Polaris specific messaging protocol."

The only hope would be to intercept the CAN signal at the ECU before it goes into the Polaris side of the computer because I'm sure it uses a regular auto ECU and protocol, highly doubtful Polaris made its own custom ECU software.
We have been working on the ECM here also, and getting from the 8 pin out to a ALDL port was pretty easy after tracing out the wires going back tot he ECM. We are still having no luck with communication and we have also noticed that the pinouts at J1, J2 and J3 connectors are not the standard pinouts for most E78's. We are checking on a couple other avenues also right now and if we get anymore info, we will post it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are working on it, once the protocol is figured out and some coding type people get interpretation software up and running the possibilities will open up nicely for SS owners.
Polaris just couldn't make life easy for us and have the OBD and Digital Wrench port eh?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts