Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the result of a raven hitting our Madstad windshield at 65MPH:

Two days later we have a settlement from our insurance and a new windshield is on it's way. Instead of the clear 9-inch system the replacement will be a light gray 9-inch shield with dark gray bases, which should look pretty good on our fast red 2015, don't ya think?

Bill

616 Posts
So glad you weren't injured o_O

At the dragstrip recently, I had about 1/2 of the black plastic inlay panel on the left side of the hood crack loose at over 100 MPH. To be frank, I was aware it had a crack in it, but I didn't realize it might separate at speed. The screw bosses on these panels have a tendency to snap free (concealed damage for the most part), and at that point all that's holding it on is the double-stick foam tape.

It was nighttime, but I saw the black "flash"as it cracked free and the loose bits struck the windshield and the top of my helmet. Fortunately it was a grazing hit, and as the broken chunks were also traveling over 100 MPH, the speed at which they struck the windshield/helmet was not severe. All the same, I shudder to think what could have happened if I'd taken a more direct hit, or if I'd not had a helmet on. I could have been blinded or disfigured, or both. I could also have lost control.

As I am pretty unflappable when I am racing, I never even lifted off the throttle. It was over quickly. But it sure got my attention!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Madstad windshield is made of acrylic, there has been some discussion, and speculation, of if a polycarbonate windshield would have fared differently?

Bill

616 Posts
The Madstad windshield is made of acrylic, there has been some discussion, and speculation, of if a polycarbonate windshield would have fared differently?

Bill
The durability difference is fairly well-established, with polycarbonate (such as used in the F4 windshields we recommend) the clear leader in strength:

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we already have evidence of what happens with a acrylic windshield, now if somebody will just buy maybe a cornish game hen, (make sure you thaw it!), climb in back of a pickup and head down the road with their SlingShot with a polycarbonate windshield following. When both get to 65MPH, toss out the game hen at the SlingShot and then report back here the results? :devilish:

Bill

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Back when I was still on two wheels, I had an owl swoop down in front of me, hitting my helmet at 55 mph. It barely grazed my helmet, but did shock the he.. out of me. I went back and saw a few feathers, but couldn't find the bird. Even now in the Slingshot, I still tend to want to duck anytime a bird swoops down in front of me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, we already have evidence of what happens with a acrylic windshield, now if somebody will just buy maybe a cornish game hen, (make sure you thaw it!), climb in back of a pickup and head down the road with their SlingShot with a polycarbonate windshield following. When both get to 65MPH, toss out the game hen at the SlingShot and then report back here the results? :devilish:

Bill
If you did that the hen would be traveling at close to 65 and would probably just bounce off. The person with the hen should be standing on the side of the ride when they throw it. Actually I rea don’t recommend trying it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couple years ago I was driving my work pickup on the freeway, a hawk was sitting in the median with his lunch. He took off in my direction, he was flapping as hard as he could, he looked over his shoulder and we made eye contact. He bounced off the top of the left side of the cab, right at the top of the windshield. It was a huge thud, I think he was killed instantly. He got thrown up in the air and hit the road behind the car behind me. I felt bad for him. I was amazed that the windshield didn’t crack.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A few decades ago I was riding my honda 750 through backroads in northern Florida. I came around a curve and there were a couple vultures eating something in the road. They all took off, one right at me. I instinctively ducked and it just missed my head. Two things I learned about vultures that day. One- they're bigger than I thought they were. Two- if they're frightened and full of meat they 'projectile vomit' at the predator to lose weight and escape. The predator happened to be me, and he puked all over me. Keep in mind whatever they were eating was literally roadkill before they ate it! I wasn't hurt, but the smell was so bad I had to hike through the woods a 1/4 mile to a stream to wash off.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I returned to ordering the Madstad windshield again, this time we switched from all clear to dark gray bases and light gray 9" shield.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts