Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer of mine wanted to upgrade his radio. This is a Kenwood automotive radio. Does everything. GPS, hd radio, apps, DVD, reverse camera, smart phone intergration...very cool. Reverse camera is way better with the bigger screen. We helped weather proof the area by building a block off plate and new bottom to the radio area. Dyna matted the area to help with heat. Also custom fitted a Viper alarm system with proxy sensor and GPS locator. Very cool install. Customer is building a Plexiglas box to cover the screen from light weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can you send the model of that Kenwood Radio and Amp. Did the speakers take up all of the little storage space that is available?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The radio is a Kenwood dnx5728h, kicker cx 600.1, and kicker 8" solaflex subwoffer. The door to locker had to be supported. You really need someone who knows this machines wiring to install this correctly. Big chunks of radio harness had to be eliminated and modified. The locker behind the sub was dyna matted. Sounds great and could sound better if the sub/locker was sealed better (door removed and permanent lid made)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
All that work and you can't see the display when it's in the sun. Kinda sucks don't it? I noticed how bad that one was in your third picture where you see the shop lights even was the display out.

I could have saved you some time. I have literally tried every new model of Kenwood and a few Pioneers. The best so far is the last one I installed. It will tilt upward and flat toward you. AND it is difficult to see.

I'm not sure any display except for a true nexus or samsung tablet running in the brightest setting will work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does that
All that work and you can't see the display when it's in the sun. Kinda sucks don't it? I noticed how bad that one was in your third picture where you see the shop lights even was the display out.

I could have saved you some time. I have literally tried every new model of Kenwood and a few Pioneers. The best so far is the last one I installed. It will tilt upward and flat toward you. AND it is difficult to see.

I'm not sure any display except for a true nexus or samsung tablet running in the brightest setting will work.

radio have reverse camera?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[Qdon't have the customers unit here any more. He can still fit a full faced helmet in the locker.

="Customnesguy, post: 113859, member: 3539"]Can you get a picture of the storage compartment with speaker open?[/QUOTE]
I sont

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Does that

radio have reverse camera?
Yes. It has reverse input and a second video in. It is the 7012 that Kenwood just came out with. I leave the display in most of the time because it is even hard to see tilted down away from the lights an sun. It plays with the display retracted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice install. The only thing that messes up a great install is the dash kit for the radio. The trim rings do not cover the gaps well. I've tried many. However after spending a ton of money I found a great solution
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Nice install. The only thing that messes up a great install is the dash kit for the radio. The trim rings do not cover the gaps well. I've tried many. However after spending a ton of money I found a great solution View attachment 24834

Yep I like that install. You just have to take some time and get it the way you like it. I just chopped up a Ford install kit and then made my trim ring with door edging. There really isn't a wrong way to do it. Just make sure its very stable and it can be seen when your out in the sun. You probably cant see it when its in the sun but you can always learn over and shade it with your hand while you read it. Its not like you make a lot of changes when your driving. I can see mine because the screen tilts downward but I rarely look at it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a nice unit with backup also, the trim ring fit is the only thing that bugs me - it's not a great fit and held on with 3m tape. I also put the top on, the canvas one. It eliminates the glare on the radio otherwise as Rabtech says you can't see the display in daylight. I'm not 100% settled on having a top, I might take it off as I like the naked look. Once I set my USB playing I don't need to see the screen anyway. I wired the backup camera, put in a nice amp and am waiting for the SSV works sub woofer that they make to go behind the seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I to oh it to a metal fabricator along with the trim piece from the radio. It's hard work even with the proper machine, if that piece moves you ruin the bezel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts