Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with the radio on our 2016 SS. It is the factory radio with a Clarian amp installed and along with the factory speakers and the behind the headrest pod speakers. While I have always had an issue with "clipping" at high sound levels, sometime in the past an Electrical Connection voltmeter was installed which worked fine at first. This installation required the factory connection for the radio to be disconnected and reconnected into a subconnector supplied with the voltmeter. The voltmeter is now dead. No power. The SS was in extended storage due to health issues and I just cleaned her up and took her out yesterday for the first time in months. The last time out the voltmeter wasn't working but the radio speakers were. Yesterday the voltmeter is still dead and the radio while on produces no sound. Would that T connection failing have anything to do with this? Do the speakers output go through the radio harness or on a separate run? Hoping it is a simple fix. I did check the main radio fuse and of course it is OK. I have not checked the amp fuse as I am not able to crawl around on the garage floor and access the battery compartment and wrangle the yellow top full sized battery out. The Clarion amp is located under the driver's seat. I'm not sure if I power up the SS if I can see if any of the lights on the amp are lit up. I'm 72 years old with all kinds of joint issues. If it comes to that an audio man will get the job.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My guess would be the subconnector. Connect things directly and see if that works for you. My guess is that inbetween connector has been causing your issues unless the issue is heat related (radio being near the engine bay and all).

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
If you have a cell phone with a camera, have someone who is flexible enough to hold the camera under the seat and take a pic without flash of the amp with the power on. With the flash off, the lights on the amp should be visible if the amp is on. Eliminating the voltmeter from the electrical path would be a great start since it wasn't there originally. Since taking 3 years of Electronics Shop in High School in the late 1960s, I've messed around with electronic stuff for a long time and I've never enjoyed troubleshooting. It can be a PITA and if it can;t be quickly diagnosed, I agree about letting someone else worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the radio out and find some cut wires and a mouse turd. The wires are at the connector that comes out of the glove box. Anyone know where I could buy a replacement section? Probably easier than trying to repair.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Electrical harness parts are not cheap! 2016 Polaris SLINGSHOT ALL OPTIONS (T16AAS/AAP) Electrical, Sound System T16aap All Options (49Slingshotsound14sling) | Cheap Cycle Parts
Your least expensive option might be to try and find a harness from a wrecked Slingshot, but that might take some time and luck. The fastest solution may well be trying to patch the broken/chewed harness wires. Good Luck.
Diagram doesn't show what I need. I emailed them but don't have my hopes up. The qualified audio shop wants 4 hours at $100 an hour plus materials. I will probably have to bite the rat turd on this one.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Diagram doesn't show what I need. I emailed them but don't have my hopes up. The qualified audio shop wants 4 hours at $100 an hour plus materials. I will probably have to bite the rat turd on this one.
Just tell yourself you're saving $400!
I'd recommend trying to find some similarly colored/striped wire and then it's mainly just matching like with like. Some butt connectors come with waterproofing goo inside for extra protection. If you choose to solder the connections, just remember to use some heat-shrink tubing, preferably the type with the waterproofing goo inside. I too often tend to forget about the heat-shrink tubing and end up having to use electrical tape, but the heat-shrink tubing is better, especially if you use the waterproofing type. Even if you spend $50-75 on supplies, you're still saving $325-350 for what won't hopefully take more than a day's effort. Good Luck.
Don't know where you're located, but here in the Houston area, Craigslist used to carry ads from people who'd come to your house for audio installs/repairs, usually at pretty decent rates.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tell yourself you're saving $400!
I'd recommend trying to find some similarly colored/striped wire and then it's mainly just matching like with like. Some butt connectors come with waterproofing goo inside for extra protection. If you choose to solder the connections, just remember to use some heat-shrink tubing, preferably the type with the waterproofing goo inside. I too often tend to forget about the heat-shrink tubing and end up having to use electrical tape, but the heat-shrink tubing is better, especially if you use the waterproofing type. Even if you spend $50-75 on supplies, you're still saving $325-350 for what won't hopefully take more than a day's effort. Good Luck.
Don't know where you're located, but here in the Houston area, Craigslist used to carry ads from people who'd come to your house for audio installs/repairs, usually at pretty decent rates.
Wish I had the basic skills to dive in. My expertise is so minimal what started out as a $400 repair would double after I get my bumbling hands in there. I'm in Delaware so quite a commute to Texas.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Wish I had the basic skills to dive in. My expertise is so minimal what started out as a $400 repair would double after I get my bumbling hands in there. I'm in Delaware so quite a commute to Texas.
If you find a local High School Auto Shop class, you may be able to get the students to fix the wiring for the cost of materials. Nowadays, they might charge a fee for labor, but if you're willing to let them try working on your Slingshot and leave it at the school for a few days, you may be able to get it fixed relatively cheaply. The Auto Shop teacher should control who works on it and limit student access to keep it from being used for joyrides. When I was a teen, our local Auto Shop classes repaired vehicles belonging to the public on a parts cost basis. Can't hurt to find an Auto Shop class and talk to the teacher.
You might even find some local kids willing to work on it in exchange for a ride or two.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you find a local High School Auto Shop class, you may be able to get the students to fix the wiring for the cost of materials. Nowadays, they might charge a fee for labor, but if you're willing to let them try working on your Slingshot and leave it at the school for a few days, you may be able to get it fixed relatively cheaply. The Auto Shop teacher should control who works on it and limit student access to keep it from being used for joyrides. When I was a teen, our local Auto Shop classes repaired vehicles belonging to the public ion a parts cost basis. Can't hurt to find an Auto Shop class and talk to the teacher.
You might even find some local kids willing to work on it in exchange for a ride or two.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've made an appointment with a highly recommended audio shop.

Reactions: EjFord and BKL
1 - 10 of 10 Posts