Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is a question for those who drove the SS.....will you say a racing seat belt, 4-point, 6-point, or maybe 27-point style seat belt is necessary? I wonder if anyone also feel that with racing seat belts, SS will look meaner.....or more track-ready?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'll be going with a 5 point harness. Van's Aircraft has good price on them.
Definitely planning on some track days.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you go this route if installed right you'll beable to leave the stock belt in.
I'll be going with a 5/6 point myself.
Just to have when needed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Back in 99 I has in a pretty bad crash in my street/track Miata. I was wearing a 3" 4 pt harness that allowed me to worry about car control instead of flinging around the car. The seemingly hard assed State Trooper that worked the wreck went into a long diatribe about me wearing non-street legal, non-DOT approved racing belts. When he has me convinced I'm about to get a ticket for the belts, he grinned and told me he wished more people would wear them. I really like BatSlinger's idea of being able to have both types of belts available.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since the SS is a motorcycle I am not worried about the DOT approval of my setup if its safer then factory since I don't need to wear the belt anyways if I don't want to! (I will always be wearing the belt, even if not legally required)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Thats a good point I didnt think about. For anyone who has sat in one, how are the blind spots?
I'm 5'8" and for me the blind spot wasn't bad but being strapped in would make it harder to look, especially when backing up. Even in my car with a 4 point I have a hard time seeing traffic when i'm at some intersections that require me to lean forward to see.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is one draw back to a 4/5 point system. You are snug in the seat.
Hard to look around.Track days for the people that will be going this route.
Maybe a nice country road with a lot of corners and your pushing it.
Then switch back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone actually installed a harness yet? I am keen to do so, but wonder what mounting hardware is required/available. It looks like the mounting points for the roll bars would be ideal, but the fact they are recessed would seem to make some kind of special mount required. Appreciate any ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts