Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with one of my friends about getting the slingshot and he thinks I should just look at the elio and save money! I told him that like was suggesting a Prius when shopping muscle cars but it made me wonder. Have any of you had friends or family suggest hilarious mismatched competition to the SS?

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I was talking with one of my friends about getting the slingshot and he thinks I should just look at the elio and save money! I told him that like was suggesting a Prius when shopping muscle cars but it made me wonder. Have any of you had friends or family suggest hilarious mismatched competition to the SS?
Yes, I've also made a different argument when debating with other car guys that would rather pay the premium for a more expensive sports car like the camaro or mustang because the slingshot isn't practical without a roof windows and heat. I made the argument that for the money it would be more practical to buy a slingshot AND an Elio. You'd still be money ahead. Especially after dumping performance parts on the camaro or mustang.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a good laugh earlier today when I was reading Morningstar re Polaris Industries. They described the SS as: "for affluent thrill seekers"!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No but you CAN buy some very cool used performance cars for what the SS costs or if you want to stay new certainly a good down payment.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes, I've also made a different argument when debating with other car guys that would rather pay the premium for a more expensive sports car like the camaro or mustang because the slingshot isn't practical without a roof windows and heat. I made the argument that for the money it would be more practical to buy a slingshot AND an Elio. You'd still be money ahead. Especially after dumping performance parts on the camaro or mustang.
Hmmmm, this sounds like rationalizing your decision to buy a SS. I dont mean that in a bad way but to compare the SS with a real car is a silly mistake in and of itself. Granted, the SS isnt zo6 money, it isnt Shelby 500 GT money, its a used camaro or mustang gt, which are nice cars. Cars you can drive every day. Real seats, real HVAC systems, great stereos, and gee, more storage which is what every one seems to want.
What Im trying to say is if you are trying to substitute this for a real car I think youre missing the point and may be disappointed at some point. Maybe not. Ive owned several semi exotic cars and this isnt a substitute, at least to me. Ive lost sleep wondering if I should just take this money and put it towards a Superformance Cobra, but I already have a cool Viper sitting in the garage so I guess that part is covered.
Lets face it, this is an expensive TOY and after the initial craze will probably depreciate pretty good. Very niche market.
Maybe if I was in my 20s again and didnt think Id own Nobles, Vipers, GT40s, etc, then maybe to me at 20 something it would be a substitute, as real semi exotics would be out of reach. IDK. Just makes me shake my head when I read here how people want to make more of a daily driver car....roofs, storage, this and that. Its more of a substitute for a motorcycle, at least to me.
Im sure we will all have fun driving it and in this wait for release of product, maybe Im over thinking some of this stuff, or maybe just consider the age of some of the folks here and not that - thats a bad thing.
I would just be careful in not trying to make the SS something it is not.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I had a good laugh earlier today when I was reading Morningstar re Polaris Industries. They described the SS as: "for affluent thrill seekers"!
Hmmmm, this sounds like rationalizing your decision to buy a SS. I dont mean that in a bad way but to compare the SS with a real car is a silly mistake in and of itself. Granted, the SS isnt zo6 money, it isnt Shelby 500 GT money, its a used camaro or mustang gt, which are nice cars. Cars you can drive every day. Real seats, real HVAC systems, great stereos, and gee, more storage which is what every one seems to want.
What Im trying to say is if you are trying to substitute this for a real car I think youre missing the point and may be disappointed at some point. Maybe not. Ive owned several semi exotic cars and this isnt a substitute, at least to me. Ive lost sleep wondering if I should just take this money and put it towards a Superformance Cobra, but I already have a cool Viper sitting in the garage so I guess that part is covered.
Lets face it, this is an expensive TOY and after the initial craze will probably depreciate pretty good. Very niche market.
Maybe if I was in my 20s again and didnt think Id own Nobles, Vipers, GT40s, etc, then maybe to me at 20 something it would be a substitute, as real semi exotics would be out of reach. IDK. Just makes me shake my head when I read here how people want to make more of a daily driver car....roofs, storage, this and that. Its more of a substitute for a motorcycle, at least to me.
Im sure we will all have fun driving it and in this wait for release of product, maybe Im over thinking some of this stuff, or maybe just consider the age of some of the folks here and not that - thats a bad thing.
I would just be careful in not trying to make the SS something it is not.
Something "it's not" is extremely subjective. I am using it as a replacement for a car. I realize it doesn't have everything a car does, but it has everything I personally need in a car. I assume our needs are different. In addition, some of us must make sacrifices for this must have expensive toy. We can't all have Vipers and whatnot sitting in our garage just to have the SS as an extra. Congratulations if you have it like that though. Having a diverse group of buyers will only benefit the evolution of the SS. Each to their own. If someone throws a roof, doors, back seat, and a trailer on the ss....Kewl. Make it yours, whatever that looks like. Mine will stay 99% stock. :)

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
In addition, I wasn't rationalizing my decision, I was debating that the SS and an elio can be had for comparable cost to a sports car. That's all. I'm not actually going to buy an Elio. I don't need one. I ride motorcycles for transportation all year. The SS will make a nice car for me.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
[QUOTE="evomind, post: 15972, member: ] Cars you can drive every day. Real seats, real HVAC systems, great stereos, and gee, more storage which is what every one seems to want.
.[/QUOTE]

Which is what an elio is. :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In addition, I wasn't rationalizing my decision, I was debating that the SS and an elio can be had for comparable cost to a sports car. That's all. I'm not actually going to buy an Elio. I don't need one. I ride motorcycles for transportation all year. The SS will make a nice car for me.

Would it be safe to say you are making the SS work for your needs? I mean, it rains in oregon, right? Im not sure but dont ya see some snow? IDK. I guess anyone who can daily drive a motorcycle can daily drive the SS, but you have to realize that isnt the norm, right??
I mean, you do what you want, your money, but I would hope that you would admit that MOST, like 99.99999999999% of the folks would buy a cheap car to get around in when the weather is inclimate and use the SS when the weather is dry? Or is it just me?
But hey my friend, Im not knocking it. Maybe the SS is the coolest thing you have seen south of 100k and you have to have it and you have to spend every cent to get it. Ive been there too so I get it.
perhaps I would be better understood prefacing my comments in a more "GENERAL" direction as I didnt mean to single you out.
I guess going back to my original point is one is a car and one is not.

EDIT.....Id rather eat a bullet than drive an Elio.
:)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Or, for someone that is shopping for a repop Shelby then something like the SS actually looks like a very inexpensive TOY. Not sure anyone is going to compare an SS to a McLaren 12C or 650s Spider or Ferrari 458 Spider or Lamborghini 700-4 Roadster.... BUT I would compare it all day long to any open top TOY under $100K that will sit idle for just as many days but provide a massive fun factor in the odd day it rolls out of the garage and onto a street. And I would not hesitate to bet on the fact that depreciation may wind up being much better, or at least no worse, than any of the sub $100K TOYS I am thinking of.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Or, for someone that is shopping for a repop Shelby then something like the SS actually looks like a very inexpensive TOY. Not sure anyone is going to compare an SS to a McLaren 12C or 650s Spider or Ferrari 458 Spider or Lamborghini 700-4 Roadster.... BUT I would compare it all day long to any open top TOY under $100K that will sit idle for just as many days but provide a massive fun factor in the odd day it rolls out of the garage and onto a street. And I would not hesitate to bet on the fact that depreciation may wind up being much better, or at least no worse, than any of the sub $100K TOYS I am thinking of.[/QUOTE

Yes but the open top toys I'm thinking of are already depreciated, like a Shelby cobra. An spf cobra is 50k low side to get into and it will still be worth abt 50k in x number of years. Nor would I be looking for better tops, heat, more luggage capacity, etc. . If I wanted all that I'd buy a civic.
But back to my original point, the ss is not a car and really shouldn't be compared to one. They just don't match up well.
I just question some of the intentions of some potential owners who state they want to make the vehicle something it was never intended to be.
That's all. One might be disappointed after all that time, money, and effort it's still not a "car."
That said, it's not my money and I look forward to seeing how the mods turn out.
Me? Hmmmm, always like to go faster I guess.

·
Registered
619 Posts
For me it is a toy. I have had hi powered sports cars. I have had bikes. I have had large and functional pickups. All have been "fun" to me.
I take the SS for what it purely is... a different, new configuration, on the road TOY. And what is wrong with that?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For me it is a toy. I have had hi powered sports cars. I have had bikes. I have had large and functional pickups. All have been "fun" to me.
I take the SS for what it purely is... a different, new configuration, on the road TOY. And what is wrong with that?
Nothing, thats what it was designed for.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Would it be safe to say you are making the SS work for your needs? I mean, it rains in oregon, right? Im not sure but dont ya see some snow? IDK. I guess anyone who can daily drive a motorcycle can daily drive the SS, but you have to realize that isnt the norm, right??
I mean, you do what you want, your money, but I would hope that you would admit that MOST, like 99.99999999999% of the folks would buy a cheap car to get around in when the weather is inclimate and use the SS when the weather is dry? Or is it just me?
But hey my friend, Im not knocking it. Maybe the SS is the coolest thing you have seen south of 100k and you have to have it and you have to spend every cent to get it. Ive been there too so I get it.
perhaps I would be better understood prefacing my comments in a more "GENERAL" direction as I didnt mean to single you out.
I guess going back to my original point is one is a car and one is not.

EDIT.....Id rather eat a bullet than drive an Elio.
:)
Your edit made me laugh out loud. :D

I've lived in oregon all my life and we don't get much snow (where I live) some years are better than others and I don't ride my bike in the snow and don't plan on driving the SS in the snow just to be clear. Everything else will be fine. I have plenty of people to borrow an extra vehicle from for the snow or whatever special trip I need. I bought a small car so my Son would have something to drive and it technically belongs to me......Without going into every aspect of my life I figured I could just explain it as using the ss as it worked for my needs/wants because everyone has a different need or reason. In my life it fits mostly as a car. It is definitely a toy car. I'm going to use my toy SS as a car in 99.9990% of situations I would use a car in. That's all I was saying and I don't mind your opinion, nor do I feel you were singling me out. I just felt that your comments seemed a little elitist in a way that your definition of what the SS is, and reasons for considering one was the only right reason for everyone. I noticed one other person disagreed with the post about the Elio (c.g. I think) and I'm not sure why. But here's the bottom line for me, the SS can be a good substitute for a sports car for some people. It can be a replacement for a bike for some people. If you're looking to buy a sports car as a toy (by the numbers) an ss and an elio or any used grocery getter at 5-7k is an option for comparable cost. At any rate, it's a toy and the beauty of a toy is, you buy them to do whatever the hell you want with them. And that my friend should be free of anyone else's judgements. That's all I'm trying to say. Agree or disagree, I still think you're awsome for getting one.:cool:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts