Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members of this community! My name is Christian and I am a certified dealer and service for the Polaris Slingshot. I would love to help those with any problems with their Slingshot. Please let me know how I can help! I am here for you guys!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Open a dealership in Hickory NC. My current dealer is 45 miles away. Just kidding. Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hello members of this community! My name is Christian and I am a certified dealer and service for the Polaris Slingshot. I would love to help those with any problems with their Slingshot. Please let me know how I can help! I am here for you guys!
I don't think I've seen any questions or concerns here...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a question about the swing arm.
There is a threaded boss near the right pivot.(empty)
There is another one just aft of the first that the belt guard is bolted to.
There is a non threaded one on the side just aft of the left pivot.
My question, are there other bosses, threaded or not, located anywhere else on the swing arm?
The reason for this question is that I may want to use these to attach a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the swing arm taking a look at it currently there are not any other threaded bosses on the swing arm. However; please do not tow a trailer with this machine as that is not the purpose. The SS is not meant to tow or pull anything, I would recommend purchasing a truck if you are wanting to pull a trailer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
@ Christian - I'm in the Chicago area (western Burbs). Any estimates on what delivery costs might be from your store?

If I were to purchase from you, one option would be drive down with and enclosed, but that's time consuming/a pain and subject to Mother Nature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Swinglo As of now we are currently trying to figure out a delivery method, since these are open to mother nature we have yet to come up with a cost effective method. In my opinion it would be your best bet at this time to try and trailer it. I would love to earn your business and help you however I can so let me know what I can do!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks. Any of the car carriers can do the job.

For example, having the last Lotus Elise I bought trailered (covered enclosed semi trailer) shipped from Newport Beach, CA to Chicago burbs was like $750. And that was in March of 2013 when gas was like $95 a gallon!

So, there's got to be some very reasonable (Say $250ish) shipping options from Charleston, IL to Chicago burbs.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

For example, having the last Lotus Elise I bought trailered (covered enclosed semi trailer) shipped from Newport Beach, CA to Chicago burbs was like $750. And that was in March of 2013 when gas was like $95 a gallon!

So, there's got to be some very reasonable (Say $250ish) shipping options from Charleston, IL to Chicago burbs.
My dealer shipped two at the same time from Ohio to South Elgin Illinois on a tilt bed, about a 6 hour drive, no covers or weather protection and they arrived in fine condition and were clean. I won't swear to it, but a little birdie told me it cost the dealer $800 to ship them both. I was not charged, I cannot speak for the other buyer of course, but that was part of "my" deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the swing arm taking a look at it currently there are not any other threaded bosses on the swing arm. However; please do not tow a trailer with this machine as that is not the purpose. The SS is not meant to tow or pull anything, I would recommend purchasing a truck if you are wanting to pull a trailer.
I have an Aluma MCT trailer that we used on a 2500 mile trip to Vancover Island. Fully loaded it weighs 400 lbs with a tongue weight of 40 lbs. My Canam Spyder RTS had no problem towing this trailer.
I phoned Polaris customer service about a hitch and was told that there is one in development but there is no date when it may be ready for sale.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@LDuerr From what I understand other manufactures within the motorcycle class actually void warranties when a trailer hitch is applied. However since this an automotive grade engine I am not sure how the towing capability will be rated. As far as your can-am spider is concerned I'm shocked that people are putting trailers behind a single wheel as it wouldn't appear to be a smart or safe thing to do. With the design of the slingshot being kept in mind and the size of the engine there is a possibility that a trailer may be able to be pulled behind, I am unaware of a release of a trailer hitch for one at this time though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If you know of a shipping company that would do that please let me know so we can help you and others out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's got a car engine in it, for crying out loud! Dave Kreinbrink

·
Registered
35 Posts
@LDuerr From what I understand other manufactures within the motorcycle class actually void warranties when a trailer hitch is applied. However since this an automotive grade engine I am not sure how the towing capability will be rated. As far as your can-am spider is concerned I'm shocked that people are putting trailers behind a single wheel as it wouldn't appear to be a smart or safe thing to do. With the design of the slingshot being kept in mind and the size of the engine there is a possibility that a trailer may be able to be pulled behind, I am unaware of a release of a trailer hitch for one at this time though.
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your interest in my and others safety and look forward to your inputs on this matter. If Polaris does come out with a hitch, could you give us your opinion on the subject?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wonder what he thinks of 2 wheeled MCs towing trailers? :)
We don't see many of those around my neck of the woods haha, but I wouldn't even attempt to try and pull a trailer with a motorcycle, at least with the sling shot you do have a automotive engine, with a normal motorcycle the engine isn't necessarily meant to pull its own weight on top of two passengers and a loaded trailer on top of that! It's crazy what kind of limits people are pushing these motorcycles through!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts