Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a 4,800 mile trip this month and didn't notice until I got home, that a small rock had gotten wedged into the belt (probably picked it up when going over the Million Dollar Highway which was being chip sealed). The rock was about the size of a BB and was still embedded in the belt but due to all the clicking noises from the rear end of these things, I never heard it. The hole in the belt is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a BB on the outside of the belt. Anybody have any experience with this kind of problem?

I have a spare belt (picked it up before my first trip because I know how long it takes to get parts from Polaris). Unfortunately, from what I can see, the maintenance video explaining how to change a belt has been removed and I don't have a service manual. It is a180 mile round trip to the only dealer in the area I trust to do the work but I'm reluctant to dig into something I know nothing about.

How much risk is there in continuing to drive it with the small hole in the middle of the belt (only the one rock from what I can tell and it didn't abrade the tooth of the belt).

Thanks in advance.

Stewey

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good Question. I don't have an answer. Belts are pretty sturdy and based on your description I would think you might be fine to drive it to a dealer to get fixed. Just take it easy on the way there.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Is it really a hole, or just a depression in the belt from the BB? If the hole is in the middle of the belt and not along an edge, I wouldn't worry about it, based on what I've read about the belts on various belt-drive motorcycles. These belts are supposed to be pretty resilient/strong. I know of only one incident where a guy had a boosted motor and managed to rip up his belt, but that was reported to be due to the belt being too tight. There's a few owners who've boosted their motors to over 400 HP and are still on their original belts.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The Gates belts are extremely tough. In fact the SS being my first experience with them vs chains I am sold.

Straight from the Gates website (which I have found to be very accurate and not fluffing information to make themselves look better):

In laboratory testing, the Carbon Drive System lasts more than twice the life of a chain. Chains are often replaced due to scratch and wear rather than actual failure. The Carbon Drive belt does not stretch, so the smooth running performance remains consistent throughout its life.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been driving and working on motorcycles for years. In addition to @Blitzkrieg stated off of the Gates website, Chains are usually replaced because of uneven wear, also known as chain stretch. Not anything to add to your confidence in your belt, but a better assessment of chains. However... Shaft is much better ;) Just Sayin :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts