Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The reason for the Slingshot delay has been published by Moto Journal out of Quebec Canada.
This was brought to my attention by two forum members @luckyone and @Mike Mtl and was posted in the French section of the forum but has been missed by the majority of the English members.
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/section-francophone.317/page-21#post-25436
Moto Journal.jpg

The dates and timing of the incident are not published but the thinking is that it happened during the first half of October. You can translate and read the article for yourself but luckyone and Mike Mtl translated it and gave me the gist of the story. They can also help answer any detailed question anyone might have.

A very well-known journalist from Quebec was invited by Polaris to see, test and demo a Slingshot. The journalist was driving and accompanied by Chad Nibblelink from Polaris during a light rainy day.
There was a noticeable increase in RPM's during the drive due to the rear tire losing traction and hydro planning at 44 mph. He lost control of the Slingshot and slid off the road sideways without any time to react. No damage was done to the vehicle. The Polaris engineers inspected the Slingshot and realized that the front wheels were mounted backwards causing the traction problem. The tires were switched and they continued the demo ride in the same vehicle. He continued driving for another 20 minutes with Chad Nibblelink, he says that the Slingshot is an exceptional vehicle and very fun to drive, very quick and extremely agile.
Next they switched seat positions and one of the Polaris pilots drove the Slingshot. They took it out on the test track, he was extremely impressed with the cornering ability of the Slingshot and how it always maintained full control.
They switch seats and the journalist drove explaining, he felt as if he were driving a go-cart with a huge engine. It was very thrilling! Then it happened again to Chad Nibbelink, who was driving in a separate Slingshot and lost control at the same location of the Journalist. This did not happen because of a tire problem. One week after he returned to Quebec he was contacted by Polaris and asked to delay any reporting of what happen and return to Minnesota for another demo ride. The journalist explained to them that he cannot erase the reality of what happened. He asked to speak to an engineer so he could understand exactly what happened and what Polaris would do to correct the problem.

Later, he received a phone call from Chad Nibbleink and the director of products for the Slingshot, Chris Doucet. Doucet explained that after the reporters had left, Polaris engineers had a meeting to determine what exactly happened and the reason for the loss of traction.
Mr. Doucet explained that the Slingshot was driven in every weather condition and this had never happened before. He also explained that after a week of technical review with Bosch they realized that the problem did not happen because of any fault of the electronic stability control. During this time Doucet and his engineering team continued to analyze the data to determine the problem. The conclusion was that the loss of control was due to one of the two front wheels hitting a pot hole in the road. The situation was recreated on the test track by making several hundred passes using the Slingshot and a variety of other three wheeled trikes. During the test the problem was confirmed while Mr. Nibbelink was driving the Slingshot and lost control in the exact same manner as before confirming the problem. Once the problem was confirmed the Polaris engineers went to work addressing and correcting the issue.

Finally, after modifying the camber, the wheel pressure and calibrating the direct Polaris fixed the problem. They showed a video of the results before and after the adjustments were made. This proved that the issue was correctly identified and completely resolved.

The reporter summarized his thoughts in a very positive way;
Polaris preferred that the story was not published, but Polaris reacted in a very transparent way and offered real collaboration. It happens often that a new vehicle presents a problem, even Toyota has to recall models but for Polaris the challenge was much bigger because it is a first experience with this type of vehicle. By having the occasion and seeing the men and women at Polaris reacting to this situation, I estimate that this company is one of the best. They reacted immediately without concern of the delay and were more concerned with the performance and safety of the Slingshot. The problems were corrected quickly and professionally.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Well that answers a lot of ?'s!!! Good job Polaris for fixing the problem pre-release! Now to get the SS cleared in all the states!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This really clarifies the reason of the delay.
Actually it's shows that Polaris is extremely responsible and not letting vehicle out to customers before the complete testing, thank you Polaris
I absolutely agree Mike!
Thank you Polaris, our trust and patience will be well worth it in the end!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
What also is written on the article that Polaris replicated The events and did testing passing on the same pothole 100 times with a different type of reversed trike (The journalist also mentions that he believes T Rex and spyder were used for the testing)

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm glad Polaris remedied the problem too but I question their honesty and transparency. If the journalist played along with Polaris and kept quiet, they would have went along with professing the delay was due to the unexpected and overwhelming response to the SS which is the only reason for the delay they have given to date. Correct? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad Polaris remedied the problem too but I question their honesty and transparency. If the journalist played along with Polaris and kept quiet, they would have went along with professing the delay was due to the unexpected and overwhelming response to the SS which is the only reason for the delay they have given to date. Correct? Am I missing something?
They have never officially given any reason for the delay to date. They have always maintained that they have been overwhelmed with orders but were always on track for an October delivery. Some of my post is lost in the translation but from what I understand this reporter would have been completely honest if he felt Polaris was jerking his chain. I believe the delay in reporting was to give them time to correct the problem before he published the story.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No, you're not missing anything.
I'm trying to get my hands on a different article that was posted here in Quebec.
The reason why Polaris was so quiet about secrecy, delivery, information etc.... The reason behind it, is all because CAN-AM was willing to do anything to put sticks in their wheels of Polaris to fail in their success......Texas is one of the examples, CAN-AM is behind this. here in Quebec you do not want to know how many spiders were returned as in exchange for the slingshot

·
Registered
915 Posts
I thought I read the delay was do to the overwhelming response in a polaris correspondence of some sort. I'll see if I can find it

·
Registered
792 Posts
CT, I truly believe that if Scott Wine was my cousin, I still would not be as well-informed as you! Thanks for sharing. Armed with this revelation, I will be even prouder to flaunt the Polaris name and quality everywhere I go!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CT, I truly believe that if Scott Wine was my cousin, I still would not be as well-informed as you! Thanks for sharing. Armed with this revelation, I will be even prouder to flaunt the Polaris name and quality everywhere I go!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the compliment Stan!
The credit on this one really goes to @luckyone and @Mike Mtl. They tried to bring it to the forum but it was lost in the French section, at their request I just helped them translate it for you guys. Mike called me very concerned that the members were unaware of this and through a (long:)) conference call we got it all together for the forum.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
We all know that many of us were very upset because of the delays, not informed, kept secret, and many of the other things from Polaris, but one thing I can tell you; I am extremely proud of Polaris for repairing the problem immediately by keeping their customers safe.......I do not care whether or not you're going to find a reason.....Polaris didn't do this, Polaris didn't do that, start saying "Polaris kept me alive by delivering me a safe machine".

Please no need to bash the company that you're going to drive the machine you buying.
Polaris keep you safe, so be thankful for it

·
Registered
915 Posts
I apologize if I am wrong, I personally don't ever remember seeing or hearing them officially give a reason.
CT, certainly no reason to apologize, I seem to remember an internal Polaris communication posted that was labeled confidential and I think Kip replied to it saying he didn't know if it was a good idea to post something confidential. Maybe it was in there? I can't find the damn thing. I wasn't necessarily bashing Polaris just questioning their "transparency". I'm absolutely glad they found and fixed a potentially life threatening problem and thanks to our Northern neighbors for bringing it to our attention!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts