Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else read the hit piece about the Slingshot from Dan Neil of the Wall Street Journal? Just noticed it on a Google search. What surprise did he find in his corn flakes this morning? Riding in a NYC cab must have its own thrills...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I haven't read it but will. I genuinely like Dan Neil. He was great on The Car Show - kind of a smart ass.

Met him at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. We were at the Cadillac dog and pony and he had a few glasses of vino in him - was hitting on my wife a bit. Really funny guy.

I'll check out the article.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok, just read it. 'Hit piece'?

He was spot on. He identified exactly what it is - simultaneously awesome and simultaneously ridiculous.

Keep in mind, Dan Neil has driven some on the greatest cars ever made - he knows what he's talking about.

He does bring up one thing that I'm concerned about - the helmet thing. It's a car, not a motorcycle - and people, myself in particular, will look like morons when pulling into a Target parking lot. My concern is that people will think I'm a silly poser driving a CAR with a helmet on, versus being a law abiding citizen in this vehicle that The Man thinks is a motorcycle.

I liked the article and their wasn't anything 'hit' about it. The car is wide at the front - very wide. It is very heavy for what it is. The rear wheel can and will lose traction since there's only contact patch with one wheel, not two. The vehicle does have mechanical front end of a Solstice. Everything about that is spot on. He says the gearbox is awesome. It is. Spot on.

He also says it's a toy - a folly - like so many toys. He's spot on about that. He says is super fun and you can do some very fun things with the ESC off. He's spot on.

Nothing 'hit' about it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
"All this is betwixt what appears to be the Solstice’s repurposed cast-aluminum upper control arms and 11.8-inch disc brakes."

As far as I knowes wrong about the chromoly frame; but what about this?

"However, the Slingshot SL has but a single rear tire and contact patch through which to express its horsepower, and so it’s surprisingly and counter-intuitively un-fast. Maybe 0-60 mph in five seconds if you nail the initial launch exactly right and you get a tailwind."

Saying 0-60 in 5 s is slow puts some perspective on where he's coming from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts