Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problem shifting into second gear when cold. After it warmed up it was fine so while repairing a minor leak in the rear end, the dealership changed gear lube in differential and transmission. Put Royal Purple in both and now the shifting problem has gotten worse. Really stiff when it's cold but then, before it gets warm, it will want to go into second gear really quick and it scratches gears going in. After it warms up completely it shifts perfectly and have no problem downshifting into second either. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
Are you confident with your dealer's expertise? Sounds like you have the wrong weight fluid.

Reactions: oldfogey

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's been nothing but an ace so far and gets great ratings from all the other owners that have taken their rides to him. I'm pretty confident in his expertise but everybody makes mistakes. That's why I'm trying to get feedback so I know where to look.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you confident with your dealer's expertise? Sounds like you have the wrong weight fluid.
Thanks Cape Sling. Didn't hit "reply" first time I read your post. Doesn't say in the manual, do you know offhand what the viscosity is supposed to be for the transmission?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I have no clue why your dealer would have changed the transmission fluid on your s/s. If I'm not mistaken, the service interval is something like 50,000 miles and they should have used a gl-3 lube, There's no reason to believe Polaris used the wrong fluid at the factory, so changing the fluid (IMHO) was done to try to show the owner they were willing to TRY something. A simple call to Polaris would have been a better option for them to follow

·
2,333 Posts
I hadn't heard that and just went with the dealership's recommendation. Next question has to be, what is a good gear lube at what viscosity?
Aisin (the transmission manufacturer) specs 75W90 GL-3 gear oil for the AX15 transmission.

Funny that your dealer would recommend something other than the official Polaris branded transmission oil ..... :rolleyes:

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
I have no clue why your dealer would have changed the transmission fluid on your s/s. If I'm not mistaken, the service interval is something like 50,000 miles and they should have used a gl-3 lube, There's no reason to believe Polaris used the wrong fluid at the factory, so changing the fluid (IMHO) was done to try to show the owner they were willing to TRY something. A simple call to Polaris would have been a better option for them to follow
Do they authorize Royal Purple - 'round here only do OEM products. Not Aftermarket ( I blew that off a long time ago)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I requested it due to the cold shifting problem. Being offered to change it at n/c and just buying the gear lube was good for me. He was fixing the leak in my differential and had to pay for the lube in it as well so I was happy for the dealership to be willing to change transmission gear lube at n/c. Other owners out of this shop have had good experience with the Royal Purple so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aisin (the transmission manufacturer) specs 75W90 GL-3 gear oil for the AX15 transmission.

Funny that your dealer would recommend something other than the official Polaris branded transmission oil ..... :rolleyes:

He said he was okay with it because the other owners had said it worked well for them.

·
2,333 Posts
He said he was okay with it because the other owners had said it worked well for them.
In a gear-case, or crankcase, I might agree with him but for a transmission my personal choice would be anything other than Royal Purple...:facepalm:

There is something about it the synchronizers just don't like ....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In a gear-case, or crankcase, I might agree with him but for a transmission my personal choice would be anything other than Royal Purple...:facepalm:

There is something about it the synchronizers just don't like ....

I have to think you're right because it wasn't this bad before I had it changed. I'll have to try getting it changed again and see what happens.:banghead:

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
Maybe change it yourself? It's really not that difficult...
He had the problem before the oil change. Think I'd go back to OEM fluid and if it still is a problem it is a warranty issue. They do break and second
has great abuse potential, eliminate all other factors and go from there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts