Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know its a matter of time before this happens. I'll be first to say I'm going to eventually try to get a new 2.0 Ecotec in that thing and do some transmission work. What about you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the 2.0T Ecotec would be sweet, but for the cost I think I'd just put a TVS supercharger on it, wouldn't even need to be intercooled. I think 250 hp is more than enough for this car/bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel as if a swap is overkill. just turbo the stock Ecotech put a chipset in it and there you have it. the thing is only 1800Lbs there is really no need to push over 400HP although i admit it'd be fun

·
Registered
45 Posts
A simpler swap would be to do a Honda KA like what the new Atom has. The ecotec isn't a bad engine but its not great by any means.
Not always easy to mount a transverse engine in place of a longitudinal one. Is there a tranny that would mate up easy with a K swap in that orientation?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Not always easy to mount a transverse engine in place of a longitudinal one. Is there a tranny that would mate up easy with a K swap in that orientation?
Sure it is the ecotec engine is that in the slingshot is only available in front wheel drive transverse in GM cars. Swap in a K series use a adapter plate for the stock tranny or buy a adapter plate and run the Honda S2000 tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I
Sure it is the ecotec engine is that in the slingshot is only available in front wheel drive transverse in GM cars. Swap in a K series use a adapter plate for the stock tranny or buy a adapter plate and run the Honda S2000 tranny.
Not true, the Ecotec in the SS is the exact same engine and trans from the Sky/Solstice. You may be right about it being easy to make an adapter plate for the K series, but why go to all the trouble? There are plenty of Ecotecs running around in the world with 400-600 hp.

The 2.4 might not be ideal, but you could swap in the 2.0T from the Sky redline / Solstice GXP. Should be way easier as far as wiring and everything else goes. But I guess where there's a will there's a way, and people can choose to do whatever makes them happy. ;-)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I think I

Not true, the Ecotec in the SS is the exact same engine and trans from the Sky/Solstice. You may be right about it being easy to make an adapter plate for the K series, but why go to all the trouble? There are plenty of Ecotecs running around in the world with 400-600 hp.

The 2.4 might not be ideal, but you could swap in the 2.0T from the Sky redline / Solstice GXP. Should be way easier as far as wiring and everything else goes. But I guess where there's a will there's a way, and people can choose to do whatever makes them happy. ;-)

Ahhh thats right! forgot about those cars kinda like the rest of the world. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ahhh thats right! forgot about those cars kinda like the rest of the world. lol
If they would have made them little coupes to begin with they would have been the BRZ before there was a BRZ... :p Speaking of engine swaps though, there was plenty of room in those engine bays for a LSx swap...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I doubt the LE5 will ever give me a reason to swap it out but I've put Mazda rotaries in everything else so I'd probably do it to the SS. The 13B will only bump the HP to around 210 but I'd be after the 100 pound weight loss as much as the extra HP.

I can't wait to get my SS on the track!

·
Registered
41 Posts
More power is great guys, But I wonder about a few things.

1. That gear box that transfers from shaft drive to belt drive how over rated is it? can it handle extra power?

3. Belt, at what point in increasing power does the belt start jumping a tooth or three.

4. When/If you add a stickier Rear Tire, what will that do to wear and tear to the rear gearbox (Not the Transmission, the Gearbox) and belt.

If the Rear tire breaks loose traction, less force is put on the gear box and Belt, which are probably the weak link, in the drive train.

Hooking up and having Great traction put much more stress on the drive train.

That may be the reason that they went to a harder tire so that it will lose traction and be less harsh on the drive train.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. That gear box that transfers from shaft drive to belt drive how over rated is it? can it handle extra power?

3. Belt, at what point in increasing power does the belt start jumping a tooth or three.

4. When/If you add a stickier Rear Tire, what will that do to wear and tear to the rear gearbox (Not the Transmission, the Gearbox) and belt.

If the Rear tire breaks loose traction, less force is put on the gear box and Belt, which are probably the weak link, in the drive train.

Hooking up and having Great traction put much more stress on the drive train.

That may be the reason that they went to a harder tire so that it will lose traction and be less harsh on the drive train.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Only one rear tire in the back, it's overkill if it's anything beyond 200hp unless you're only after bragging rights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts