Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So someone posted in a thread recently about just using bluetooth speakers if we can find a way to wire them with an amp. I was thinking that if we can do this, there might not be anything to take up the space on my base model where the radio goes. Anyone think I would be able to add a locking box of some sort there?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not a car audiophile and I suppose I can google it - but....

Does any sort of audio bluetooth speaker exist? There are myriad options for home use. Rather than a head unit wired into an amp, then speakers, etc - why not just a set of bluetooth speakers in the car (speaker pods) and then your phone streams the music via bluetooth directly to the speakers? Your iPhone serves as the head unit (just as it would for a Bose or Jawbox) and speakers would be wired into the car's battery?

Anyone aware of this? I'm sure it has to be possible

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking some more 'built in'. That is, speakers in the pods as the SL has and powered by the car battery. The only difference is that there's no head unit. The 'head unit' is the iPhone itself. No wiring, no harness, no amp. Just the phone sending a bluetooth music stream to the speakers.

For example, I have the Bose bluetooth speaker thing (holds a power charge or DC outlet). Plays music streamed from the iPhone in my pocket. Exact same concept, but the speakers would have a built appearance ala the pods and get power from the car.

That possible?

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I'm with ya now.

I am not sure there is anything out there that exists which would be "built-in" so you would have to take something like the fugoo, disassemble it, then remount it in a built in enclosure (or just mount the enclosure it comes in). It can be wired to the ignition switch easy enough (only on with the key, etc.) but my concern with anything built in - I am getting a base - is that it is a prime target for theft. With a portable bluetooth speaker you can lock it away or take it with you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I'm not overly concerned with people stealing speakers from me in my area. But Swinglo, your description is exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm gonna run by the local car audio system store sometime soon and ask them their opinion. I really want a superior system given that I've never had any system.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
So someone posted in a thread recently about just using bluetooth speakers if we can find a way to wire them with an amp. I was thinking that if we can do this, there might not be anything to take up the space on my base model where the radio goes. Anyone think I would be able to add a locking box of some sort there?
Option A: You can get a bluetooth amp and run normal speakers. I like this BT amp from Kicker.

Option B: Or you can use a bluetooth self powered speaker, like this one below that I own and like. For the first few hundred miles, I will use it for music and just drop it into a cup holder.

The only problem with BT self powered speakers is that most only hold charge for 4-8 hours. You could easily keep it plugged into a power invertor, but who wants to mess with all of that if option A works?

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any of those portable BT speakers can be run off of a DC (cigarrette lighter) outlet hardwired to the battery. That what I did on my bike. $5 worth of parts from radio shack

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like option A actually, that's really what I was looking for in the first place, but I didn't think that was a thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts