·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...The Competition?
LOL!
jk
There is none.

No competition for price, functionality, capability, accessories, DIY modifiability, aftermarket parts/hop-ups potential...

·
Registered
555 Posts
There is no competition because there is no SS yet. Additionally, how can have aftermarket parts, etc when you have no vehicle exists.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So with the news of the latest SS delay (Pre order delivery now in Jan 2015 or later ) I'm actually reconsidering. This was originally posted on the "Real Info" thread as a semi joke. But now I'm serious.

On my way to workshop to resurect my old Trike project.

But Thinking of starting from scratch with a front clip of a FWD car instead of the RX-7 & MC power to rear. Makes it a lot easier to integrate power train and eliminates the 'reverse' dilemma. And I bet it will kick the SS's ass in 0 - 60.

Any suggestions about what model car would be good to start with?

Maybe a new thread needed:
What to Do When Polaris 'Jumps The Shark'. :mad:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
So with the news of the latest SS delay (Pre order delivery now in Jan 2015 or later ) I'm actually reconsidering. This was originally posted on the "Real Info" thread as a semi joke. But now I'm serious.

On my way to workshop to resurect my old Trike project.

But Thinking of starting from scratch with a front clip of a FWD car instead of the RX-7 & MC power to rear. Makes it a lot easier to integrate power train and eliminates the 'reverse' dilemma. And I bet it will kick the SS's ass in 0 - 60.

Any suggestions about what model car would be good to start with?

Maybe a new thread needed:
What to Do When Polaris 'Jumps The Shark'. :mad:
A Slingshot killer?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A Slingshot killer?
Definitely.

To justify the effort it will have to out perform the SS by a good bit. I have no hope of equaling the cosmetics of the SS so it will have to Go Like Hell. I've always been a 'function over form' kind of guy anyway...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Why not start with a cobalt SS or an HHR SS. 2 L turbo, 260 hp and front-wheel-drive. Also, torque steer city!
Excellent thought! I normally gravatate to Japanese hardware and was initially thinking in terms of Accord or something similar. But I forgot about the SS versions of those cars. The turbo power makes much more sense here than on a SS. Have to think about the torque steer thing.

I like it! Those can probably be had for lots less $ too.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Japanese FWD for many things but a few years ago I drove an HHR SS on a lark and bought it. It was a shockingly good, but (butt) ugly car. Any front wheel drive with lots of power will suffer from torque steer so I wouldn't be too concerned. At least GM tried to minimize it with these cars.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Affirmative on the 'butt ugly' ! but guess it doesn't matter on this project since I'm loosing all that fat! Or maybe the Cobalt SS if I end up using a bit of the sheet metal. Would want to use the one with the widest track so that would probably be the HHR. So many things to consider, but that's part of the fun too.

Thanks again for the tip C.G.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you are going to do a project anyway why does it have to be three wheels and FWD? Why not just strip the body off of a RWD donor like this? 2.0T with 42K miles - asking price is only $16K.

Can even use the seats, interior. Get some ideas from Mike Mtl for a simple roadster body kit and BAM!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Dang JD, that looks like too nice a ride to strip!
I was thinking of 4 wheels at one time but I'd probably do an Exocet if I went that route.

I'm not sure why the three wheel thing appeals to me but it does.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Anything can be done when you have the budget to go with it
Everyone is probably tired of hearing about my SS alternative project but here is the latest. I still plan to get my SS (whenever it gets here) but I need something to keep me sane in the meantime.

I posted the last plan (using an E46 series BMW donor car to start with) on the 'Real Info' thread. That led to thinking I'd gotten over the attraction to 3 wheels and decided to keep the 4th wheel and just strip it, add tube roll cage and be done. Found that you can buy a mechanically good (but with body damage) Bimmer for less than the deposit on my SS. Almost bought it last night but got to thinking about the Trike project (using an RX-7 front end) I already started.

Really antsy to get started so instead of whacking off (no, not that!) the rear end of the RX for the 3rd wheel treatment, decided to 'strip & roll cage' it instead. It'll be a Rotary engine version of the Exocet Miata or a poor man's X-Bow. That's what I was thinking about back in July when the damn SS distracted me.

Between the project and this forum, it's the only thing keeping me sane while waiting for the SS Unicorn. Hmmmm... I name all my machines, maybe that's what I'll call it when it comes.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Everyone is probably tired of hearing about my SS alternative project but here is the latest. I still plan to get my SS (whenever it gets here) but I need something to keep me sane in the meantime.

I posted the last plan (using an E46 series BMW donor car to start with) on the 'Real Info' thread. That led to thinking I'd gotten over the attraction to 3 wheels and decided to keep the 4th wheel and just strip it, add tube roll cage and be done. Found that you can buy a mechanically good (but with body damage) Bimmer for less than the deposit on my SS. Almost bought it last night but got to thinking about the Trike project (using an RX-7 front end) I already started.

Really antsy to get started so instead of whacking off (no, not that!) the rear end of the RX for the 3rd wheel treatment, decided to 'strip & roll cage' it instead. It'll be a Rotary engine version of the Exocet Miata or a poor man's X-Bow. That's what I was thinking about back in July when the damn SS distracted me.

Between the project and this forum, it's the only thing keeping me sane while waiting for the SS Unicorn. Hmmmm... I name all my machines, maybe that's what I'll call it when it comes.
Otter, I would like it if you would consider starting a new thread for your project so we can follow along vicariously. It should be very interesting to watch your project evolve (with hopefully lots of pics) and not have to dig through different threads and posts to follow what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Otter, I would like it if you would consider starting a new thread for your project so we can follow along vicariously. It should be very interesting to watch your project evolve (with hopefully lots of pics) and not have to dig through different threads and posts to follow what you are doing.
OK HotRod, I'll have to think of a subject, couldn't think of a better one than this off top of my head. "The What" will probably be as good a name for my project as any. It sure won't have the polished look of your avatar. BTW, is that one of your rides? What's under the hood?

I'm looking forward to comparing "The What" to my SS and will post updates of progress.

·
Registered
619 Posts
OK HotRod, I'll have to think of a subject, couldn't think of a better one than this off top of my head. "The What" will probably be as good a name for my project as any. It sure won't have the polished look of your avatar. BTW, is that one of your rides? What's under the hood?

I'm looking forward to comparing "The What" to my SS and will post updates of progress.
Otter thank you for your project "The What". I wonder if after you finally do receive your SS you will be having too much fun to take the time to start a new project.
My avatar is a famous hot rod built by Oliver Hine. It is a composite of 25 different cars and is based on a '33 5 window Ford Coupe. It has won innumerable awards that fill several trophy cases. It has been featured in many Hot Rod magazines and has won the "Best In Show" at the Autorama in Detroit 3 times and the Preservation Award. The current owner is only the second person lucky enough to be its owner/ custodian and is a friend of ours. It is called the Brewster because it wears a modified Brewster car grill. It is an exceptional car up close and perfect in every respect. It is powered by a Caddy V-8 and it really steps out!
It recently spent 1 year on display at the famous Gilmore Car Museum. The owner missed it so much he recently sprung it loose. He takes perfect care of it and it is always a featured car when on display at auto shows across the nation. It enjoys a magnificent reputation. I thought it would be the perfect avatar for this forum and my pseudonym. I do wish it were mine but it carries a dear value.
I appreciate your asking about it.
See this link:

https://www.facebook.com/GilmoreCarMuseum/posts/10152553446712880

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts