Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am not a current Slingshot owner, however my husband really wants one. While we are not financially in a place to purchase one, he is turning 40 in July and I would love to rent one for him for a day or two. I'm having difficulty however finding a place to rent a slingshot. I found one on Turo, but it's manual transmission, and I need automatic. Does anyone have suggestions or could guide me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
You'll need to find a 2020 Slingshot since they now offer an automatic transmission on the SL model and a choice of automatic or manual with a larger motor on the R model. The 2020 SL models have started showing up in dealer showrooms, but the R models are generally not yet available. Hiopefully, someone will offer 2020s for rent soon. Just don't rent an R model for your husband since the extra horsepower may make him want an R model if you ever decide to buy a Slingshot.

I just seardhed Google for "2020 Polaris Slingshot automatic rentals Washington, DC area" and din't find any 2020 models for rent. There is a 2017 Slingshot for rent in Gaithersburg, MD. Eagle Rider lists Slingshot rentals, but I'm not sure if they have them at the fairfax, VA location.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh okay. That's why I couldn't find something in automatic. If I could get him one now I would, he is so in love with the vehicle! Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Also check the Regional Forums here and you mgiht find a local owner who is willing to give him a ride and maybe even let him drive a little. Before I finally got mine in Texas back in 2015, I got tired of waiting for Texas to allow sales and was thinking about buying a Can Am 3-wheeler, but I met someone while testifying before the Texas Legislature who let me drive his for about 1 hour and I was hooked and waited for Texas to get its stuff together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check the Regional Forums here and you mgiht find a local owner who is willing to give him a ride and maybe even let him drive a little. Before I finally got mine in Texas back in 2015, I got tired of waiting for Texas to allow sales and was thinking about buying a Can Am 3-wheeler, but I met someone while testifying before the Texas Legislature who let me drive his for about 1 hour and I was hooked and waited for Texas to get its stuff together.

Thank you! I will do some research on here tonight!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I forgot to mention that if you can afford a used Slingshot, you can get a good deal, especially compared to the cost of the new 2020 models. There are several companies that do conversions from manual to automatic transmission at a cost around $5-6,000 and up, depending on options. With luck, you might even find a Slingshot that has already been converted to an automatic transmission. Generally speaking, mods only return approximately 50% of their cost when the Slingshot is resold.
The "automatic transmission" on the new 2020 models is actually a manual transmission with an auto-shifting mechanism that makes a manual transmission perform like an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have read good things about the 2020 Slingshots and they sound like Polaris has done a lot to improve them with a higher revving engine that requires more shifting, but presents a motorycle-like experience int erms of keeping the motor in its best power range for whatever speed you're traveling. The automatic is something I feel will appeal to a lot of drivers who didn't want the manual transmission. The new AutoDrive may take some getting used to as far as how it shifts.
IOne of the main influeneces I had in choosing my Slingshot was Polaris' use of a GM engine with an extensive history and plenty of repair part availability. Polaris has reportedly been testing their new Polaris-designed engine for 2 years now, but I still feel having the GM motor is a plus. Polaris was doubling the 2 year warranty for pre-orders, but I don't know if that option is still offered. I installed a turbo in late 2017 after my factory 2 year warranty expired and now have 20,000 miles on the turbo'd motor and 56,000 miles total. and haven't had any problems other than the recalls Polaris has issued. The GM motor makes power and torque at lower rpms (173 HP/166 ft lbs) than the new 2020 motor. The 2020 SL with automatic trans comes with 178 HP, but only 120 ft lbs of torque. The R model has 203 HP and 144 ft lbs of torque. Real-world testing has shown the automatic SL to be a little slower in 0-60 mph than the GM-powered Slingshot with manual transmission, but I expect the R model with the automatic will be close to the older Slingshot in 0-60 mph times and maybe even a little faster than the older GM-powered Slingshots, but the R model is over $31K!
It should be possible to find used versions the 1st generation, GM-powered Slingshot for as low as around $11K or so, depending on mileage and mods. Newer 1st gen Slingshots with the mabual trans can be found well under $20K or so, depending on model. Driving the manual trans can be a lot of fun unless you're stuck in city traffic! Worst case, it should still be possible to find a used 1st gen Slingshot and convert it to an automatic transmission for thousands less than you'd pay for the new 2020 SL automatic Slingshot.
This was the first forum I found, but there is a newer forum that split-off from this one with lots of Slingshot Info.
Ok. I'll try to stop now. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts