Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this looks like a must have accessory!

slingshot-interior-lighting.png

The LED lighting installs in the cockpit under the dashboard and casts a dramatic blue light in the cockpit. The light control switch can also be adjusted so a bright white light is provided, which provides riders with convenient interior light for functions like finding their keys, reading a map or checking their smart phones.
Lighting Kit adds warm, blue, custom LED lighting inside the cockpit

Blue light is intended to enhance the vehicle’s sporty, custom style while in use White light provides riders with convenient light they can use to see objects in the cockpit when the vehicle is not in use Control switch provides driver with choice of three settings: blue lighting while vehicle is in use; white lighting when vehicle is stationary; & off

Lighting connects to vehicle’s electrical system & has a low-amperage draw

·
Registered
32 Posts
total waste of money, I can spend less and design a custom RGB lighting solution that will change color based on vehicle speed. Once I get my Slingshot and install my LED's I'll take some videos for you guys, hell, I might just make "kits" for anyone here not wanting to blow $145 for two blue/white LED's and a switch.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that sounds awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

total waste of money, I can spend less and design a custom RGB lighting solution that will change color based on vehicle speed. Once I get my Slingshot and install my LED's I'll take some videos for you guys, hell, I might just make "kits" for anyone here not wanting to blow $145 for two blue/white LED's and a switch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How much do you think your set-up will cost?

On anything, its almost higher from the manufacturer/dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, rough estimate, I could probably make the board, for $20, the GPS module would be roughly $50 or less, $10 for an antenna, and maybe $20 for 1M worth of LED's in a weatherproof casing. I'm also thinking about adding a readout and an accellerometer to show off the G's. This is all rough ballpark high prices. Once I get my hands on my Slingshot, I'll work on something, odds are very high that I can get this down to $75, especially if I do a group build or something. If you don't know, most electronic vendors bend you over if you order parts in single quantities, so I plan to order larger quantities to lower my cost to manufacture.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:spam: ^^^^^ I really don't think this is the right thread to be peddling some home grown Radio Shack DIY alternative. :wtf:

~ $150 is not a lot to ask, for a factory installed color select LED system with proper wiring, components, connections, routing, etc... not to mention not having to remove the steering wheel and contort yourself just to install some stuff you hope works from some random guy with a soldering station. :facepalm:

No offense :blackeye:

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're free to think what you want. Radio shack? you make me laugh. This is child's play compared to the robotics platforms and other projects I've built. If you think $150 is fair for a LED light kit, by all means, go get it. I'm just letting others know that I plan on making something exponentially better for less cost. By the way, soldering station, please, I have a reflow oven and will be using surface mount components, here's a picture of my last project, waiting to move before I finish assembly:

https://flic.kr/p/ojwRE3

·
Registered
106 Posts
Somehow I knew we'd get your resume after my post.

Just make sure you keep in mind when selecting components, that the interior can be hosed down. Therefore, plan on waterproof components with your pricing, and the added cost of annual approved sponsored vendor dues, along with warranty, support, etc...

I just don't think the $150 factory option added to the already 20+K and immediate gratification should be considered a "waste of money" as you put it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
vendor dues? warranty? Are you aware of the maker community? As far as waterproof components, not needed, I'll probably just 3D print a case and seal it. The GPS antenna and LED's are already sealed water tight, so those aren't an issue. Also, you make it sound like you plan to pressure wash the interior, while I'm sure you can most of it, I'm positive that the LCD screen and speakers should be avoided when using a pressurized method of cleaning. This would be the same practice for my module. I'm working on schematics now. I'll try to get one built for testing within the next month or so, it won't be pretty, but it will serve as a functional test before I get the boards printed.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
:spam: ^^^^^ I really don't think this is the right thread to be peddling some home grown Radio Shack DIY alternative. :wtf:

~ $150 is not a lot to ask, for a factory installed color select LED system with proper wiring, components, connections, routing, etc... not to mention not having to remove the steering wheel and contort yourself just to install some stuff you hope works from some random guy with a soldering station. :facepalm:

No offense :blackeye:
This is the perfect threat to start peddling his wares to the masses. :p

Let's not give too much credit to Polaris here: they are no Ford, Toyota, or GM when it comes to building vehicles. Just look at the engine bay of the SS - Radio Shack zip ties everywhere. Look at the lazy routing of the radiator overflow reservoir. I'm not complaining as this is what keeps the price of the SS low but don't expect artwork with the LED install. It will probably be installed at the dealership which is also scary but it should have some sort of warranty even if only for 30 days.

Having said that I will probably buy the "factory" LEDs but I can't wait to see what Shortcut comes up with installed on a SS.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess it's just me, and the forum etiquettes I'm used to. :sour:

It sure seemed like a thread titled, " Polaris Slingshot Interior LED Lighting Kit " with comments and pictures about the Polaris Option would not need to turn into a "Look what I can sell you instead, to take away money from Polaris before the damn thing even comes out" thread. Seems a different thread should be started, perhaps in a Parts / For Sale area, Gauging Interest thread - call me crazy.

[sarcasm] brb - I'm gonna go design a different windscreen, rain cover, stereo and any other waste-of-money factory options I can think of before launch, so people don't waste thousands paying Polaris for their designs. [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
32 Posts
not to shift topics, but I did notice those zip ties everywhere, WTF, I mean really? They couldn't use plastic ring snaps?

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I guess it's just me, and the forum etiquettes I'm used to. :sour:

It sure seemed like a thread titled, " Polaris Slingshot Interior LED Lighting Kit " with comments and pictures about the Polaris Option would not need to turn into a "Look what I can sell you instead, to take away money from Polaris before the damn thing even comes out" thread. Seems a different thread should be started, perhaps in a Parts / For Sale area, Gauging Interest thread - call me crazy.

[sarcasm] brb - I'm gonna go design a different windscreen, rain cover, stereo and any other waste-of-money factory options I can think of before launch, so people don't waste thousands paying Polaris for their designs. [/sarcasm]
I do agree. And hopefully (as the etiquette I am used to) he will start another thread called "look at my awesome Radio Shack LEDs!!!!" (Sorry Shortcut. I couldn't resist).

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread... about Polaris' LED accessory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
no offense, I plan on making an actual post once I get a working prototype, the whole thing got started here because I think $150 for some LED's and a switch is insanely high. FFS, you can get the same "kit" in a car for $50, or go to autozone for about $20 for some single color neon tubes. I had only brought up my intentions and my thoughts on possibly selling (read the thread, I never said I WAS selling, only that I might if people were interested), since the smallest batch I can get on PCB's is an order of 10. If you want the factory option go for it, I'm a maker, I'll fashion my own products for electronics and be happier.

·
Registered
95 Posts
While I have no problem with individuals creating their own "products" for the Slingshot, if I'm dropping $25k on this vehicle, an extra $150 for the factory plug-and-play lights is really de minimus to the over all purchase price. But that's just me...

:cigar:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts