Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MW-DA931_Polari_20141205165128_ZH.jpg

Let’s say you have had a particularly good year and you have $23,999 in fresh currency to toss into the burn barrel in the backyard. Go ahead, make a night of it. Oh, pretty. See how the new anticounterfeiting measures sparkle in the fire?

I was meditating on what sort of people would buy the Polaris Slingshot SL, a three-wheel cry for help from the power-sports toy factory in Medina, Minn. (the Slingshot SL is assembled in Spirit Lake, Iowa). What unites these consumers, I’ve concluded, is their anarchic disregard for $24,000. Beyond that, motives vary, as they must in the purchase of anything with rubber seats.

Not surprisingly, because it looks like it came out of a Hot Wheels package, the Slingshot SL is mobbed everywhere it goes by adolescent boys selfie-ing themselves blind with it. Gack! Ohmigod, mister! Can I sit in it? What is it?

If a tandem-seated motorcycle is a stiletto between the ribs of traffic, the Slingshot SL is a meat mallet. You are not cheating any lanes in this thing.
Well, son, the law considers it a motorcycle and so driver and passenger are obliged to wear helmets in helmet-law states. Which is a drag and kind of a stopper, for me. Imagine taking this thing out for a Saturday drive and coming to a stoplight, with lots of traffic around. And there you and your passenger are, just sitting there in this preposterous, conversation-stopping three-wheel Gundam mobile-mecha, in the sun, and everybody is looking at you, wondering if you have been separated from your strike force. Uh, hi…

MW-DA932_Polari_20141205165716_ZH.jpg

I am not at all quibbling with the Slingshot SL’s classification or the requirement to wear helmets, by the way. This machine has no air bags and a chrome-moly frame that, while surely well made and properly engineered...

Read more at http://www.marketwatch.com/story/polaris-slingshot-an-odd-way-to-blow-24000-2014-12-06?siteid=rss&utm_content=bufferf6181&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
A buddy of mine just sent me this article.. My reply back to him was

"Now that[s some funny sh*t.. I'm guessing this guy rides a Rebel 250 and at the bottom of the pay scale where he works?

Everywhere I park this thing.. I get a crowd of folks piling up , giving me the thumbs up, asking question after question. Then they eventually ask .. "how much" .. and their next answer is .. "that all? I thought it'd be 2x that!" ..

On a serious note.. you know how I feel about it. Lets be honest, it makes zero sense for someone like you and I that have bikes and vettes already. And Leanne borderline begged me not to buy it.. but.. rode in it on Sunday and likes it better than riding on a bike .. go figure :) That all being said, if I had any brains I'd probably sell the Vette in my case.. but .. I don't see that happening...

I'm thinking these things are going to sell like hot cakes for the next few years. Who's buying them? My dealer for one.. can't ride a bike anymore since a car accident he was in a few years back..but, he took delivery of the first one to his door.. he did a toy run in it yesterday and was a huge hit. Gal down at Corner Street Pub now wants one..... a guy at work wants one after he saw my pics....

BUT.. I've had a dozen or so folks sound just like this writer ... they don't get it. Hell, I didnt' truly get it until I drove off into the sunset with it ( literally ) .. hehehe

Keep sending me the Pro / Con write ups.. I love it!"

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Wish this writer was correct about the chrome-moly frame. I doubt it though. The SS likely wouldn't have weighed 1700 pounds if it was.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, the good news is I always loved the Pontiac Solstice! Combine that with a motorcycle and you have a win/win in my opinion. Oh, and $24,000.00...I can't take it to the grave. The drive there should at least be fun and with style!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts