Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
2,333 Posts
I understand the authors reputation and high standing in the automotive community, and there will always be naysayers with anything out of the box, but am I correct in that I didn't read he actually drove it ? Stock photos and it read like he stuck together information from others articles, the press releases, and video. Having read many of his reviews in the past far too many seem to have been written from his desk and not behind the wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Again it is not a car. He says several times that the slingshot is dangerous compared to a car. He says that in a head on collision with a pickup the slingshot passage would be wrapped up in the frame. What motorcycle is safe in front end collisions with motorcycles or any collisions ? I saw Jeremy Clarkson from top gear last night on Net flicks taking a motorcycle through Viet Nam. He complained the whole time saying he would rather be in a car. These critics are not bike guys. Driving a bike incorporates a level of danger that is accepted by the operator and separates them from the other "safety minded" car drivers. There are a lot of ways to end up in a funeral home. If I died on a bike it would not be worse then counting the minutes in a home.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A fairly predictable article and I expect we will see many more just like it. Car enthusiasts pointing out every possible flaw in the SS as compared to convertible or worse yet, fully caged sports cars. Hardcore MC riders who tell us how the SS flies in the face of the true two-wheeled adventure. The SS is not going to be for everyone and that is fine by me.

One question I would like to ask the author though. Did you actually drive it and was the experience so bad that it made you think anyone purchasing it was just burning twenty grand? That's seems like a bit of a stretch, even for someone that seems to prefer a vehicle with four contact patches and a five star safety rating.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agree with you all I do. Funny, owning a fiberglass kit car with a 620 hp motor and it only weighing 2100 lbs with no airbags, guaranteed to lose a fight with a pickup was still unbelievable. Worth the risk and I feel better comfort wise in traffic with this so far than I did on my HD street glide. The guy writing this article has no idea what fun really is that it isn't trying to compare to other vehicles. It is a new segment for those who want something new and FUN! Count me in!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Talking heads pi#$ me off. Especially ones that haven't walked in the shoes. Losers

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems from reading the review it is clear to me that he drove the slingshot. (As an aside we got our first official 0-60 number: 5 seconds).

It was a bit of snarky review but I think ultimately fair the slingshot is a niche product that means by definition most people won't like it. His review seems very mixed. And points out the limitations we all know about.

I think it's still pretty amazing that Polaris delivered a product for around $20k that is fun and sort of a blank canvas. New brakes, better springs, maybe a turbo and rear wheel - and wow!!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The article ends in an odd fashion. Its almost like.... I dont like Polaris and refuse to endorse this thing. And then, hes like... Kick the traction control off and take out a some camber and this thing is super fun.

We have to remember that he most likely drove a pre-production model. It is very possible/likely that there have been improvements to the production models.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, you guys are really defensive. There's nothing that he said that isn't really accurate. It's a toy. It is dangerous on roads full of texting morons and distracted mothers. He also says it's incredibly fun and talks about the cool things you can do when you take the ESC off. He praises the lump and the fantastic gear box. He talks of how it's heavy as compared to its contemporaries. Can't disagree with any of that.

Dan Neil is a very well respected auto journalist and has driven, on road and track, some of the most amazing machines of today and yesterday. When a guy has driven a 1920's Blower Bentley at Laguna Seca or a V12 Vanquish at 180mph on the Autobahn or a Ferrari 250GTO down Highway 1, I'll take him at his word.

Again, I really didn't see anything wrong with what he wrote. This vehicle, like many purpose built vehicles is a toy. A folly. And for, like most toys, we love them. They are crazy, goofy and fun. That's what he said and he's accurate.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I could actually buy the fact that he drove one except for the burning $20k comment. And he mentions it enough times to sound like an idiot that has never owned a toy. I have owned lots of toys over the years that are not exactly, practical, safe or inexpensive but they were all a blast and the fun was worth every penny.

Perhaps he only burns his cash at Disney World getting his kicks riding in tea cups. Maybe if Polaris would have sent Mickey and Minnie along to take a ride and a photo with him he would have felt a little better about the price. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is it really that amazing? Not a hell of a lot of engineering involved. The idea has been done many times. A welded tube frame has been done on a bajillion vehicles since the damn of man. The mechanicals are a relatively inexpensive lot from an existing platform. The interior is basic. The body panels are plastic. There really isn't that much in the vehicle that would drive the price up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy the vehicle is $20K. VERY happy.

On the contrary, I look at something like an Atom and say - 'very cool', but is it REALLY a $60K plus thing? A basic welded exoskeleton, some body panels and 'store-bought' mechanicals. And in a very tiny package.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I could actually buy the fact that he drove one except for the burning $20k comment. And he mentions it enough times to sound like an idiot that has never owned a toy. I have owned lots of toys over the years that are not exactly, practical, safe or inexpensive but they were all a blast and the fun was worth every penny.

Perhaps he only burns his cash at Disney World getting his kicks riding in tea cups. Maybe if Polaris would have sent Mickey and Minnie along to take a ride and a photo with him he would have felt a little better about the price. :)
I think you guys are overthinking it and frankly, getting a bit oversensitive.

I think we can all agree this thing is a 'toy'. It's not a daily driver, can't be used in weather, isn't something you'd take to work, etc. It's a toy. An awesome one, but a toy. It really is blowing $24K on something that gets specific use. And that's ok.

Ok, let's agree on that. Now, different types of enthusiasts have different types of toys. Some, like myself, are car guys. Some are motorcycle guys. Some are ATV/UTV/RAZR guys. Some are snowmobile guys. All good.

I think it's the prospective that you look at if from. Dan Neil is a very well respected CAR enthusiast/journalist. Not an ATV guy or a snowmobile guy. So, he looks at it through the prism of cars.

And as for Mickey Mouse, etc. - that's just not accurate. He used to be on The Car Show with Adam Corolla (a Lambo enthusiast and vintage Datsun SCCA racer) and Matt Farah - well respected auto journalist dude who did one of the first reviews of the SS. Dan was very fair and frankly, pretty damn funny on that show. On one episode, he's driving a 250 Ferrari GTO - one of the greatest performance/race vehicles EVER (oh, and worth about $40M). On another he's driving a V12 Vanquish at 180mph on the Autobahn. On another, he's driving a priceless 20's Blower Bentley at Laguna Seca. I'd bet he's spent more time behind the wheel of performance beasts than most of us combined. I trust what the guy says.

But again, I'm really not seeing the bashing. He highlighted some shortcomings but spent just as much time talking about the cool and fun factor. Again, he ended the article with the word 'priceless' after discussing fun that can be had with ESC turned off.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts