Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris Industries today posted 1/4th Quarter results for 2017 setting record highs! and Slingshots sales played a significant role!
Reported sales for the fourth quarter of 2017 increased 18% to a record $1,431 millionGross sales were up 18 %
and specifically, from the motorcyle division ,
Indian Motorcycles wholegood sales increased in the high-single digit percent range in the fourth quarter, while Slingshot® sales more than doubled. Gross profit for the fourth quarter of 2017 was $5 million compared to $1 million in the fourth quarter of 2016. Adjusted for the Victory Motorcycles wind down costs of $3 million, motorcycle gross profit was $8 million, up from the fourth quarter last year due to higher sales volume for both Indian Motorcycles and Slingshot and lower warranty costs.

See the full report at the link below
Polaris Industries Inc. - Polaris Reports 2017 Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
A couple of funny lines from that report.

"Adjusted for the Victory Motorcycles wind down costs of $3 million, motorcycle gross profit was $8 million, up from the fourth quarter last year due to higher sales volume for both Indian Motorcycles and Slingshot and lower warranty costs."

Lower warranty costs? Does that include recalls? If so, then chyeah! Once the recalls were completed, of course the cost went down.

"Slingshot's retail sales were up significantly due to improved product availability compared to the fourth quarter last year."

I was under the impression that some dealers were sitting on a lot of stock. Perhaps removing stock from the markets that aren't selling many, like the northern climates, and moving them to the south increased availability in the areas that needed it?

I know it is an impossible stat to come up with, I wonder how many of the new 2017-2018 SSs that were purchased last year went previous owners who upgraded or had the warranty run out? That would mean the used market is full up as well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
A couple of funny lines from that report.

"Adjusted for the Victory Motorcycles wind down costs of $3 million, motorcycle gross profit was $8 million, up from the fourth quarter last year due to higher sales volume for both Indian Motorcycles and Slingshot and lower warranty costs."

Lower warranty costs? Does that include recalls? If so, then chyeah! Once the recalls were completed, of course the cost went down.

"Slingshot's retail sales were up significantly due to improved product availability compared to the fourth quarter last year."

I was under the impression that some dealers were sitting on a lot of stock. Perhaps removing stock from the markets that aren't selling many, like the northern climates, and moving them to the south increased availability in the areas that needed it?

I know it is an impossible stat to come up with, I wonder how many of the new 2017-2018 SSs that were purchased last year went previous owners who upgraded or had the warranty run out? That would mean the used market is full up as well.
I purchased my Slingshot new on October 27, 2017. The day I picked mine up, the 3 other models had been sold and 7 new ones came in. They all were sold and replenished again. This was winter months so someone is bull crapping on sales. NJ is northern and these things are hot cakes up here. I had to order mine and wait 6 weeks for it to be delivered. I looked all over and none of the dealers within a 75 mile radius had any in stock, now they are starting to pop up and the first sign of warmer weather, they will be hard to find. Furthermore, you can look at many facebook pages for SS owners and you will see nationwide, the numbers are increasing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow doubled. I find that hard to believe. When I bought my 2015 in July of 15 you could not find them in stock. Now when I go into a dealer they have multiple units in stock. My riend is looking for one and deals are crazy good. Like there giving them away.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
This is good news, hopefully the folks here in the Pacific NorthWest will follow suit and sales will turn around.............................!

Bill

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I purchased my Slingshot new on October 27, 2017. The day I picked mine up, the 3 other models had been sold and 7 new ones came in. They all were sold and replenished again. This was winter months so someone is bull crapping on sales. NJ is northern and these things are hot cakes up here. I had to order mine and wait 6 weeks for it to be delivered. I looked all over and none of the dealers within a 75 mile radius had any in stock, now they are starting to pop up and the first sign of warmer weather, they will be hard to find. Furthermore, you can look at many facebook pages for SS owners and you will see nationwide, the numbers are increasing.
I completely agree. It's just funny that some Polaris dealers are dropping the Slingshots or having them pulled from their stores while others are "hot cakes". I'm not sure if it is marketing, regional brand preference, or just simply that people in some areas are into the SS more than others. It seems like Idaho, Washington and Oregon would have similar sales to Vermont, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, Minnesota, etc. I'm fine with it. Just makes them more unique.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wow doubled. I find that hard to believe. When I bought my 2015 in July of 15 you could not find them in stock. Now when I go into a dealer they have multiple units in stock. My riend is looking for one and deals are crazy good. Like there giving them away.
The best way to judge them is to look at the V.I.N. from recent sales. My V.I.N. in October 6118 and I have seen numbers already 7200. If that is an indicator from what I have seen alone, I would say on average they have to be selling about 6000 units per year and an average of 15 million in revenue on the SS alone.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It's just funny that some Polaris dealers are dropping the Slingshots or having them pulled from their stores while others are "hot cakes"......................... Idaho, Washington and Oregon would have similar sales to Vermont, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, Minnesota, etc. I'm fine with it. Just makes them more unique.
Two of the Oregon dealers shared that their sales were around 9 units per year. If the rest of the dealers had equivilant numbers then that is less than 50 units per year for the entire state of Oregon. Like Sling ding-a-ling indicated, we are enjoying having one of the only two SlingShots in an approximate 150 mile radius, (as far as we know!)

Bill

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe Polaris records a sale when they ship it to the dealer, not when the dealer sells it. Glad the SS appears to be selling...means even better ones are coming.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I believe Polaris records a sale when they ship it to the dealer, not when the dealer sells it. Glad the SS appears to be selling...means even better ones are coming.
Looking at the stock market, Polaris stock went from 126.24 on Jan 2 to a high of 135.34 on Jan 25 down to 115.54 today. The stock was 70.5 in Sep 2016 and its highest was 156.71 on Nov 28, 2014. You decide where it is going.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Looking at the stock market, Polaris stock went from 126.24 on Jan 2 to a high of 135.34 on Jan 25 down to 115.54 today. The stock was 70.5 in Sep 2016 and its highest was 156.71 on Nov 28, 2014. You decide where it is going.
It's funny now that you bring up the stock. Investors must not have liked the 4th quarter earnings report @Kev quoted because the stock immediately plummeted from 134 to 116 on the day the report was released and still dropping. :jawdrop:

Meh...but its the stock market. It does that. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's funny now that you bring up the stock. Investors must not have liked the 4th quarter earnings report @Kev quoted because the stock immediately plummeted from 134 to 116 on the day the report was released and still dropping. :jawdrop:

Meh...but its the stock market. It does that. ;)
I guess the first 1/4 earnings will say everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts