Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what vehicle Polaris gets the brake calipers/rotors from? I want to get a better braking system but don't want to pay the premium because some advertised it to a slingshot.

I bought a wilwood brake kit for my Sierra for $1800 shipped. Granted, the Polaris kit on slingmods is only $100 more than my truck's kit, but my truck's kit has much larger rotors and much larger calipers than what the slingshot can fit... So I figured less materials less money.

Anyone have any info??

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I am going to Frankenstein my own big brake kit. I'm going to source either Porsche or Audi calipers from a wreck and order DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) rotors. I put DBA rotors on my prior 4Runner and those things were most excellent. I'll keep you posted if interested although I have no ETA except late this summer.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
IIRC, some folks have used Honda pads or pads made for a Honda (can't remember model). The Slingshot's rotors are 298 mm diameter and the calipers add another 38 mm or so (rough measurements). The problem is finding a rotor that's appropriately sized that still fits within the available space inside the wheels.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
IIRC, some folks have used Honda pads or pads made for a Honda (can't remember model). The Slingshot's rotors are 298 mm diameter and the calipers add another 38 mm or so (rough measurements). The problem is finding a rotor that's appropriately sized that still fits within the available space inside the wheels.
The Honda pads that work (just have to break off the tabs):

IMG_4983.PNG

·
Vendor
606 Posts
Anyone know what vehicle Polaris gets the brake calipers/rotors from? I want to get a better braking system but don't want to pay the premium because some advertised it to a slingshot.

I bought a wilwood brake kit for my Sierra for $1800 shipped. Granted, the Polaris kit on slingmods is only $100 more than my truck's kit, but my truck's kit has much larger rotors and much larger calipers than what the slingshot can fit... So I figured less materials less money.

Anyone have any info??

Like @BKL and @Tripod said the pads are from a Honda and there are several sources for pads as an upgrade. From everything we have searched there is no direct rotor swap available from any production automobile, same with the caliper. Both the caliper and rotor seem to have been cast for Polaris for this application. We have asked every manufacturer we know of to help locate it and no one has been able to find the rotor.

Good luck with it, and let us know if there is anything else we can answer for you.
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know I am reviving an old post, but since it's been a year since the last post I was wandering if there is another option for new rotors for my 2016 SL? Paying almost $400 for a new rotors on three wheels seems a tad bit excessive. I know there are pad options Chinese and the ones that are for certain Honda cars. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know I am reviving an old post, but since it's been a year since the last post I was wandering if there is another option for new rotors for my 2016 SL? Paying almost $400 for a new rotors on three wheels seems a tad bit excessive. I know there are pad options Chinese and the ones that are for certain Honda cars. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
EBC has reasonable rotors. Regular and slotted. 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL parts | Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dave at DDM has said in other places that there isn't anything wrong with the stock rotors for most people. The pads are crap, but stick with the rotors.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ebc sells them on ebay got two to my home for $120 and a set of premium race pads for $60...have great brakes...watchout for ceramics they are hard and need a little force to stop....we have manual brakes so a good set of semi-metalics work good, but I got race pads meant for vehicles under 2000lbs they work awesome but wear out the rotors quickly ...good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts