Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Heading to the dealership tomorrow to purchase a 2021 Slingshot R. I understand that there is a Polaris warranty and Im sure the dealership will offer other warranties as well. The Polaris warranty is usually cheaper but how is the experience with this warranty? Anyone have good or bad experiences? Should I go aftermarket or just go straight thru Polaris?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Go to the Vendor Forum and PM someone from @FixMyToys. They were selling the extended warranty at a 25-30% discount, IIRC. If nothing else, try to use that to get your dealer to discount the extended warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to the Vendor Forum and PM someone from @FixMyToys. They were selling the extended warranty at a 25-30% discount, IIRC. If nothing else, try to use that to get your dealer to discount the extended warranty.
You are referring to the Polaris warranty correct? Im guessing that they way to go based on a comment you made in another thread.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
With a Polaris motor under warranty, you'll be dealing with a Polaris dealer, so a Polaris extended warranty probably makes more sense. I've only bought an extended warranty once (for my 2013 Ford Edge with all digital dash instruments) and never needed the extended warranty. Of course, nothing broke until after the extended warranty had expired.
Generally speaking, an extended warranty is a bet by the buyer with the seller that the vehicle will break down. That being said, there have been a few folks who have used their Polaris extended warranty, several times for a few of them.
I waited until my 2 year warranty expired and then installed a Hahn turbo kit and now have 62K+ miles with 25K turbo'd. If you plan on doing any non-factory mods to your engine, buying the extended warranty is probably a waste of money, since Polaris will blame any engine/drivetrain problems on any non-factory mods you make. The same probably applies to any mods that might give Polaris an excuse to blame a problem on the mod.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Purchasing a 2015, arguably the most problem prone production model, major issues were handled under recalls where an extended warranty in our situation would have been a waste of money, just say'in!

·
Super Moderator
2,952 Posts
It seems I'm the winner of the Most Factory Defects Award. Things were pretty good with the Polaris warranty at first, but over time Polaris started declining repairs. When Polaris eventually refused to cover things under warranty the 3rd Party Warranty or the dealership (Fuel Powersports) covered it. At times parts were out of stock for months and aftermarket parts had to be sourced. This was on a brand new stock (no modifications) Slingshot. Later on when mods were made the dealer was consulted first on every single mod to make sure it wouldn't affect the warranty (like the shift knob replacement). No claims were declined because of mods, and no mods caused any problems (only solved them). I joked I drank so much Polaris Kool-Aide I peed blue...

In fact, I got a second Slingshot due to the first being down so much. That one was really reliable (until the turbo blew). Yes, the turbocharged Singshot was reliable, the normally aspirated was a basket case of continual problems.

I still love them, they're super-fun vehicles.

My engine blew up on brake in wtf

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a new 16.5 Sling and did not purchase the extended warranty. The Sling had an unusual problem at first. Once the engine was warm it would not back up. The RPM limiter kept kicking in at around 800 RPM. It took the dealership where I bought it (now out of business completely) about two weeks to correct the problem. During this process they replaced almost everything having to do with engine control. Polaris never objected and it was all covered under warranty. Since then I have experienced four and a half trouble free years with no problems at all. Still have the original factory battery as well (knock on wood). There have been recalls on my Sling but they were all performed at no cost.
However, given the length of the factory warranty on a new machine I would forego the extended warranty.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey All,

Heading to the dealership tomorrow to purchase a 2021 Slingshot R. I understand that there is a Polaris warranty and Im sure the dealership will offer other warranties as well. The Polaris warranty is usually cheaper but how is the experience with this warranty? Anyone have good or bad experiences? Should I go aftermarket or just go straight thru Polaris?

I've had the extended warranty from Polaris and it's come in handy on a few repairs over the years, but my Sling had limited mods and many dealers will void the warranty if you have certain mods...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey All,

Polaris won't cover anything if you ad anything aftermarket. They will screw you even if its led lights, corbin side bags, roof, or stainless exhaust.
I will never buy anything from Polaris.
Go look at this Facebook page: (1) Polaris Slingshot and Polaris's Other Products & Polaris Dealer Complaints | Facebook

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Polaris won't cover anything if you ad anything aftermarket. They will screw you even if its led lights, corbin side bags, roof, or stainless exhaust.
Our SlingShot has long been out of warranty, but the likelihood of getting warranty work done on a SlingShot has more to do with the specific dealership than it has to do with Polaris themselves. Purchase from a conscientious dealership and you will get common sense service, that was our experience. However, IMO, lets say somebody alters the electrical system, and then starts to experience electrical issues, then I can fully understand Polaris' reluctance to address that issue.

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
About Polaris voiding requests for warranty if any modifications are made to a SlingShot - when I went to pick my SlingShot up after the initial problem troubleshooting period I asked the tech what mods should I consider first. He recommended the brake cylinder brace kit and a programmable after market add on that flashed the auxiliary brake lights in the fin. They had that one of each in stock. He installed both for the price of the parts. They did perform warranty work related to the fiberglass on my SlingShot and no mention was ever made of the aftermarket items. Probably it does depend on the dealership. However I know twelve or thirteen other Slingshot owners in my general area. Not one of those machines is in pristine unmodified condition. No one mentioned any problems with warranty work including one owner that added LED's galore.

·
Super Moderator
2,952 Posts
Some of the non-coverge stories are because of Polaris: They had dealerships start sending them pictures of the vehicle before covering repairs under warranty.

The electrical system in Slingshots is very picky; adding cheap stuff from China can whack it out--like a cigarette lighter USB charger that puts a lot of noise into the electrical system kind of picky. Some LEDs generate a lot of noise (the driver circuit pulses them on/off, so if they're not filtered they can overwhelm the CAN bus. Some things--lots of things I've seen, actually, are "owner-inspired."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All,

Evening, How much did they quote you on the 2021 R model? Or did you go with 3rd party? Thanks in advance
Evening, How much did they quote you on the 2021 R model? Or did you go with 3rd party? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was quoted 1800 for the 3rd party warranty and 1300 for the Polaris warranty. I left with nothing and ended up buying a 5yr Polaris warranty after purchase for 1k.
From dealer or website (specify)? Appreciate the details as my 2021 R is ordered and was quoted by dealer $1495 for five year so I'd LOVE to get it for 1k also 😉

1 - 20 of 23 Posts