Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few things I found interesting.
  1. It sounds like they consider the Slingshot a product line of "moto-roadsters"? Does that mean they have other vehicles on the drawing board or is it just the base, SL, SL LE, SLR, etc?
  2. Since they have acquired Transamerican Auto Parts, does that mean that TAP will be providing aftermarket SS parts too?
  3. “2016 was a difficult and challenging year for Polaris, but our culture is geared to deal head on with adversity and learn from it, and that’s what we did in 2016. In response to a series of recalls, we took the necessary steps to ensure that Polaris vehicles deliver the quality, safety and performance that our customers expect. We are relying on these enhanced improvements, consistent execution, and aggressive innovation to regain our footing as the ‘Best in Powersports’,” commented Scott Wine. Sounds great! Hope it's more than just puffing for the share holders.
  4. They do note that the recalls screwed them over on sale in the 4th quarter. 94% hit!! Obviously those things never go well for any company. Better not let that happen again. Slingshot® sales were down due to low product availability related to recall activity. Gross profit for the fourth quarter 2016 decreased 94 percent to $1.6 million compared to $24.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2015 due to lower production rates and higher warranty expense.
Look it over, see if you spot anything note worthy.
POLARIS REPORTS 2016 FOURTH QUARTER AND FULL YEAR RESULTS | Polaris Industries

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Personally, Justina and I kinda are hoping that the SlingShot never becomes overly popular, now with ours coming upon two years old, we are still enjoying it's "uniqueness" and being the only one in town, (as far as we know.) :D:cool:

(An added benefit of having the closest dealer being 120 miles away?) ;)

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or they go they way of Victory.... Which is one of my fears keeping me from pulling the trigger on getting one. Got a Vic CCT in the garage, one of their best selling, best reviewed, bikes and they aren't re branding it under Indian.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Or they go they way of Victory.... Which is one of my fears keeping me from pulling the trigger on getting one. Got a Vic CCT in the garage, one of their best selling, best reviewed, bikes and they aren't re branding it under Indian.
Its really apples and oranges.

The Victory has proprietary pretty much everything (drivetrain being the big one) whereas the SS is a bastardized Frankenstein with a GM/Solstice motor, Solstice control arms, a popular Japanese 5 speed that GM has used in multiple vehicles including the Chevy Colorado pickup and if you have the frame and body panels you could pretty much build one sourced purely from aftermarket parts.

And the fact of the matter is IF Polaris quite building the SS tomorrow most of us here would jump for joy because with a captive market of about 18K vehicles built our values would likely go up 25-100% within a year (supply and demand for what is essentially a vehicle in its own class). Today if you can't buy an SS your three options would be an Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow or Morgan. None of which are remotely in the SS's price class.

The reason the same is not true for Victory is they are not in their own class. Minimally there is Harley and Indian and if you expand to the big 4 Japanese there are loads of similar class bikes to choose from. Note I did not say better. Just more to choose from. I am not a cruiser bike guy and know little to nothing about any of the cruisers (I can however quote specs off the top of my head for just about any sportbike made :) ).

What could screw the pooch however, is if one or all of the big 4 decide to grab a piece of the reverse trike pie. And it could happen.

If anybody thinks Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha are not watching the SS very carefully, they are foolish. ;-)

Just my .03....

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The survey Polaris ran back in 2015 shortly after i bought kine (Sept/Oct timeframe, IIRC) specifically referenced producing a line of Slingshots and implied the production of at least a smaller model with a smaller motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts