Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are installing LED halos, lights etc ect....... Please don't buy the cheap generic crap. Buy the slingshot specific lights with correct wire lengths and solder your connections with disconnects on parts that would possibly ever need to be removed ( bumper, hood, side panel etc)

As we work on more and more slings we are running to rats nests of wiring bundled up on the frame and other spots. Not only is this a fire hazard but if you need your sling worked on it causes allot of extra time to disconnect.

I was at a dealer a few weeks ago training them and a sling came in for a install of just the new heat shroud behind the radiator. The tech started at 10:30 am and did not finish until 4:30 pm due to the amount of wires . There was so much wire zip tied to the front nose and of course no labels so he didn't want to cut them. He could not remove the front to access the radiator.

It will cost you allot more in $$ if you ever have to have your slings serviced and they have to work around wiring.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Henry, if you don't mind me adding to your comments, I personally also think it a good idea to:
  • Use.dielectric grease in connectors to keep dirt/water out, helping prevent corrosion. Grease it before you crimp it. (Then grease it again: "Too much lube is almost enough." Oh, wait, wrong topic...)
  • Fuse responsibly. Put add-ons on separate circuits, don't overload circuits, properly size the wire and fuse, and label things with a P-Touch or other labeler..
  • Use cable runs where possible. Plastic sheathing is affordable, looks good, and protects wires in multiple ways. Manufacturers wouldn't use it if there wasn't good reason.
  • Zip-tie responsibly. Secure connections against vibration using reasonable, not excessive force.
  • Get help when needed. If you're not sure, ask someone. If you can't do the job well, get a professional to do it right the first time.
  • Don't use T-taps. Over time they cut the wire and let a lot of moisture in. If you must use one, use the best professional grade taps you can find.
  • Use high-quality parts professionals use. Vehicles are complicated machines in harsh environments, if you do a job make it so your efforts last as long as the vehicle.
  • Take your time and do it right. Another day / another way. A tough job sometimes goes a lot easier after some time to step back and relax.
  • Support [local] vendors who support their customers. It can be a bit more of an investment up front, but it almost always pays off in the end.

Nothing, I mean nothing is worse than half-assed wiring.
image[1].jpg

Pat.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here is a blazer customer brought in, cutting out driving down the road. T-tap cut the wire and it would make contact when it wanted to. That was this afternoon.
IMG_2471[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have seen people do some of the most stupid shit you can imagine when it comes to wiring. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Case in point: Years ago a gal I worked with asked me "My boyfriend Scott installed a stereo in my Mustang GT and now the stereo doesn't work and my dash lights and cruise control don't work either".

I hesitantly agreed to take a look at it. First thing I smell opening up the door is burnt wires. Second thing I see when I look at the fuse block is burnt foil around two fuses. Car was a little over a year old.

Shut the door, handed her the keys and told her 1) I can't help you and 2) Scott is an idiot.

She laughed and said "I know. I dumped him two weeks ago but please, please help me". I told her I would love to, but I've seen electrical cans o-worms before and sorry. My next 3 months are spoken for.

Like I said - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

And for those wondering - yes, she was very attractive. Still not enough to dig into that can of worms.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a competition these days to see who can spend the least amount of money to get the most crap. They don't care about quality, it's all about the bottom line.

·
out of POSER Status-Almost in the BIG BOY clique'
1,478 Posts
It's called PRIDE..Take your time solder for solid connections. shrink wrap everything for water seal/ protection. Put in loom. Connections with the small guage wires on halos/ lights etc don't always connect properly anyhow, need to strip wires longer and fold over. Do yourself a favor ditch the straight connectors and solder. Take the extra time for a quality job & safety aspect. It's a $20k Toy people don't cut corners;)...

And note, add a small label under loom or somewhere on wires for future reference

·
Registered
103 Posts
We all learn as we do our own thing to our rides. Some things you can't since ready made things will not do what you want! This country has always done it's own upgrades to their rides, as we do each to its our. The one that complain are the ones that cause owners to do their own work because of the cost of installation. But they still get their money from the owners when they have to fix the wiring like the one above. But they have to work hard for it then!

Best 3 wheels Ever!

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Slingshot Only Halos and led strips have plugs 4 " from the Halos .
We have been dealing with this on motorcycle .
After see all the junk out their we decided to build our own.
In Florida with all the water and rain .
Only the best works

1 - 12 of 12 Posts