Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Custom SS Heated Seats - Corbin Vs PRP Vs Sparco Vs Other

Please help me decide on the best Custom Seat - PRP vs Corbin vs Other??

11K views 62 replies 20 participants last post by  rocklinmike 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I'm new to this forum - just picked up a 2017 Orange Madness last week from Indian Motorcyle of Marietta, GA (Awesome guys!!! Got the best deal on my trade-in that I could possibly get, and the store is plenty of fun - they even had beers and plenty of food cooked out for everybody and anybody!)

Anyway - now I'm ready for customizing.

First order of business - the seats.

The stock seats for the 2017 SLRs are actually pretty good - comfortable, have some elegant stitching, have some side support - a lot better than for the older Slingshots - but they still have one shortcoming in my opinion- no heated seating.

This is hugely important for me - I take a lot of long bike-trips- even in cold weather.

This is pretty much the only reason I want to swap them out.

So...costs aside....what is my absolute best option for custom Slingshot seats that also have an option for heated seating.

My current options so far are Corbin seats vs PRP seats...but I'm open to hear of other seats to consider.

My slingshot came with Sparco shiftknob, pedals and steering wheel - and I would also have considered Sparco seats to match, but I read somewhere that the Sparco seats are not waterproof, and have no heated seating (but on the plus side, both driver and passenger seats slide and recline)

Here's one webpage comparing them to PRP seats

Polaris Slingshot Seat Options | SlingMods - Newsroom

I also don't really see options for customizing Sparco seats so I think I'm down to really only two options - PRP and Corbin - but I'm open to other options.

Anyone have any strong opinions of PRP vs Corbin?

I'm torn between the two because on one side, PRP seems to have the most reviews (almost all positive) and is more well known - hence a safer option - but I reviews of Corbin seats are very few and far between.

One thing I like PRP over Corbin is that I can remove all the branding from PRP and put my own logo on the headrest (I'd probably put the Slingshot logo if they allow me) - but Corbin plasters their name on the seat a little too prominently for my taste.

On their plus side - the Corbin seats seem to have both back and bottom seat heating (PRP appears to only have bottom seat heating - but I may be wrong).

Also, the Corbins are a little more better shaped than the PRP seats - the PRP ones seem out of place in the shoulder area - a little too wide perhaps? I'm not sure how I feel about a seat feeling like it's taking over the whole interior of the vehicle.

Any thoughts, opinions - especially comparing one brand over the other, are highly appreciated.

Also, any other brand I should also put into consideration? I'm big on being able to customize the seats, and I also need the heated seating option.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 2016.5 and am trying to make the same decision as you. Have read mixed reviews on the PRP seats have crossed them off my list. I looked at Corbin, like them, have not read any reviews on them. I am waiting for the 2017s to hit the lots here in Vegas, want to sit in them, am really leaning toward the 2017 Stock Black seats. Going to do my Exhaust and a few other performance mods before I get to the seats, happy hunting brother.

#5 ·
Thanks. The stock 2017 SLR seats are really good (compared to the older slingshot models) - so unless you are looking for heated seating or custom design - I personally don't see a reason to change them.

Any particular reason you crossed out PRP seats? I really haven't seen anything negative about them - I just don't like how wide they look in the Slingshot - almost out of place.

#6 ·
Oh - and Corbins have one more trick - apparently they seem to have built-in seat covers in the back of the headrest, that you can pull over and completely cover the seats to keep them cool and relatively dry in case of rain (no indication they're actually waterproof though)

#7 ·
I have the Gen 1 PRP seats, both back and seat are heated, they are suspension seats. I am very happy with mine and the wife loves them. I drive mine hard and they keep you secure in the seats and work well with 4 point belts for the twisties. The Gen 1 are quite a bit cheaper in price than the Gen 2. The 2s look really nice but the 1s look good too. Only complaints I have heard are coming from the 2s of feeling the seat pan after longer rides and the guys with the suede inserts say when it rains they are like a sponge. I have none of these complaints with mine.

#8 ·
Thanks. The stock 2017 SLR seats are really good (compared to the older slingshot models) - so unless you are looking for heated seating or custom design - I personally don't see a reason to change them.

Any particular reason you crossed out PRP seats? I really haven't seen anything negative about them - I just don't like how wide they look in the Slingshot - almost out of place.
There are lots of reviews on the Forum on these, heard the sitting portion can be a little hard, issues installing, bolt lengths to short etc. I have seen them in a few Slings and like you, I think they look to big for the Sling, just my thoughts. The initial reviews on them were great, and then all of a sudden several negative reviews came out. I think they are a great looking seat, and I hear they are a good builder. The back rest on the corbin seems to be smaller and in my estimation look better in the Sling.

#9 · (Edited)
I have the Gen 1 PRP seats, both back and seat are heated, they are suspension seats. I am very happy with mine and the wife loves them. I drive mine hard and they keep you secure in the seats and work well with 4 point belts for the twisties. The Gen 1 are quite a bit cheaper in price than the Gen 2. The 2s look really nice but the 1s look good too. Only complaints I have heard are coming from the 2s of feeling the seat pan after longer rides and the guys with the suede inserts say when it rains they are like a sponge. I have none of these complaints with mine.
I should probably also have asked - what 's the consensus on 4-point seat-belts vs regular seat-belts (safety aside) ?

Maybe it's just me - but the 4-point seat-belts make the vehicle look a little more like a roller-coaster-esque teenager's ride, as opposed to a "mature" person's machine. I know Slingshots are sporty - but I'm going for more of a classy/mature look - if that makes sense.

Also - I feel like the 4-point harness has more restrictive movement - which might be safer overall, but I do need to sometimes look over on the side when changing lanes, or reach over to change stuff on my GPS or media screen.

Ps. Pardon my ignorance, but what are twisties? :)

#10 ·
I should probably also have asked - what 's the consensus on 4-point seat-belts vs regular seat-belts (safety aside) ?

Maybe it's just me - but the 4-point seat-belts make the vehicle look a little more like a roller-coaster-esque teenager's ride, as opposed to a "mature" person's machine. I know Slingshots are sporty - but I'm going for more of a classy/mature look - if that makes sense.

Ps. Pardon my ignorance, but what are twisties? :)
Twisties are the the roads that are very curvy and twisty winding, the SS performs very well on these roads especially when you have better tires and suspension.

I have the 4point belts in mine, but I also left the oem belts in place, I only use the 4points when driving aggressively, otherwise I use the oem belts. the 4point belts hold you in place and reaching the radio knob can be a challenge. My 4point belts tuck behind the seats when not in use.

#16 ·
I am thinking about getting the new Polaris seats in my 15 base at the Lake George event. I really like the way they look and are a cheaper option than the rest of the after market seats. I live in Michigan so I don't need or want the heated option but that's just me. My wife has a heated Corbin on her motorcycle and loves it but that's her. lol

#20 ·
I'm juggling between PRP and adding seat heaters to my 2017 Polaris SLR seats. If you're interested in them, let me know and I'll hit you up if I do decide on a complete seat replacement. I have the Orange madness - so they're the black seats with Orange stitching

#17 ·
Ah - good idea to have both. So do the PRPs actually come with the 4-point belts, or is it a separate purchase option? And when you tuck them behind the seats, they are completely hidden from front view?
The 4point belts are bought separate and many different brands work. I chose mine so they would tuck behind the seats and still comfortable. The shoulder belts run through the opening in the back of the seat and depending on how they connect at the waist belt determines if you can tuck them back through the seat top or not to conceal them. The side belts hide under the sides of the seat. You can be completely hidden if you want.

#18 ·
For the looks you cannot beat PRP. I opted for the 4" tall bottoms which in my opinion was way to hard for me. I did order the 2" bottoms and it took a month to get them and thy only shipped one ( Was not there mistake was the company I ordered from) and it came in the wrong color. So there going to make me the right one's. Wanted them for the ride to Lake george on the 14th.

#19 ·
You could also pick up A seat heater kit from Amazon or eBay and add them to your existing seats. Providing the covers come off like most normal car seats do. I added some to my last vehicle. One of the best things I did to it
Hmmm...not a bad idea at all. I didn't think of that. The 2017 SLR stock seats are actually not that bad - will look into whether my installer can just add heat seaters to them, save me some money in the process.

#30 ·
Good to know! I was on the fence about them but seems very few people are sold on Corbins. Their seat shapes are more appealing to me though, than PRPs - I wish PRP made their seats more slimmer on top - looks more natural and less bulky on the Slingshot

#33 ·
so after reading this, sounds like everyone seems to lean towards the prp seats or the new ones Polaris has? thinking of purchasing some new seats this week as I'm tired of getting out with a sweaty back despite how short or long the ride is lol. have only owned a week now, but definitely not something I am a fan of by any means lol. just not sure if the prp seats will get rid of that? and heat is a big issue here in az.

#35 ·
Which year/model of Slingshot do you have? I don't know of seats that have cooling as well as heating - I would gladly pay for cooling as well. I've seen some blog posts of folks actually putting wooden beads on their seats to help with cooling - but that's not exactly my cup of tea...

PS. Couldn't help but notice another Tesla owner - that's my second baby (after the Slingshot - just two months old :)

#40 ·
I haven't seen the 2017 SLR seats, so I have to ask - Do they have seatcovers or are they molded like the original seats? If they have seatcovers and you are happy with their feel/comfort, you can install heated seat paads pretty easily once you take the seatcovers off for the heatpad install. Total cost should be less than $150 DIY or figure on around $300-500 (SWAG) if you have an upholstery shop do it for you.

#41 ·
They new SLR seats appear to be removable covers. I don't mind paying an upholstery shop to do it, but my Sling is currently at Alpha Powersports in Wisconsin - and they do not handle upholstery work - but are happy to install new seats for me if I send them replacements.

Do you have any seat heaters that you can recommend?

#44 ·
Nope - not yet. For cooling, I'm resolved to just getting the side wings (i think they're called slingwings on slingmods). They are basically extensions of the windshield that can be twisted to direct more airflow into the cockpit to provide a cooling effect. Between that, and the Madstad adjustable windshield which can be raised/lowered/twisted - i think I'm covered with my cooling needs.

Btw - for heating, someone opened my eyes to heated gear. Exploring that option as well.

#49 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
#52 ·
I just installed new Gen 2 PRP seats last night.

They do look good / better than stock.

Installation - Frustrating, much more difficult than I expected or frankly should be - specifically on the seat bottom / pan.

The supplied bolts are too short. Had to use C clamps to compress the frame and seat bottom. Then it is tough to align the bolt to the hole. Ended up cross threading one of the bolts.

Will pick up a slightly longer bolt, lock washer, and nut so I can insert from the top and screw the nut from under the seat pan / rail.

I struggled with the seat bottoms. The seat backs were a little tight but much easier than the seat bottoms.

Total installation time about 2.5 hours and broke a serious sweat. Hands and legs fairly sore this AM.

Comfort - I went for a 20 minute ride to get dinner. Seemed to have more space and seemed to sit slightly lower which is fine.

The seat is wider than stock and fills the gaps on each side. So a little harder to reach the seat belt and find the buckle on the driver's left.

The bottom velcros in so you have some adjustability on positioning.

But, quickly noticed how hard the seat bottom is vs the stock. It does not feel padded at all and I actually prefer the feel of stock (2016.5) seat bottoms. Disappointed for sure.

I also quickly noticed that I want / need more lower lumbar support.

I will see if there is a thicker cushion option. I also believe they offer an air bladder for lumbar support.

Overall, it is early, but feel like I made the wrong decision.

#53 ·
I just installed new Gen 2 PRP seats last night.

They do look good / better than stock.

Installation - Frustrating, much more difficult than I expected or frankly should be - specifically on the seat bottom / pan.

The supplied bolts are too short. Had to use C clamps to compress the frame and seat bottom. Then it is tough to align the bolt to the hole. Ended up cross threading one of the bolts.

Will pick up a slightly longer bolt, lock washer, and nut so I can insert from the top and screw the nut from under the seat pan / rail.

I struggled with the seat bottoms. The seat backs were a little tight but much easier than the seat bottoms.

Total installation time about 2.5 hours and broke a serious sweat. Hands and legs fairly sore this AM.

Comfort - I went for a 20 minute ride to get dinner. Seemed to have more space and seemed to sit slightly lower which is fine.

The seat is wider than stock and fills the gaps on each side. So a little harder to reach the seat belt and find the buckle on the driver's left.

The bottom velcros in so you have some adjustability on positioning.

But, quickly noticed how hard the seat bottom is vs the stock. It does not feel padded at all and I actually prefer the feel of stock (2016.5) seat bottoms. Disappointed for sure.

I also quickly noticed that I want / need more lower lumbar support.

I will see if there is a thicker cushion option. I also believe they offer an air bladder for lumbar support.

Overall, it is early, but feel like I made the wrong decision.
thanks for the review. I have a 2015 SL build 6:41. Wife and I use pillows for lumbar support been thinking about new seats but I was not crazy about the Slr iseats now that PRP may be questionable I guess I'll stick with a pillows it's cheaper.

#55 · (Edited)
To me, it would be much easier to run the bolt (with a rounded head and a decent size washer) from the seat bottom down through the frame rail and attach the nut (with a lock washer) from the underside of the seat / rail.

The current design, the bolt comes up through the rail and screws into the seat bottom - was really no fun at all.

In the picture below, I cross thread the lower bolt hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.