Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my 2015 Streeglide for the 2016.5 SL. Haven't picked it up because I'm in Boston. Only test driven one . I'm looking for any advice from experienced riders. My wife and I want to take 2-3 weeks sometime this yr to cover all lower 48 states. Does anyone have a route or list of places to avoid, stories from the road that can help us plan our trip? I'm an experienced Harley rider ( 25 yrs) Ive been cross country solo and with my wife. we are looking forward to this trip of a lifetime and want to make it as enjoyable as possible.
basically we are newbies to the SS revolution............ any advice would be helpful and appreciated.....
LIVE TO RIDE.............................................NOT ALL WANDERERS ARE LOST....

PAUL C .......BOSTON

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have all the recalls completed before you leave, locate Slingshot dealers along your route, buy the best rain suits you can afford, and have a great trip!

·
Registered
151 Posts
48 states in 2-3 weeks doesn't leave much time to take in the sights. You can spend 1 week just seeing Dakotas , Montana ( "Beartooth Pass")down through Utah "Yellow Stone". Then there is "Three Sisters" here in Texas. Blue Ridge Parkway, Hwy7 through Arkansas( you can spend a week in Arkansas riding some of the most scenic roads around. Deals Gap( tail of the dragon). I would maybe break the lower 48 into 4-5 sections and visit 1 section at a time. That would even be pushing it some. But hey, that's just me. It is possible to zip through all 48 in 3 weeks as long as you don't sleep much and can gas the SS up quick.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I did a cross country on BMW RT12 3 yrs ago at 62 yrs old with wife from Nj and I flew her to Milwaukee Wi to see Harley Museum ( must see ) and she traveled rest of trip. All my traveling for 12 yrs was renting full dress Harley's in West for 10 day rides in Montana,Calif ,Western Canada ,Nevada,Washington,Dakota's. And doing this for 12 yrs allowed me to go on the cross country ride and not worry about seeing details in the western states but to just say I did a cross country ride. after living in east all my life and doing rides to Kentucky, Mich Upper peninsula beautiful ride, Vir, West Vir, Tenn , N Carolina for week rides to Fl.
But also on 2 wheel bikes I could go 65 to 80 mph in driving rains/hail ect and I did, but with Slingshot you can not do this.. I know and if you read others will tell you.
Do not drive SS in heavy rains or you will not be on road very long. Going to Maggie Valley we hit heavy rain doing 80 mph I felt SS pick up but i held straight line and still pushed doing 60 mph and felt lift again and slowed to 40 to 45 mph and then I felt like trucks would not see Us with spray and rear end wife Us.
So 2 wheels you can go cross country in 3 weeks and not see much and say you did it but to be honest its hard with west winds blowing you side ways for whole day rides. I want to go back to 3 Wheel Rally in Dead Wood S Dakota one of the nicest riding areas and you need a week just there its that nice of riding and go 4 wheeling in area and see so much off the road..
I was thinking of cross country in SS myself but building a dolly now to pull it and enjoy car comfort and take it off when I get to nice riding areas.
Sure you can ride SS cross country in straight line and maybe in 3 weeks but I will tell you you if you hit bad weather in West you do not know what you
are up against until you get there.. Did Washington Oregon, Northern Calif coast ride beautiful ride and come up to see Crater Lake Or. must see and 3 feet of snow/foggy could not see Lake that trip but the day before clear and sunny.
So yes you can try 3 weeks but weather always throws punch that you may not see or want to hear about until you are involved in it.
I would think more on 4 to 5 weeks just in case of weather or stop and see circumstances.
My wife and I both pack light and use kayak dry bags and mount them between roll bars and seats and had no problem with caring air compressor and large camera equipment and extra pair of shoes and stuffing items besides seats and behind in tough plastic bags to keep things dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts