Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

[Picture Thread] How to Replace Slingshot Center Light Unit (not bulb) in 5 Steps

10K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  rydahog 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, hopefully this saves someone the agony of trying to reinvent the wheel - aka replace the center light unit should your center units crack due to a rock like mine did.

What I started with:

What You'll Need:
  1. Replacement Center Unit : Purchase single unit on Amazon for $116 or Purchase double unit from Polaris for $322 (ya know - if you like wasting money and sh*t) Both are Hella Brand and include a replacement bulb
  2. A 10mm Ratcheting Combination Wrench - $7.69 from Home Depot (you'll need the ratcheting part)
  3. A Pair of Pliers
  4. A Screw Driver
Step 1: Disconnect both headlight units.

Step 2: Remove the Entire Center Headlight Housing by undoing four bolts (#12 in this diagram). DO NOT try to remove just the headlight.
Grab that 10mm ratcheting combination wrench and remove the 4 bolts holding the headlight units in place. The two bottom bolts will be impossible to ratchet all the way off without getting your tool stuck between the hood support bar, so you'll have to manually remove it (learned the hard way). You may curse a lot, but you should not have to remove the horn so quit ya b*tchin.

Step 3: Remove the Damaged Headlight from the housing. The black things holding the headlight into the housing are some sort of Romanian quick release clamps. Don't know the real name, but use the flat nose pliers to pinch the release tabs on the three screws holding the headlight in and it should pop out. Once out of the housing, remove the black Romanian quick release clamps and use a screw driver to remove the screws if ya wanna salvage the parts. If not - just throw the unit out screws / caps and all.

Don't forget to remove the old bulb from the broken unit - future free bulb replacement, yay!

Step 4: Prepping the Replacement. The replacement headlight comes with an extra screw you won't need, so don't fret - it's like Ikea, some parts aren't necessary (maybe). Screw the bolts into the new headlight BEFORE you put the black caps on - you won't need to screw it in all the way, just match the picture up top - about half way, then pop the three caps on and shove it back into place.

Step 5: Reinstalling the Housing.
New bulb in housing, return to your noble steed and reassemble using the 10mm wrench. Remember - those two bottom bolts are a b*tch, so you'll have to manually wrench it in without using the ratchet until you have clearance.

* I didn't need to adjust the angle of the headlight beam but if you do, I think they teach ya how in the owner's manual.

See less See more
#2 ·
The most awesome and detailed review yet!! I like that you linked the parts finder above!! Job well done!

BTW Your garage looks like a cold storage meat locker.....verrrrrry scary!!! :wideyed:

#5 ·
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: In between steps 2 & 3, after I had attempted to remove the headlight WITHOUT removing the housing, there was a break of about 5 hours that included a shower, a half bottle of mixed vodka drink, and a few band-aids.

Edit - and a back replacement surgery

#8 ·
It kinda looks like an abstract Slingshot logo... maybe you should have left it? :D

But for realz, awesome write-up, thanks so much!

#9 ·
That is a very in depth how to. Reminds me of the books near The Home Depot checkout, or the "This Old House" guy. Very well done.
I could never give directions that clear. I get asked at least 3 questions after thinking I described a procedure perfect.:D

@hrmiracle, I am beginning to see where your last name comes from. I don't get the Heather thing though. ;)

#10 ·
That is a very in depth how to. Reminds me of the books near The Home Depot checkout, or the "This Old House" guy. Very well done.
I could never give directions that clear. I get asked at least 3 questions after thinking I described a procedure perfect.:D

@hrmiracle, I am beginning to see where your last name comes from. I don't get the Heather thing though. ;)
I don't get the "Heather" thing either - I mean, my parents coulda named me "Isabella" and I woulda gone by "Izza" for short and everyone woulda called me "Izza Miracle" ... obviously I've thought about this. :hilarious:

#12 ·
Ok, hopefully this saves someone the agony of trying to reinvent the wheel - aka replace the center light unit should your center units crack due to a rock like mine did.

All I can say is, I need someone like you preparing our step by step install directions for our product line. You are more then welcome to sunny Tampa and take over this department...

What I started with:

What You'll Need:
  1. Replacement Center Unit : Purchase single unit on Amazon for $116 or Purchase double unit from Polaris for $322 (ya know - if you like wasting money and sh*t) Both are Hella Brand and include a replacement bulb
  2. A 10mm Ratcheting Combination Wrench - $7.69 from Home Depot (you'll need the ratcheting part)
  3. A Pair of Pliers
  4. A Screw Driver

Step 2: Remove the Entire Center Headlight Housing by undoing four bolts (#12 in this diagram). DO NOT try to remove just the headlight.
Grab that 10mm ratcheting combination wrench and remove the 4 bolts holding the headlight units in place. The two bottom bolts will be impossible to ratchet all the way off without getting your tool stuck between the hood support bar, so you'll have to manually remove it (learned the hard way). You may curse a lot, but you should not have to remove the horn so quit ya b*tchin.

Step 3: Remove the Damaged Headlight from the housing. The black things holding the headlight into the housing are some sort of Romanian quick release clamps. Don't know the real name, but use the flat nose pliers to pinch the release tabs on the three screws holding the headlight in and it should pop out. Once out of the housing, remove the black Romanian quick release clamps and use a screw driver to remove the screws if ya wanna salvage the parts. If not - just throw the unit out screws / caps and all.

Don't forget to remove the old bulb from the broken unit - future free bulb replacement, yay!

Step 4: Prepping the Replacement. The replacement headlight comes with an extra screw you won't need, so don't fret - it's like Ikea, some parts aren't necessary (maybe). Screw the bolts into the new headlight BEFORE you put the black caps on - you won't need to screw it in all the way, just match the picture up top - about half way, then pop the three caps on and shove it back into place.

New bulb in housing, return to your noble steed and reassemble using the 10mm wrench. Remember - those two bottom bolts are a b*tch, so you'll have to manually wrench it in without using the ratchet until you have clearance.

* I didn't need to adjust the angle of the headlight beam but if you do, I think they teach ya how in the owner's manual.

#13 ·
@hrmiracle - I have two solid headlights again! Thanks for all the good gouge Heather!!

#17 ·
Great writeup HRMiracle. I managed to meet up with a rock the other day too and need to replace my headlight. Is this the headlight you bought on Amazon?
HELLA 009998021 12V/65W 90mm Bi-Halogen High/Low Beam Headlamp Module
by HELLA
3 customer reviews
| 5 answered questions

List Price: $123.16
Price: $116.29 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $6.87 (6%)

Thank you for the insight.

#18 ·
Great writeup HRMiracle. I managed to meet up with a rock the other day too and need to replace my headlight. Is this the headlight you bought on Amazon?
HELLA 009998021 12V/65W 90mm Bi-Halogen High/Low Beam Headlamp Module
by HELLA
3 customer reviews
| 5 answered questions

List Price: $123.16
Price: $116.29 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $6.87 (6%)

Thank you for the insight.
That's the one, @Trojan6! Here's the link to it, btw. Hmmm - now that makes at least three of us who have suffered from the dreaded "one eyed cyclops headlight syndrome" - hopefully this isn't a common thing. If you're from VA as well, that'd be hilarious because that means all three of us got a rock to the headlight in NoVA - ah just another reason we live in this amazing police state :hilarious:

#19 ·
@hrmiracle , someday i will tell you a story about police state in VA..when my wife, aunt, and her mom and 8yr old,went over a bridge,,and 10miles away..a camera took picts of her plate.(FLA) and it indicated owner of fla plate has gun permit in fla..cops stopped them, "where are the guns" and all that nonsense...45mins of questions,,till the local commander? came out and said this rediculous..let them go....there was more but this is condensed version....now back to our normal programming...:) sorry for interruption..

#20 ·

What I started with:

What You'll Need:
  3. A Pair of Pliers
  4. A Screw Driver

Hold onto them black romanian plastic holders,,if it breaks, the headlight will flop around..i just got back from dealer who replaced mine.(not sure why it broke) but according to the dealer,, you have to get the whole headlight housing in order to get these clips??

#21 ·

What I started with:

What You'll Need:
  3. A Pair of Pliers
  4. A Screw Driver

A mechanic in high heels?? That is about the hottest thing I have ever seen!!! HR - I bow before the Queen

#24 ·
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: After 3 hours of wrestling with that headlight like an idiot, ya'll woulda thought I was one of the boys. But let's pretend it was really sexy and I did it in a jean booty short and heels. if we all believe, it is truth, right?!

#32 ·
I was hoping this thread would never apply to me, but I guess the time has come...

Before I buy a replacement on amazon, does anyone have an extra laying around they want to sell? Not that these are the old/original style by HELLA.

Does anyone know the manufacture and part number of the new style? Maybe I will go with two new ones, so that I can finally install my other halos correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.