Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Good, the bad and the ugly

So Friday afternoon I got the call from my dealer in Athens, AL that I was next up in line. I told him I would be there Saturday around noon. One of my MC Brothers agreed to drive with me so off we went.
It was about a 3.5 hour ride to get to Athens via secondary road through Georgia and Alabama to get to his shop. Weather was cold, overcast and some rain. We arrived at noon and low and behold my Red SL was waiting for me at the front of their store. After doing the paperwork and inspecting the SL we headed back to Georgia. It was another 3.5 hours back in the same kind of weather.

Now my observations;

The Good
Champion Motorsports in Athens, TN is a great dealer. Spencer my salesperson was extremely helpful, and took time to show me everything about the SL. He and the staff there were great.
The SL handles great, drives straight, shifts clean, and brakes perfectly
People watch you wherever you go.
Stereo is loud (although not clear and no bass at higher volumes)

The Bad
Plastic panels have unfinished edges
Paint could be more evenly applied
Bubbles in the clear part of the instruments
Steering wheel points at 11:00 then driving straight
Rear wheel traction could be better

The Ugly
The whining, screeching noise that is coming from the rear when under acceleration. It sounds like its coming from the drive angle but I am not 100% sure. Very loud under acceleration to the point you hear it over the engine. It’s driving me crazy and I plan to take it to a local Polaris dealer this week and have them troubleshoot it. It almost sound like the gears in the drive angle are not lubricated or that they are not meshing properly.

Overall, I love with my SL and think it is a great ride!!!

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Pretty sure no one knows what that whine is. Every one of the slingshots makes the noise. I can't imagine that it's a lubrication issue. It may calm down over time.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Steering wheel points at 11:00 then driving straight

This is just stupid .

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
I don't know yet. Some say it's an alignment issue. Others say it could be as simple as un bolting the wheel and moving it five degrees to the right.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
There was talk about adding shims to one side after production started, Is it possible the extra shims on one side is throwing the steering wheel to 11 o'clock?
I would think you could remove the steering wheel and put it to noon position.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
My SL tracks straight then you let go of the wheel but the steering wheel is still at 11:00AM
I'm going to just ass/u/me (because I still don't have mine) that it's going to track wherever you turn it because it doesn't self correct. I think it's an alignment issue. I can't believe how many people have this issue. It's ridiculous. Has anyone with the issue posted if they've checked the toe in/out to see if it's off?

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
I'm going to just ass/u/me (because I still don't have mine) that it's going to track wherever you turn it because it doesn't self correct. I think it's an alignment issue. I can't believe how many people have this issue. It's ridiculous. Has anyone with the issue posted if they've checked the toe in/out to see if it's off?
My dealer is getting the laser alignment mounts early in January. I won't be able to get a definitive answer before then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fast Eddie,

Great post with valuable info. I am eager to read what the dealer will do to correct the isues. In the meantime, enjoy & ride safe!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts