Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All comments and suggestions are welcome ... Well I started a couple months ago building this roof top made with PVC pipes and connectors from home depot . The top black glass is made from the material Polycarbonate sheets and also I used between the pipes connectors Self-hardening synthetic clay, to give a better look and make stronger between the pipes and screws .I got this 54" off road light that I'm going to used the foglight relay to connect and I'm waiting for the air scoops, to give a better air flow on the top.Also I used fake fiber glass tape just to give a nice look on the pipes. I'm not finished yet ,I keep you guys with more future updates on this roof top when is done . The cost right now is about $400 and total weight is about 55 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks good but I don't know how the Pvc pipe will hold up under load/wind. I have a twist top and I can tell you going down the road or highway there is a huge force on it. be careful the top does not rip off and fly into the vehicle behind you.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks good but I don't know how the Pvc pipe will hold up under load/wind. I have a twist top and I can tell you going down the road or highway there is a huge force on it. be careful the top does not rip off and fly into the vehicle behind you.
I was thinking about the wind and the huge force down and also under the top, I'm afraid this is gong to fly over, but I'm going to try in a close road first this experimental top and maybe the air scoops is going to help to cut the wind a little. I'm planning to use on the city streets not in the highway. NYC streets with traffic I'm Lucky if I can go more than 35mph .

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just curious....What's the goal here? Trying to come up with a low cost alternative for yourself? Design and sell a kit? Prove that anyone can do it with off the shelf stuff? Artistic expression? Autistic expression? All of the above?
Well at first my goal was to design a top low cost , something that looks good but can do the job in the summer raining days . Right now I spent way to much for this project. The top for the SS , I can't buy nothing less than $1300, plus I can't afford to buy one , living in NY and paying over $5000 a yr for insurance for the slingshot, it's crazy. So I decided to continue this project and try to finishe to see if is going to work or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
I like it! It looks really good, and personally I love seeing well-thought Do-It-Yourself projects! @SS NY you have something unique and good looking!

A way to minimize the up-force is to angle it down a bit so there is a slight constant pressure on it, remembering that on the freeway tractor-trailers create buffeting and up-draft pulses. So not too much down, but "some" down force. Also, you might buy aluminum C-channel at the local hardware store, cover the flat side with rubber window wrap (sticky on one side) to act as a shock absorber, and buy a hole saw (c-clamp & block of wood, sand paper and sponge) to cut the ends to match the PVC and use it as lightweight stiffener.

Awesome looking project, congratulations on your progress so far!!!

thumbs-up[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it! It looks really good, and personally I love seeing well-thought Do-It-Yourself projects! @SS NY you have something unique and good looking!

A way to minimize the up-force is to angle it down a bit so there is a slight constant pressure on it, remembering that on the freeway tractor-trailers create buffeting and up-draft pulses. So not too much down, but "some" down force. Also, you might buy aluminum C-channel at the local hardware store, cover the flat side with rubber window wrap (sticky on one side) to act as a shock absorber, and buy a hole saw (c-clamp & block of wood, sand paper and sponge) to cut the ends to match the PVC and use it as lightweight stiffener.

Awesome looking project, congratulations on your progress so far!!!

View attachment 107929
Thank you for the great ideas, I'm going to do this weekend, Home depot should have everything I need .You gave some things to thinking about ! This project is not over until complete done and test outside , I hope to be done before the Spring season.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
@rocket2004 made a top from PVC back in August 2015, but I'm not sure if he is still on the forum. According to this thread, Roof or no roof?, he had it at 80 and everything held together well even though he had only glued about 4 of the joints. I was thinking about making a similar top, but after reading about someone flipping their Slingshot, I started wondering if all that PVC might shatter into little swords if my Slingshot ended up upside down.
Formufit now offers PVC pipe in colors and even clear with a variety of connectors. IIRC, the only drawback is they don't ship anything lounger than about 5 ft. Also, IIRC, Home Depot can special order Formufit PVC pipe for you in full 10 ft lengths.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know Queens is the second most expensive borough in New York for car and motorcycle insurance. I'm paying about $380 a month in insurance, plus parking space .
You need to move...somewhere else...no anywhere else...that is crazy for insurance.[/QUOTE

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys , I'm back with some updates on my custom made PVC pipes rooftop. I add some wind force down scoops and a wind deflector on the front, also I decided to lower the light bar on the bottom. I add a aluminum bars on the flat sides on the right and left to cut the wind. What you guys think ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't have the chance to install yet, but I'm looking for to do this this month as soonest the weather gets a little better.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How will you attach this to the ss in the front and back. Detail please and close up pics.
The front pipes, I'm going to attach in the mirrors screws with metal racket that is coming out from the inside of the pipes and the back is going on the roll bar hoops with reinforcement metal round circle attach to the pipes with screws. I don't know if be able to see from the pictures...I'll try to upload a couple more pictures with details.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts