Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Is it possible to make a whole new hood that functions correctly, looks good, has less drag, and isn't crazy expensive?

I know this is a long shot...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is it possible to make a whole new hood that functions correctly, looks good, has less drag, and isn't crazy expensive?

I know this is a long shot...
I'd like to. However, the development time, cost and likely sales volume would not be a project likely to receive approval or funding. Thanks for the suggestion. I have also questioned the cost, weight and complexity that Polaris invested in this somewhat wobbly system.
Best,
Paul

·
Registered
600 Posts
I got mine, I just wait for the fast red paint then I have it painted and after that I'll mount it and post pics.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,704 Posts
I got mine, I just wait for the fast red paint then I have it painted and after that I'll mount it and post pics.
I'm interested to see if it looks better red or black. I'll be waiting for your reveal.;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great, Mytoy,
Can't wait to see pics posted.
An additional tag spacer is on it's way to you.
Be sure to use it, particularly if you decide to not use the spacer washers when relocating the license bracket in the fender.
Best,
Paul

·
Registered
600 Posts
I ordered the paint from Gearhead.com, I found the paint code in one of the forums (I hope it is the correct one:banghead:) I keep you all informed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got it.Sorry I misunderstood.
My local auto paint supplier was able to access the code and created spray test samples before mixing mine. Best match comes from using a light gray prime coat. The fender requires little prep.
Be sure to soften fender trim edges with 400 wet-or-dry and thoroughly clean the surface with detergent and water, rinse and wipe quickly with iospropal alchol. Allow fast air dry. A tack cloth will remove lint or other airborn particles that are attracted to it after it is properly cleaned. Do not wipe the fender with lacquer thinner or any other hot solvent.
Paul

·
Slingshot SL "KEEP OFF"
759 Posts
Hi Paul @irishdesign ..........Interested in this product....Although a few questions. First it looks like you are going to offer it in pearl red, is that correct?.....Secondly will it be compatible with Metricks slingwing.....Any chance to get measurements from the top of your fender to the bottom base of the rear view camera?........Any visual effect if the license plate is not mounted to your fender...mounting holes or ect......Thanx in advance.

sw3.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Paul @irishdesign ..........Interested in this product....Although a few questions. First it looks like you are going to offer it in pearl red, is that correct?.....Secondly will it be compatible with Metricks slingwing.....Any chance to get measurements from the top of your fender to the bottom base of the rear view camera?........Any visual effect if the license plate is not mounted to your fender...mounting holes or ect......Thanx in advance.

View attachment 49233
The safe distance (vertical drop) measured from the Tinnerman clip fasteners that originally held the license bracket is about 3-3.5". Installing the LED will reduce that clearance. With a stock SL tire on your ride you might increase that distance by tilting the fender down a little when installing. (adjusting with provided shims) We can prepare for you a primed fender (ready to paint) for the same price as stock and possibly, for early adopters such as you, I might be able to have one custom painted. A painted one will push up the price.
If your license plate is already relocated the plate bracket need not be attached to the fender. That way, you'll see nothing referencing the plate, just a clean unbroken edge of the fender.
I can get more paint information to you tomorrow. My email is 231.425.0321.
Thanks for your interest in the Stealth Fender.
Looking forward,

Paul

·
Registered
136 Posts
Read the FAQs on line for greater detail. The virgin ABS is capped with an acrylic based UV shield that is rated for marine use in Florida sun. Critical attachment points and stressed regions of the fender are structurally reinforced with welded and adhesive bonded interior ribbing.
I think it looks great in black. I think will eventually crack since it's abs?
Read the FAQs on paramountplastics.com for greater detail. The virgin ABS is capped with an acrylic based UV shield that is rated for marine use in Florida sun. Critical attachment points and stressed regions of the fender are double walled and structurally reinforced with sonic welded and adhesive bonded interior ribbing. If you don't back it into a tree and it should be good for the long haul. I'll be willing to bet that the steel brackets of any swing arm mounted hugger fender will crack before the Stealth Fender fails. Part of survival is being in the right place. Mounting to the swing arm beckons trouble.
Best,
Paul

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will be getting one of these fenders hopefully before Christmas 2016!!! Like the rear fender and for the price, love it!
Thanks for the kind words. We're not able to hold the current (first adopter price to the forum) much longer. Our plug and drive wire harness and marketing expences are giving our accounting colleagues concern that we'll not recover our design and tooling investment.

Best,
Paul

21 - 40 of 59 Posts