Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone heard about the paddle shifters for the 2021 Autodrive?
https://www.reddit.com/r/polarisslingshot/comments/k9slur
Yes, and there is an upgrade for the 2020 if you have auto drive. I’m waiting on the parts availability now.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
DDMWorks has ordered the paddle shifters to retrofit to their 2020 Slingshot. They expect the kit to ship around Dec 18th. I'm sure they'll post a review once they have a chance to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
I talked a guy out of buying an AutoDrive about a month ago. He stopped me in a parking lot and told me his was in process of buying a SlingShot. In our talk, he mentioned he was getting an AutoDrive. I asked if he could drive a manual and he said he "knew how to a long time ago but forgot".
He followed me home and I put him in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. In about an hour, he was driving a manual 5 speed like he was born in one.

A couple of weeks later, he texted me from the dealership a picture of him in a brand new 2020 R Std. He thanked me for steering him to a manual and is totally happy with it.

Bottom line - If you want an Auto Drive then buy an Auto Drive. But if you are not buying a manual because you can't drive a stick, you are really less than a couple of hours from being a "stick driver".

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am just happy to have the updated soltware and have my Autodrive stay in gear. It is also shifting way better. Don
What kind of software update? I've been watching your posts as I have an auto drive as well, but no issues and works pretty well. I am on the call back list from the dealer to get the paddle shifter and auto email when they show online as available.

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My SS R Autodrive was one of the ones that was shifting into neutral while being driven. The fix was a software fix. I do not know for sure if it is the update that covers the paddle shifters I hope so. Don

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just got rid of our 2020 Auto Drive. Really unhappy with the implementation and the more I stewed over why they didn’t put a DCT in it the more aggravated i got with it. Really poor implementation in my opinion. I got it for my wife because driving my 5spd SS just stressed her out to much. So we got this even though we really disliked the behavior of the Autodrive Because it was easier for her and less stressful.

Then we had bucking issues when it dropped to first coming to a complete stop, it would lurch forward, the shifts were horribly slow and really clunky and it was just uncomfortable. It refused to shift to 5th gear until 50mph and if you were on the cusp of 50/49mph and on cruise it would just all of sudden downshift on you while cruising, add to that no control over the shift points and after 6 months of sitting in the garage doing nothing we finally got rid of it. Still have my 2018 SLR LE which I hope to have stick around for a few more years...

Reactions: SpringerRider

·
Registered
59 Posts
My SS R Autodrive was one of the ones that was shifting into neutral while being driven. The fix was a software fix. I do not know for sure if it is the update that covers the paddle shifters I hope so. Don
Thanks, My understanding is the Paddle shifters do not require a software update.

Just got rid of our 2020 Auto Drive. Really unhappy with the implementation and the more I stewed over why they didn’t put a DCT in it the more aggravated i got with it. Really poor implementation in my opinion. I got it for my wife because driving my 5spd SS just stressed her out to much. So we got this even though we really disliked the behavior of the Autodrive Because it was easier for her and less stressful.

Then we had bucking issues when it dropped to first coming to a complete stop, it would lurch forward, the shifts were horribly slow and really clunky and it was just uncomfortable. It refused to shift to 5th gear until 50mph and if you were on the cusp of 50/49mph and on cruise it would just all of sudden downshift on you while cruising, add to that no control over the shift points and after 6 months of sitting in the garage doing nothing we finally got rid of it. Still have my 2018 SLR LE which I hope to have stick around for a few more years...
Well the Auto Drive does not operate like a standard automatic and I never expected it to. It is a little jerky at very, very low speeds so I know where that spot is and avoid it. No problem. I also can control the shifting somewhat with throttle control. If I am close to where I want to shift I can back off on the throttle slightly and it will shift tot he next gear. Then I will throttle back up again. When passing or getting down on the throttle going 70mph can be tricky. Your normal reaction is to get down on the throttle. When you do it is like dropping down 2 gears. I have a truck that does the same thing and will get close to redline. I have learned (in the truck) that light throttle input will give you better power then just kicking it to the floor.

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After they did the software update the shifting is smooth none of that jerking. Like Bgmac said I can control the shift point some what with the throttle. This Autodrive is like a different critter now. What must be remembered is this is not a automatic tranny it is a manual that is shifted automatically. There for on down shifts you get engine braking. Don

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Polaris has been very conscious of the magical 1750 lb limit that is one of the factors that determines if a vehicle can be considered a motorcycle. A modern DCT does operate far more smoothly than does the AutoDrive used in the Slingshot, but the weight of a DCT would have pushed the new Slingshot's weight far beyond the weight limit. Despite the many complaints about how abruptly the AutoDrive shifts, such technology was introduced as far back as the 1940s and has been seen in vehicles ranging from Ferraris to semi-tractors.
I think Polaris' main mistake with the AutoDrive was not introducing a Paddle Shifter option when the AutoDrive was introduced. I assume Polaris was facing declining sales of the Slingshot, with a big factor being how few potential buyers prefer manual transmissions, leading Polaris to adopt the AutoDrive since it's low additional weight would allow the Slingshot to stay within the magical 1750 lbs weight limit for motorcycles. Traditionally, Paddle shifters have offered manual transmission-like responsiveness. If Polaris can achieve similar functionality with their Slingshot Paddle Shifter implementation, it wouldn't surprise me to see the manual transmission eventually dropped as has happned with many high performance vehicles.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I came across a YouTube video about Nissan CVTs and while watching the video I started wondering about how nice it would be for a manufacturer to build a CVT w/oi all of the fancy electronic controls that would allow the driver to simply chose whatever gear(-equivalent) he/she desires. Watching the video, if a simple manual or hydraulically-boosted method could be used to control the ratio between the two adjustable pulleys in a CVT, that would eliminate a significant degree of complexity if it could be made to work. Such an approach would provide the enjoyment of a manual transmission while not requiring the operator to use a clutch and would benefit driver's with leg issues or who just can't drive a clutch-equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I talked a guy out of buying an AutoDrive about a month ago. He stopped me in a parking lot and told me his was in process of buying a SlingShot. In our talk, he mentioned he was getting an AutoDrive. I asked if he could drive a manual and he said he "knew how to a long time ago but forgot".
He followed me home and I put him in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. In about an hour, he was driving a manual 5 speed like he was born in one.

A couple of weeks later, he texted me from the dealership a picture of him in a brand new 2020 R Std. He thanked me for steering him to a manual and is totally happy with it.

Bottom line - If you want an Auto Drive then buy an Auto Drive. But if you are not buying a manual because you can't drive a stick, you are really less than a couple of hours from being a "stick driver".
My auto drive isn't bad. I got it in the spring when the pandemic was bad and everyone was buying anything they could to get them out of the house and getting one was tough. I was at my dealer when they were unloading them from the transport truck, I seen a nice SL in Blue Steel and I said "I'll take that one" They didn't even have it out of the truck yet and I told the salesman to make out the paperwork. Didn't realize that the SL came with the auto drive. My wife likes it because she cant drive a stick no matter how much I have tried to teach her. I had the dealer put in the navigation and they had to update all the software to the 2021 models to get it to work, so I am guessing the new transmission software was installed at that time. The only thing I dont like is the clicking and the slight 'Whine" from the right angle transmission.

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drive my 2020 R Autodrive every day now that they updated the software. Yesterday it started raining while I was at the dealers getting my security system turned on so I just put on my rain gear and full helmet to drive Sally home. Even with it being 50 degrees and raining petty hard it would have been hard to wipe the smile off my face. First time Sally has been driven in the rain but it won't be the last. As for the noises I just drown them out with Lynard Skynard. I am thinking about the paddle shifters myself but not sure why I need them. I suspect we all buy a lot of mods we don't need but just want. Expect they they will add to Sally's cool factor. Now for the $400 for the kit I suspect the install will double that at $140 a hour for labor. Don't think I want to be the first install my dealer does. Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
I drive my 2020 R Autodrive every day now that they updated the software. Yesterday it started raining while I was at the dealers getting my security system turned on so I just put on my rain gear and full helmet to drive Sally home. Even with it being 50 degrees and raining petty hard it would have been hard to wipe the smile off my face. First time Sally has been driven in the rain but it won't be the last. As for the noises I just drown them out with Lynard Skynard. I am thinking about the paddle shifters myself but not sure why I need them. I suspect we all buy a lot of mods we don't need but just want. Expect they they will add to Sally's cool factor. Now for the $400 for the kit I suspect the install will double that at $140 a hour for labor. Don't think I want to be the first install my dealer does. Don
You got your security system turned on? Pushing that button on the key fob does nothing. is this something the dealer should have done before I picked it up?

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep thanks to the good people on this board I knew exactly what to tell the dealer and they got it done. That is why I was driving it the rain. The rain was coming and I didn't have a appointment so they was trying to work me in with out one. The weather guesser miss the time the storms was to get here by a bunch so the rain started before I left the dealer. The down pour started about half way home. I was 52 degrees and dropped into the 40s but dang it was still a nice ride. Now when I hit lock the horn honks and it locks out the key pad so the pin can't be put in. HoleShot Power Sports is a great dealer I guess they just missed it or maybe it was reset when they did the software update and I hadn't tried it before that. Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
My paddle shift kit arrived today ... Just need to figure out how to remove the steering wheel. Got the buttons installed already. And yes, it requires a dealer flash

1 - 20 of 24 Posts