Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Proud owner of new '18 SLR - have put about 300 miles on it and LOVING IT! Glad to be part of the community!

My wife picked up a helmet for me at a local motorcycle dealer (not the dealer we bought the slingshot from). I am not required to where a helmet in PA but decided after the fact I'd like to have one...

Regardless, the salesmen says to my wife "I would never drive/ride in a SS. They are way too dangerous and I'm a biker of 30 + years. The reality is if you are hit from behind you are getting rolled over by the vehicle behind as SS sit so low. You aren't as visible as a motorcycle due to how low you sit. My friend rented one for 3 days and begged me to ride in it but I refused due to safety concerns. I you get T-boned you are getting rolled over..."

Now I understand risk is inherent and everyone has an opinion so I'm not ready to return the SS or anything drastic but... to say my ears didn't perk up when my wife told me the story would be a lie. I am having a blast taking my boys in my SS (10 and 11 years old; always requiring them to where a helmet and obviously to strap in). However to think I am endangering them (or myself for that matter) is a serious accusation to be pondered.

Thoughts on this all? I know this forum may be biased (and I'm fine with that, no judgement). I guess what I'm asking is, what are your honest, impartial thoughts on this mans opinion of SS safety risks?

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,838 Posts
Can I just sit back and laugh for a bit? Visibility? Nothing gets noticed like the slingshot on the roads. You eat up a lot of space on the road compared to a motorcycle. I have had friends rear ended on sport bikes and they lived and had minimal injuries. The Slingshot has roll bars that have proven to do their jobs. most vehicles sit under the rear deck of the slingshot so worst case, they will push the wheel inwards...I have seen one rear ended and it wasn't as bad as you would expect. Roll over... there is at least one owner that has rolled over and once insurance was worked out, he bought a new one. If it were that bad, you would imagine he would avoid them at all cost. T-boned...well I have seen a few slingshots t-boned...and well some have walked away, and unfortunately some have not. Compared to a motorcycle getting t-boned...I would take my chances in the Slingshot any day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just sit back and laugh for a bit? Visibility? Nothing gets noticed like the slingshot on the roads. You eat up a lot of space on the road compared to a motorcycle. I have had friends rear ended on sport bikes and they lived and had minimal injuries. The Slingshot has roll bars that have proven to do their jobs. most vehicles sit under the rear deck of the slingshot so worst case, they will push the wheel inwards...I have seen one rear ended and it wasn't as bad as you would expect. Roll over... there is at least one owner that has rolled over and once insurance was worked out, he bought a new one. If it were that bad, you would imagine he would avoid them at all cost. T-boned...well I have seen a few slingshots t-boned...and well some have walked away, and unfortunately some have not. Compared to a motorcycle getting t-boned...I would take my chances in the Slingshot any day.
Thanks for the input Br4! Great points all around.

I agree on the visibility point in particular - in addition, the lights on the SS are very bright (and many more of them on a SS when compared to a motorcycle for that matter). I cannot agree with his thoughts on visibility with the exception of how low SS sit.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the input Br4! Great points all around.
I cannot agree with his thoughts on visibility with the exception of how low SS sit.
Normally I would agree...but the roll bars sit as high as most cars. I parked next to a Honda Accord the other day and realized the roofline is just barely higher than the roll bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally I would agree...but the roll bars sit as high as most cars. I parked next to a Honda Accord the other day and realized the roofline is just barely higher than the roll bars.
Thats exactly what I was thinking as I typed that response - 'I wonder how high the roll bars actually are? and if they are really that much lower than small cars?'

·
Registered
86 Posts
I only have 13500 miles on mine but I can tell you I have never felt like I'm not being seen.
Unlike when I road my Goldwing and people would cut me off all the time that is why I don't ride on two wheels any more. Your sons and wife are much safer in a Slingshot for sure.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bottom line, that salesman is a total idiot. A motorcycle is the least visible, most dangerous vehicle you can travel down a highway on. First thing I would ask is what he thinks his chances are getting T-boned on his bike. What a putz.

I have ridden on two wheels for decades and have had been in accidents and the majority involving vehicles pulling out in front of me. The worst was I had no choice but to swerve around the car and wound up on the shoulder of the opposite lane. The bike slid out from under me and I had a chance to experience what it is like to fly head first through the air. My gear saved my life most importantly my helmet but some idiot saying a bike is more visible than an SS is more than a few brain cells short of a dozen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, agree with all points - thank you both for taking a minute!

These are the (somewhat obvious) points I had considered before purchasing my SS but having not been a longtime motorcycle rider and therefore lacking first hand experience I was curious to know other opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do not agree at all with the salesman. That said, if I were concerned about the SS sitting so low that it is not seen I'd put a fiberglass rod on top of the roll bars with an orange flag on them like you see on go-carts.

On the other hand I have heard of a few accidents being caused by folks starring at the SS and hitting the vehicle in front of them. It's not the SS's fault it is so sexy! Kinda reminds me of a song by Mel McDaniel "Baby Got Her Blue Jeans On"! LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not agree at all with the salesman. That said, if I were concerned about the SS sitting so low that it is not seen I'd put a fiberglass rod on top of the roll bars with an orange flag on them like you see on go-carts.

On the other hand I have heard of a few accidents being caused by folks starring at the SS and hitting the vehicle in front of them. It's not the SS's fault it is so sexy! Kinda reminds me of a song by Mel McDaniel "Baby Got Her Blue Jeans On"! LOL
Safety first but somehow I cannot bring myself to put a dune buggy looking orange flag on my sexy blue SS haha.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi all! Proud owner of new '18 SLR - have put about 300 miles on it and LOVING IT! Glad to be part of the community!

My wife picked up a helmet for me at a local motorcycle dealer (not the dealer we bought the slingshot from). I am not required to where a helmet in PA but decided after the fact I'd like to have one...

Regardless, the salesmen says to my wife "I would never drive/ride in a SS. They are way too dangerous and I'm a biker of 30 + years. The reality is if you are hit from behind you are getting rolled over by the vehicle behind as SS sit so low. You aren't as visible as a motorcycle due to how low you sit. My friend rented one for 3 days and begged me to ride in it but I refused due to safety concerns. I you get T-boned you are getting rolled over..."

Now I understand risk is inherent and everyone has an opinion so I'm not ready to return the SS or anything drastic but... to say my ears didn't perk up when my wife told me the story would be a lie. I am having a blast taking my boys in my SS (10 and 11 years old; always requiring them to where a helmet and obviously to strap in). However to think I am endangering them (or myself for that matter) is a serious accusation to be pondered.

Thoughts on this all? I know this forum may be biased (and I'm fine with that, no judgement). I guess what I'm asking is, what are your honest, impartial thoughts on this mans opinion of SS safety risks?

·
Registered
361 Posts
you know I have been riding Harleys for 40yrs and in the last 3 yrs I've had to cross it up to avoid an accident a couple times and both people were looking down texting I presume...now that I have a sling shot even if there texting and glance up and back down they look up immediately ….they notice us now...I'm finally being seen and feel a lot more comfortable and so does my girl.....there seen better and we are helmeted and belted and have a roll hoop.....I do not agree with that gentleman....we are safer.....we may not win any accident...but I think we would come out better than the guy on two wheels who people don't see.....that's my opinon from driving the slingshot for two years...he might be biased...did you say he sells motorcycles....talk to him when he's selling slingshots....have fun...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

67,000 miles since Feb 2015...safest fun you can have with your 'clothes' ON. … or off … haven't driven any naked miles but one young lady told me she would have to get naked to get in.
HAVE FUN....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Corvette, Lamborghini, Ferraris all sit lower than a slingshot. Do you have problems seeing them when they're on the road?
Absurd!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, I love my SS but is it as safe as my other car - no way. Is it safer than a motorcycle - I have to think so. As far as not seeing it...crazy Is it not safe - well compared to what. I generally ride my SS on roads one might ride a bike which you pedal, well much safer than that.

If a car in front of me stops to turn and there is a car behind I do generally turn on my flashers. The gas tank is right back there by the battery so I would think a strong hit from behind could cause a fire - a lot like the pinto years ago.

Life has risk - to have fun in life introduces more risk. OK - need to go for a ride now..my 2 cents. Congrats on the slr..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Good point, penrose. The safest place to be, if not the most fun, is in a padded, solitary confinement cell, deep within the heart of a maximum security prison. While I don't want to take stupid risks, I also don't want to live there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let me give you first hand experience: I have totalled a SlingShot so I think I can speak with a little bit of experience. You can see my thread here: Batmobile is Totalled.

First, the SlingShot did it's job and protected me. The frame crushed in about a foot, the engine and transmission dropped, and the seat belt held. The cage-frame around the cab bulged OUT, away from the occupants. Yes, I was hurt (broken foot, torn up shoulder, BIG bruises that lasted a while), but I survived going 55 mpg into the side of a Mustang. I have no fear of getting into another SlingShot and just bought my second a few months ago.

Regarding visibility, I guess you could say we are a little lower/smaller/harder to see, but I think that's just excuses of people not paying attention. I've been pulled out in front of in my Red lifted 4x4 truck allot too - can't say they didn't see me there.

Regarding helmet, I think that is all personal choice. I have been riding motorcycles for 30+ yrs and ALWAYS wear a helmet - there is nothing around a MC to protect your head in a fall. I do not wear one in the Slingshot as we do have the cab/windshield/roll bars to protect the head. I did get flying plastic shrapnel in the face (destroyed my eyeglasses), but that's from the open cab - probably better that broken glass hitting me. I do wonder if the helmet would have hurt or helped in the accident (weight on the neck - Dale Earnhardt accident thoughts).

I did put 4-point seat belts in the new SlingShot. As far as I'm concerned, the stock 3 pts did as much damage as anything and feel that I should have been better restrained. I am probably going to upgrade from the 4 pts to the H-Harness because I still don't feel very secure (I bought cheap 4-pts - got what I paid for).

Don't let the opinions of one salesman ruin your experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for sharing again - good to know and very glad for you, that you walked away. I was never really sure how the SS would handle a crash. A 4 point seat belt does sound like a good idea and really would look good as well. Where did you get yours?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts