Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want this bad. Wife is pushing back... hard. Too expensive. Too dangerous. I'll look like an incredible dork in this thing (I look like a dork with or without a Slingshot... at least while driving it I'll be somewhat anonymous with a helmet on). I don't care about appearances -- I'm actually not that big a fan of the looks of this thing, but I'm really excited about what it delivers and that's what ultimately matters.

I think she'll love it as much as I plan to... but that won't happen if she engages veto power.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I want this bad. Talked to the owner of the local dealership yesterday -- he got to test drive a Slingshot and is really, really excited about it. He's going to require all employees to take it for a spin when they arrive -- he said the excitement will be off the charts. It's outrageous.

Wife is pushing back... hard. Too expensive (way cheaper than the competition, including Harley trikes). Too dangerous (not as safe as a car, but can't tip over like a 2 wheel bike). I'll look like an incredible dork in this thing (yeah, I'm in my 50's and not a "cool older guy". I look like a dork with or without a Slingshot... at least while driving it I'll be somewhat anonymous with a helmet on). I don't care about appearances -- I'm actually not that big a fan of the looks of this thing, but I'm really excited about what it delivers and that's what ultimately matters.

I think she'll love it as much as I plan to... but that won't happen if she engages veto power.

My trump card: when her dad was my age, he got into riding. He bought a Gold Wing -- without asking for permission first. But I don't want this to be the source of disharmony. Any ideas on how to "sell" this? I've got a deposit burning a hole in my pocket... want to run down and get mine reserved.
I don't know if it will work for you but a while back I wanted a particular bike really bad. She knew I wanted it but was resisting, at some point I casually mentioned I wanted to get this before I got too old to enjoy it. For whatever reason she seemed to understand that and said OK. Good Luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would go the opposite direction, Start talking about buying a $35K Harley CVO and how fast they are. (well...for a Harley) Then start mentioning all the things you will want to upgrade and whine a little about the cost of Harley add-ons...well you get the idea. Hopefully she will start thinking how much safer and cheaper the SS is and get on board with it.If that does not work, tell her your going to cut her off...yah...that will work

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would go the opposite direction, Start talking about buying a $35K Harley CVO and how fast they are. (well...for a Harley) Then start mentioning all the things you will want to upgrade and whine a little about the cost of Harley add-ons...well you get the idea. Hopefully she will start thinking how much safer and cheaper the SS is and get on board with it.If that does not work, tell her your going to cut her off...yah...that will work
it would make life so much simpler if you could use one tact on all females instead of trying to find out which one works with which lady.........:confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol @ cut her off. I'm actually going to use that threat... just to see the milk shoot out her nose. :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I once had a wife who said "it's me or the airplane."

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I once had a wife who said "it's me or the airplane."
So far all of mine have known better than try to separate me from my toys, after all there are a lot more potential ex-wives than cool toys..........( I sure hope mine doesn't decide to visit this forum):woot:

·
Registered
839 Posts
My girlfriend pushing back for the T-Rex...but when i give her the Steering Wheels...i win!

Who pay the bill?! You, or her to?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be clear -- yes, she played the "it's too expensive" card, but it's not about money. She was just rolling out any and all objections. "Who pays the bills?" isn't the issue.

This is about getting her to buy in conceptually. Without that, there will always be a dark cloud hanging over this. It's supposed to be fun... that wouldn't be fun. I think she'll enjoy it as much as I will, but she has a hard time seeing that in advance. What this might take is a leap of faith -- surprise her with it and see how it goes. Worse case: it turns into a train wreck and I sell it with low miles to one of you vultures at pennies on the dollar. :p

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've been down this same road twice in the last two years. First with the Vette and now with the SS.

HER: "I thought the Vette was for your midlife crisis?"
ME: "No, that's my project car. The SS is for my midlife crisis"
HER: "Fine, is your life insurance up to date?"
ME: "Yes."
HER: "Ok, go ahead. I can't stop you anyway"

She doesn't really like riding in the Vette and I suspect she won't like this any better.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
To be clear -- yes, she played the "it's too expensive" card, but it's not about money. She was just rolling out any and all objections. "Who pays the bills?" isn't the issue.

This is about getting her to buy in conceptually. Without that, there will always be a dark cloud hanging over this. It's supposed to be fun... that wouldn't be fun. I think she'll enjoy it as much as I will, but she has a hard time seeing that in advance. What this might take is a leap of faith -- surprise her with it and see how it goes. Worse case: it turns into a train wreck and I sell it with low miles to one of you vultures at pennies on the dollar. :p
I can live with that, let me send you my number....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
My deal is to fix the hot tub…and upgrade the life insurance. I'm not sure if the insurance is for riding or if she decides to kill me.;) That reminds me, I bette get started on that hot tub.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put my deposit down. The dealer
Sent my receipt in the mail. The
Wife picks up the mail.

So one day I get this txt saying
You need to call me. Yeah that's
How I broke the ice on this one.
Maybe not the best way. But I was
Already selling some other cars,
So after some talking she seems
Ok with it.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Before the T-Rex i owned a Spyder...my girlfriend say is unsafe...and don't want ride on this...look her face after she drive it!(show this to your lady!):)
DSCF1164.JPG

·
Registered
210 Posts
too expensive? ask her to find a car that provides this much fun for less. I certainly cant suggest any as the closest is a miata which is probably a lot less fun.

If she is concerned about safety I would point out this thing is probably safer then some of the cars you have owned as crazy as that sounds. certainly no pinnacle of safety though

You cant be a cool old guy without the cool toys.

It sounds like you yourself question if this thing is a good fit for you judging by your desire to be anonymous in it for fear of its appearance. I suggest you coming to terms if this is really the toy you want or if its a different toy before putting the real challenge down on your wife to give it the okay. I personally find bargaining something the other half wants is a great way to get what you want. Luckily my other half doesnt care what I do as long as I dont injure myself.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hopefully your dealer is like mine and only requiring a refundable deposit. If not find one that does. No risk at that point. When it comes in you can give her a test ride and hopefully she likes it. If she hates it then the dark cloud you speak of will be an impossible hurdle to overcome no matter how you spin it.

At that point its time to decide if keeping her happy is worth more than acquiring the toy. Only you can make that call. For me no toy could come close to replacing the mother of my children. But then I took my time shopping, found one of the great one's and took even longer convincing her that I was worthy of her attention and worth spending the remainder of her life with. 26 years later and we are still going strong, the kids are nearly all on their own now and soon we will begin to write the final chapter.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

See, thats where she has you brainwashed.......That it "wouldnt be fun without her blessings..."
BS, thats how women keep their little men in line. :)
Get one, if she doesnt wanna go in it then have more fun without her and then she will realize she cant bully you any more.
Who pays the bills IS the issue. If she works and makes all the money and you are a house husband, then you need her permission to spend her money. If you make all the money and you can afford it, then why do you need permission?
Haha, come on guys, get your balls back from your woman's purse!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I put my deposit down. The dealer
Sent my receipt in the mail. The
Wife picks up the mail.

So one day I get this txt saying
You need to call me. Yeah that's
How I broke the ice on this one.
Maybe not the best way. But I was
Already selling some other cars,
So after some talking she seems
Ok with it.

Oh hell.....Theres days when Ive driven up in new Vipers.
They get over it.
One time I came home and told her I sold the vette and bought a viper. She didnt believe me. I asked her if she wanted to come outside and see it. She said no. I said ok, then.
Few days later the garage door was open and she starts jumping up and down saying "cool, you got a Viper!!!"
Go figure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts