Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, these are toys. They are unique toys. Like any toy, many people are going to love them and some might not groove on it for whatever reason - can't drive it to work, weather, no pre-purchase spousal approval, etc. Hell, the economy sucks dong and toys are often the first to go. I bought my last boat from a guy in that situation - the 3 Ds - 'Death, Divorce and Destitution'. :)

That said, what's the over/under on when we'll see one of the early deliveries show up for sale? It's bound to happen - it always does.

I for one would love it as I'm pulling the trigger in April-ish as the weather breaks. How awesome would it be if an owner had to unload his for whatever reason - very low miles, broken in, issues worked out and post initial depreciation. For example, a nice base for $17,500.

Fun to speculate. Whattya think?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think that the price of a used Slingshot may be even more in higher price. Just because some dealers are already marking them up in price for a new one. But as you mentioned Slingshot being a toy or not. Some toys do cost a lot for being unique as time goes. I think Slingshot will be one of those toys. Who know what tomorrow will be, just enjoy now!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So, these are toys. They are unique toys. Like any toy, many people are going to love them and some might not groove on it for whatever reason - can't drive it to work, weather, no pre-purchase spousal approval, etc. Hell, the economy sucks dong and toys are often the first to go. I bought my last boat from a guy in that situation - the 3 Ds - 'Death, Divorce and Destitution'. :)

That said, what's the over/under on when we'll see one of the early deliveries show up for sale? It's bound to happen - it always does.

I for one would love it as I'm pulling the trigger in April-ish as the weather breaks. How awesome would it be if an owner had to unload his for whatever reason - very low miles, broken in, issues worked out and post initial depreciation. For example, a nice base for $17,500.

Fun to speculate. Whattya think?

I think that would be a good price for the seller.
If I needed to unload a car, Id take 17500 for it.
Not today, but if I had to unload it.
Maybe :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I agree... Higher... During the first year a used SS will be about MSRP... If Polaris is able to boost output of Spirit Lake and out supply demand during the second half of 2015 the used price will drop... But I think a great condition used SS during 2015 will be close to MSRP...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
There will always be stuff for sale.
Some guy down south will put 4k miles on one and then go look at a Fiat 4C and decide he needs one of those and needs to sell his SS to help pay for it.
Or he sees a new Zo6, or whatever the case may be.......Next!!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
There will always be stuff for sale.
Some guy down south will put 4k miles on one and then go look at a Fiat 4C and decide he needs one of those and needs to sell his SS to help pay for it.
Or he sees a new Zo6, or whatever the case may be.......Next!!
+1 ^^^

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Waiting for some poor soul who needed to sell do to whatever mishap befell him was my original idea ,herself decided to get on the list . So we are on a list.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I think they will be easy to buy in a few months after these initial buyers are filled, hell several dealers have them sitting on floor now and some even sell them below MSRP. I am taking it on the chin to buy mine now, but im not getting any younger and all this waiting made my hair turn grey. If Polaris raises the price on the next year it might help the stinging we are taking now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe Wingshot is correct. Once initial units are fulfilled and they are sitting at dealers, the price will be negotiable. However, I would bet money they do a $2k price increase by next years model. That will make the initial owners be able to take less of a hit. Just my $.02

However, if they replace the engine with something better, the first units will drop in price. Does anyone know how many, if these discontinued engines Polaris picked up?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unless GM makes more for them? the next logical motor is the GM 2.5 L - based on the 2.4 L( somewhat ) and it will cost more - to us.
I would love to have a VW 4cyl turbo TDI you can chip them up really high.

Doug

·
Registered
272 Posts
Better consider any extras that have been installed on it. I've already spent quite bit by adding mods to mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think Mod = money. In the sports car world mods usually decrease resale. Any changes I put into my car I do for me and expect to get anything out of the upgrades.
Too many taste variables. Some mods can void warranties.
We love our SSSL, but I think it will be a depreciation monster. Polaris will crank them out and there will eventually be plenty to go around. It is a very niche market so you have to find the right buyer. Why buy a unknown used when you can buy a new for 10% more?.
As a toy (like many sports cars) people tend to abuse them a bit more then their daily drivers.
Just my .02
Time will tell

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
They will get a few bucks more for their turbo kits but all the rest of the mods not really.
Ill probably keep mine basically stock and when a better, faster model comes out Ill sell or trade in. Easy enough when its all stock and the value isnt as speculative.
Some of these guys will have like 40k in a vehicle they bought for 25 grand. Interesting to see what the value looks like later on when Polaris or someone else comes out with something improved/better.

So far the used market is still strong, but it hasnt been long enough.
I would look at the Can Am Spyder and see how the depreciation is on those. That might be the closest depreciation model we can look at.

Being mostly stock I dont care about depreciation so much, it is what it is....I would care if I had a ton of money wrapped up in it and then something new and improved came out. Then I would care. Been down THAT road before. :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't think Mod = money. In the sports car world mods usually decrease resale. Any changes I put into my car I do for me and expect to get anything out of the upgrades.
Too many taste variables. Some mods can void warranties.
We love our SSSL, but I think it will be a depreciation monster. Polaris will crank them out and there will eventually be plenty to go around. It is a very niche market so you have to find the right buyer. Why buy a unknown used when you can buy a new for 10% more?.
As a toy (like many sports cars) people tend to abuse them a bit more then their daily drivers.
Just my .02
Time will tell
So true! Wanna buy a much loved and tracked Z3 with a Nitrous system? ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Plus the other side of things that nobody has mentioned yet is that Polaris sure as heck will be increasing the prices for 2016 and on out. They did what they wanted and hit their price point of under $20K for their launch. Now sales and demand can justify the higher prices, You've already seen the small jump for the Orange LE, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the base stay the way it is for 2016, but the MSRP goes up to $22K and the rest of the line follows. All other options and accessories will be at a higher price as well. JMHO

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wouldn't expect to get to get full value for any mods I've made, but I can say that I wouldn't simply give them away. I'm the type of buyer that would rather just go buy new if it only costs a little more. However, their are plenty of people out there that are willing to save any little amount. I have the time to wait on those people if need be.

I'd like to think I'm adding mods that people actually want/need (radio, alarm, interior lighting, etc). If I get into mods like exhaust, then yea, that's a preference over a necessity. At that point I would be replacing parts, not adding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts