Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sure, right now that Fu Man Chu mustash masquerading as a bumper looks cool. But you KNOW that in a year or two it's just gonna look Dorky.

image.jpg

Actually this is my second mod. After I installed the Full Blown CAI (THANK YOU Hogg!) I was congratulating myself for chopping 4 pounds from the Slingshot and started wondering what else I could do to reduce weight. I saw how easy the front whiskers came off and couldn't resist. I actually like the clean shaven look, the curb hazzard is gone and it gives my SL a unique look. I like seeing more of those lovely suspension arms too. Total weight loss - 20 lbs.

To finish the look I think I'll fabricate a fiberglass oval extension for the radiator inlet and put the original grill in to keep from scooping up birds

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I am interested... When you can please give us a front on and maybe a side profile?

I have been looking at the side splash guards... Those are the things poking me in the eyeball.... Been looking into designing new lower winglets and matching vertical stabilizers to better match the SS..... Want to pull the same idea towards the back area. Think rear wing but down low, split left - right on either side of the swing arm . Should help detract from the bathtub look a little.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
RD, lighting just doesn't show up what you probably need. Will try to get some better shots tomorrow. It litterally takes only a few minutes to remove or install these parts. There are a couple of connectors hanging down (for some future light?) that will be easy to tie up out of the way.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those connectors are for fog lights. There is a place for a relay and fuse in the relay box. Then you add a switch under the radio & ya got fog lights.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
@Otter be careful bro. I too thought I would like the look without it. I went up to 100mph without it and the front end got real light and started to oscillate. I don't think it creates a down force as much as it's likely creating a vacuum under the front.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Otter be careful bro. I too thought I would like the look without it. I went up to 100mph without it and the front end got real light and started to oscillate. I don't think it creates a down force as much as it's likely creating a vacuum under the front.
Thanks for the heads up Wriggly. I've only backed it out of the shop for the pix so far. Those wing-like fenders are probably generating considerable lift and drag. I (and others) have had the hood pop up at around 65 when some of the latches didn't engage. The mustash probably counter balances the fenders with still more drag. No wonder this thing doesn't get better gas mileage :)

All the more reason to find some huggers for the front wheels.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Wriggly. I've only backed it out of the shop for the pix so far. Those wing-like fenders are probably generating considerable lift and drag. I (and others) have had the hood pop up at around 65 once when some of the latches didn't engage. The mustash probably counter balances the fenders with still more drag. No wonder this thing doesn't get better gas mileage :)

Just messing with you dude.:D I haven't taken mine off yet, but after seeing yours, I'm liking it and I think I'm gonna do it too. Post a side view if you can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Wriggly. I've only backed it out of the shop for the pix so far. Those wing-like fenders are probably generating considerable lift and drag. I (and others) have had the hood pop up at around 65 once when some of the latches didn't engage. The mustash probably counter balances the fenders with still more drag. No wonder this thing doesn't get better gas mileage :)

If you take the hood completely off and then reinstall the "mustash" wing upside down, you'll have something that looks a bit like Ed Roth's famous Outlaw T-bucket hot rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Otter, Congrats on finally getting a Slingshot! I think it doesn't look too bad with the wings removed.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, just no. Glad you're enjoying it though
I'm sure this is pure sacrilege to some. But there is a great opportunity for you aftermarket guys to come up with a great new look for the Slingshot. The chin will need just a minor tweak, mere child's play compared to what lucky one did with his body kit on the rump.

I'm way past caring about patents or trademarks so go for it! Save me the trouble of making my own cooling inlet fairing.

Everyone else get busy with those wrenches before people start laughing at your silly 'stash :D

Pretty sure I'll still be in FL for the Slingfest if anyone wants to see it before risking blasphemy yourself.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I'm sure this is pure sacrilege to some. But there is a great opportunity for you aftermarket guys to come up with a great new look for the Slingshot. The chin will need just a minor tweak, mere child's play compared to what lucky one did with his body kit on the rump.

I'm way past caring about patents or trademarks so go for it! Save me the trouble of making my own cooling inlet fairing.

Everyone else get busy with those wrenches before people start laughing at your silly 'stash :D

Pretty sure I'll still be in FL for the Slingfest if anyone wants to see it before risking blasphemy yourself.
Otter, looking forward to meeting you @slingfest in 3 weeks if you come. Glad you FINALLY received your s/s

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I think a bare bones rat rod looking Slingshot that is really fast/quick would be awesome!

It would also be very different compared to what most are doing.

If I had more resources to machining tools and bodywork expertise, I'd go for it.

Reactions: Otter
1 - 20 of 63 Posts