Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if Polaris's original marketing strategy went sideways very quickly due to an unexpected (to them) level of popularity ahead of any deliveries. I think I've read where the corporate office was calling the first three units "demos" while those units with cold, hard money deposits were called "pre-sold". Considering the investment the dealers had to make in valuable floor space and $$ for the displays, there seems to be some logic for an initial delivery of three units of 2 SLs and 1 SS - put one of each in the floor display and use the second SL for test drives. That gives those who were waiting to see one or drive one before making a purchasing decision the opportunity to do so. It also means getting some use out of the floor display and helps bring those potential customers into the dealership. Of course, that means an even higher investment for the dealers to have 3 units not moving. This strategy could have worked had the dealers been able to get their pre-sold units delivered within days to a few weeks of getting the demos in AND had Polaris been more clear with the dealers and consumers (us) as to the plan. I suspect with the overwhelming popularity of the SS, the head shed had to come up with Plan B and figured a less-than-clear fax was the best way to communicate that plan to the masses. I'm counting on the SS to be of much higher quality than the Polaris' SS Communication plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Might be some validity to this statement. The one part I wouldn't agree with though is having display units on the floor bringing customers in. I believe, and this is my opinion, that an SS on the road will bring in more people than a showroom display.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect it will take both. If Joe or Jane Consumer sees one on the road, they'll do one of two things - call their local dealer(s) to see if they can come in and see one, kick the tires, and take it for a spin, only they end up not coming into the dealer when the dealer tells them they don't have any available, but they're expecting a couple more on Thursday, but they're already sold, so you can't sit in them or drive them either, but you can walk around it. So they don't bother going in and defer any purchasing decision to some later date. Or they do stop by the dealer with the excitement to go try one of those out for themselves, only to get a cool virtual reality card, because that's as close as they'll get to touching a real one for some time. This time, they leave disappointed, just like me each time I stopped by my dealer to see if they had any new news, their display up, etc. Sure, there will be some more sight-unseen orders, like us, but for those on the fence, they will likely have to remain on the fence until early next year. If the general business model for a while will be to order these things (i.e. no stock inventory at the dealer), that's easier to accomplish getting those additional orders placed if the SS can be seen and experienced first hand. That said, we pre-order folks will be Polaris's best advertising, so they need to get the units in our hands ASAP!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It would make me feel a bit better if someone from HQ would sign on here and simply say something to this effect:

Guys and gals, we completely underestimated the popularity of the Slingshot and are taking every measure to get them into the hands of those that want them ASAP. This includes removing previously stated mandates for floor models and demo units at least until initial deposits are filled. With our current factory capacity we fully expect all pre-orders to be filled by X/X/X date and will do everything we can to meet this timeline. Thanks again for your enthusiasm and continued support of Polaris and the Slingshot, the hottest product to hit the streets in decades......

Seems like a simple statement that acknowledges this community that we already know they are following and gaining critical insights from without costing them a single dime. And what happens if they miss the date? Nothing if they follow-up in advance and provide even a smidgen of further insight and inclusion. Seems like 101 to me but I also understand the reality and state of corporate politics today and there is nothing in the book that details how to do simple things like customer engagement and management.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It would make me feel a bit better if someone from HQ would sign on here and simply say something to this effect:

Guys and gals, we completely underestimated the popularity of the Slingshot and are taking every measure to get them into the hands of those that want them ASAP. This includes removing previously stated mandates for floor models and demo units at least until initial deposits are filled. With our current factory capacity we fully expect all pre-orders to be filled by X/X/X date and will do everything we can to meet this timeline. Thanks again for your enthusiasm and continued support of Polaris and the Slingshot, the hottest product to hit the streets in decades......

Seems like a simple statement that acknowledges this community that we already know they are following and gaining critical insights from without costing them a single dime. And what happens if they miss the date? Nothing if they follow-up in advance and provide even a smidgen of further insight and inclusion. Seems like 101 to me but I also understand the reality and state of corporate politics today and there is nothing in the book that details how to do simple things like customer engagement and management.
The CEO of Polaris should be doing a cut and paste of your news release and emailing (or faxing) to Mike Jonakis, Polaris Industries Vice President who oversees the Slingshot product line, and telling him "Hey Mike, here's your frickin' solution to the BS problem the marketing guys got us into..." and if he wants to cut and paste the "Hey Mike" sentence I just wrote that's fine with me too... Somebody once said: "the solution to a difficult problem is not always difficult"...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with all of you!!! Hopefully, we will have our definitive answers tomorrow (Friday) and if not, all the dealers who have pre-orders already should be knocking on Polaris' door for specific and clear answers.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Somehow, someway, their marketing is genius, or borderline. Think about it... many of us are seriously frustrated, disgusted, and downright angry because we don't yet have in our possession a product that...A) we've never had... B) never seen... C) never heard... D) never anything!! They have managed to very successfully drive up their product desirability to alarming heights!

·
Registered
621 Posts
A chip off of Steve Jobs.... the master for creating demand for something you didn't know you wanted (or needed).

·
Registered
541 Posts
A chip off of Steve Jobs.... the master for creating demand for something you didn't know you wanted (or needed).
Totally agree. There marketing department had what 3 plus years
to get there Strategy down to the date.
Dam did I say date:confused::confused:
Maybe we need to send them a nice calendar.
Need pictures for each month.
We'll leave the days off of each month.
Put the days on and Polaris we'll really get confused.:confused::sorry:

·
Registered
432 Posts
hell, I called POLARIS Thursday 10/23/14 at 2:15 and abby or amy, didn't know any more than what we already knew. sometime in late fall was the answer. in typical Polaris fashion, it was contact the dlr. who doesn't know any more than what we know. these are the same responses I got when I had to call about something on my Victory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts