Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask opinions about doing a cat delete with my current setup. Right now i get no fumes and I want to keep it that way.

I plan to get Bob's tune also which is why I am thinking about doing the delete. Just don't feel like finding out the hard way that I need to put it back.

I've got the Nascar Tallboy shield, Twist canvas top, UAS rear spoiler, Windrestrictor and the Thermal Touring exhaust. Like I said, no fumes but still have cat.

I have K&N filter with more air holes in stock box so I feel it flows well.

So. I feel like I have everything already needed to keep funes out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the cat delete in 2016. Never got any fumes with stock muffler.
The stock muffler supposedly has its own small cat inside.

I've read that tall shields like mine can create a vortex and pull fumes in.
Most of my rides with current setup have been in cold weather so I am bundled up and cannot feel if there is a vortex. Any bare skin is frozen and numb lol.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
IIRC, exhaust smells are commonly associated with tall windshield AND Tops as it seems that combination tends to result in exhaust fumes being sucked up over the rear deck and into the cockpit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly why I am trying to see if my setup will be ok...because even though I have the tall shield and a top, I also have everything that most add after they get fumes lol.
Weather sucks here in PA so if i do gut it and get the tune, it can be months before i get to drive it.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Just noticed your Slingshot pic. I have the TD Top and a NASCAR style Plus 2 windshield that almost touches the front frame cross-member of the TD Top. I also have a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo kit. My Wife complains that I smell like exhaust when I return from as ride, but about the only time I notice the exhaust fumes is sitting at a light and the fumes get blown in. Otherwise, I don't really notice any fumes. I guess I should also mention that as a kid, I loved the smell of leaded gasoline😁. Not so much a fan of the smell of unleaded gas, though. :oops:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just noticed your Slingshot pic. I have the TD Top and a NASCAR style Plus 2 windshield that almost touches the front frame cross-member of the TD Top. I also have a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo kit. My Wife complains that I smell like exhaust when I return from as ride, but about the only time I notice the exhaust fumes is sitting at a light and the fumes get blown in. Otherwise, I don't really notice any fumes. I guess I should also mention that as a kid, I loved the smell of leaded gasoline😁. Not so much a fan of the smell of unleaded gas, though. :oops:
Where does your exhaust exit? Is that why you smell lol?!
Thinking my duals sitting low out back may be ok.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The Hahn Street Race exhaust system I use exhausts underneath the passenger cockpit like the stock exhaust. Looking at your Slingshot pic, I'd hope that if you don't smell any exhaust fumes with your current exhaust, you should hopefully not experience additional fumes with the Cat delete. I'd make sure that you don't smell any exhaust fumes with your current exhaust setup since the Cat delete will most likely increase any exhaust "aroma" you currently have, but I can't guarantee the Cat delete will not increase the smell.
At one point, Welter Performance (now part of Twist Dynamics/Slingshot Only) offered a set of small deflectors that installed underneath the Slingshot that were reported to decrease the chance of exhaust fumes being sucked over the back of the Slingshot into the cockpit. It's now discontinued, but here's an old link to the Deflector - Welter Performance Wind Deflector Kit for the Polaris Slingshot. Don't know if it was discontinued due to low demand or if folks didn't like it, but you mgiht be able to make your own to test, if needed).

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,173 Posts
I have a set of deflectors new in box if you need a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, rainy day and the wife is at work so no matter what doubts I have, need to have a project lol!

Able to get springs off and surprisingly back on without removing side panel.

Took about 3 hours with a small break. I couldn't get the springs back on and had to recharge my muscles.

Used my air hammer and also a hammer and pry bar. Only one casualty...poked a hole in pipe but she's good to go! That section is regular steel and the other piece is stainless.

I like the sound with my Thermal stealth exhaust but can't drive it yet. Hopefully the rain lets up.

Smell was not too bad revving in the garage but I know you are getting some fumes on a cold engine. Should be fine when warmed up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know if a tune will increase, decrease or make no change in exhaust smell?

It's not horrible but just wondering if anyone had experience with that?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don’t think taking the cat out will cause more smell in the cockpit. I think having the wrong windshield will trap exhaust fumes in the cockpit. I do think pulling it out will cause more pollution.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Sne the main purpose of the cat converter is to increase combustion of un burned fuel in the exhaust, removing the cat should mean a more noticeable exhaust smell since the unburned fuel is still there. SInce most performance tunes typically increase the amount of fuel going into the engine, I'd assume a typical tune with cat removed will have a slight increase in smell. Individuals may or may not notuice the chnage depending on how sensitive they are to exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have ridden it in 31° and 45° weather here in PA. I typically smell it when slowing down.

It's not the strongest Ive smelled. I assume the cold, dense air may have something to do with it and I feel that in warmer weather it may be less.

It sounds perfect with the Thermal RD system. It has more pep and where 4th felt like I was lugging it before, now feels good.

I know that when dynoed it was supposed to only be less than 1hp increase by the results DDM posted somewhere...but it sure feels like more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IIRC, exhaust smells are commonly associated with tall windshield AND Tops as it seems that combination tends to result in exhaust fumes being sucked up over the rear deck and into the cockpit.
I fixed that. Had a Isinglass removable rear window made for mine. Great for cold or wet weather.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The Wind Restrictor, Top and Tall Windshield combo reportedly results in minimal exhaust gas smell getting back into the cockpit. I didn't notice the Wind Restrictor in the original post until just now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I want to ask opinions about doing a cat delete with my current setup. Right now i get no fumes and I want to keep it that way.

I plan to get Bob's tune also which is why I am thinking about doing the delete. Just don't feel like finding out the hard way that I need to put it back.

I've got the Nascar Tallboy shield, Twist canvas top, UAS rear spoiler, Windrestrictor and the Thermal Touring exhaust. Like I said, no fumes but still have cat.

View attachment 186615

View attachment 186615
I have the cat delete with the tune and have little or no problem with the fume. Only smell fumes when I stop when the wind is from the rear. Which I have rear exhaust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, that's why I was surprised I would smell fumes...got all the mods to get rid of them lol.

Snowing here in PA so no riding for me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts