Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally clueless on heated gear, but I wanna see what's the latest and greatest with them.

I've gotten my heated seats on order, but I was also thinking of investing in some heated gear - but..I don't wanna deal with installing extra stuff on my SS in order to work with the heated gear.

I want something as ultra-portable and as plug-free as possible (obviously I would need to plug in their batteries somewhere in order to charge them when they're outta juice).

At the most, and if absolutely necessary, I want to be able to just plug in something to the Cigarette lighter between the driver and passenger side if I run out of juice....but I really don't want to install heat-trollers and such.

Ideally, I wanna have gear that I can "charge" before-hand, and can use them without being tethered to a power source.

The idea is that I can simply throw them into one of my storage compartments, and when my heated seats are just not doing a good job warming me up, I can just take out and wear my heated jacket or vest or gloves or long-johns...or whatever. (I'll obviously have to figure out a way to covertly put on my heated long-johns whilst pulled over on the side of the road ;) )

Any suggestions appreciated - and please, don't try to sell me something - I prefer unbiased opinions.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Im not very experienced with heated gear. But I know there are some jackets and vests and hoodies you can get from like home depot and lowes that run off the same batteries used for their tools. The ones I have seen have a controller built in with like 3 different heat settings, and last at least a few hours off of a single charge. No option to hard wire that I know of. But they are relatively cheap and can be used for a lot more than just slinging.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not very experienced with heated gear. But I know there are some jackets and vests and hoodies you can get from like home depot and lowes that run off the same batteries used for their tools. The ones I have seen have a controller built in with like 3 different heat settings, and last at least a few hours off of a single charge. No option to hard wire that I know of. But they are relatively cheap and can be used for a lot more than just slinging. View attachment 79953 View attachment 79961
Thanks! I see those on Amazon too, but I think I'll pass by the Home Depot and see them in person.

Wish they had a little more style to them though - not sure I wanna look like a construction guy ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the Bosch wireless heated jacket, works great. Just be sure and buy an extra battery.
You won't care if you look like a construction worker if you aren't freezing your butt off!

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,319 Posts
How cold will you be willing to ride? I have both battery powered and plug-in model jackets and that's what my opinion is based from. The battery model is good till low 50's. Under that and it doesn't do a whole lot as you have to put it on high heat and that drains the battery very fast. That's when the plug-in model works much better. I've driven in 30 degree temps with plug-in jacket, gloves, and pants.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How cold will you be willing to ride? I have both battery powered and plug-in model jackets and that's what my opinion is based from. The battery model is good till low 50's. Under that and it doesn't do a whole lot as you have to put it on high heat and that drains the battery very fast. That's when the plug-in model works much better. I've driven in 30 degree temps with plug-in jacket, gloves, and pants.
I think I'll probably draw the line at 50-ish degrees.

Which model(s) do you have? For the battery powered ones, can you plug them in to the cigarette charger to keep them from going all the way down, if you're running the high heat mode? I also don't mind buying extra batteries if possible

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the Bosch wireless heated jacket, works great. Just be sure and buy an extra battery.
You won't care if you look like a construction worker if you aren't freezing your butt off!
An extra battery would definitely be something I would invest me. Any particular model of Bosch that you would swear by?

PS - an SS requires a bit of Style in your gear too... #FashionBeatsWeather #FreezeAndShine ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I really don't understand your hesitancy to install a 12v "system". Gives you a lot more high end heating capability and never a worry about draining a portable battery. Also, easily handles multiple pieces of heated gear - jacket/liner, gloves, pants, etc. I already had all this Gerbing stuff from my motorcycle days.

SUPER easy to run a power pigtail from the battery to passenger compartment. When unused, it just coils up in the corner behind the seat. My controller isn't permanently mounted. Generally, it's securely stored in the compartment behind the seat. When I need it I just plug it in to the pigtail and lay the unit across the center console by the handbrake. Takes all of 30-45seconds. If I stop somewhere for any length of time when I feel it needs to be secured, I just move the controller out of sight behind the seat, or could just as easily move it back into the storage area.

Like I said - I think this setup is superior for heating abilities and gear flexibility.

edit: just read this update...
I think I'll probably draw the line at 50-ish degrees...
are you kidding? I ride in the mtns all the time in temps 45-50. All I've ever worn for this is a t-shirt, sweatshirt and a quality windbreaker. Even my wife just wears something like a long sleeved top, thicker fleece and the aforementioned windbreaker.

You don't need to stinkin' heated gear for 50 degrees!

·
1,319 Posts
I have the Dewalt battery powered jacket and for the larger batteries they are pricey. They are the only ones that will last a decent amount of time at high heat levels.
For plug-in I'm using the Gerbing jacket and glove liners. That way you can add layers for added warmth if needed. Also using the Gerbing heated pants when it gets REALLY cold.
I've mounted the power port under the left hand arm rest. It's invisible there in the warm season and during the cold season I just plug in the controller. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you kidding? I ride in the mtns all the time in temps 45-50. All I've ever worn for this is a t-shirt, sweatshirt and a quality windbreaker.

You don't need to stinkin' heated gear for 50 degrees!
I have the Dewalt battery powered jacket and for the larger batteries they are pricey. They are the only ones that will last a decent amount of time at high heat levels.
For plug-in I'm using the Gerbing jacket and glove liners. That way you can add layers for added warmth if needed. Also using the Gerbing heated pants when it gets REALLY cold.
I've mounted the power port under the left hand arm rest. It's invisible there in the warm season and during the cold season I just plug in the controller. Easy peasy.
Well - I freeze really easily and what I meant is that my uncomfortable temperature is 50 degrees. Beyond that, I'd rather take my car than ride - but I'm willing to push it a little in the cold season with heated gear.

As for wireless vs plug-in set-ups, I'm a bit of a neat freak and I've seen set-ups for heat-trollers which look really "ghetto" on an SS. Cost is not a huge factor for me, if it means a clean look - which is why I invested in heated seats - but of course, heated seats have their limits too and I would only wear the heated gear at the point where the heated seats are just not warm enough for me.

I'm not very handy with installations - but if someone can show me a wired set-up that looks neat and tidy and almost "factory" - I might be convinced - otherwise, wireless for me.

Costs aside, are there any wireless options, even with extra batteries needed, that are as effective as wired options?

·
1,319 Posts
For short distances you can get a large battery to keep your gear warm. But, it will not last long at all. That's the biggest down side. The second is the discomfort of the large battery. The third is they just can't get as hot as 12V plug-in.
Here is what I did and there are a few other clean options as well.
downloadfile-3.jpg

Reactions: kagai

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For short distances you can get a large battery to keep your gear warm. But, it will not last long at all. That's the biggest down side. The second is the discomfort of the large battery. The third is they just can't get as hot as 12V plug-in.
Here is what I did and there are a few other clean options as well.
View attachment 80153
Do you mind posting some more pics from different angles? Not sure what I'm looking at.

·
1,319 Posts
Do you mind posting some more pics from different angles? Not sure what I'm looking at.
If you look at the middle of the picture, that little black cap, that's the power port for Gerbing gear. This location is under the left hand arm rest beside the driver's seat. So, you would have to be under the Slingshot to see it.

Reactions: kagai

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look at the middle of the picture, that little black cap, that's the power port for Gerbing gear. This location is under the left hand arm rest beside the driver's seat. So, you would have to be under the Slingshot to see it.
Ah, okay. But I' m still completely clueless on how the wired heated gear need to be wired. I'll do some digging around but do you happen to have a link to a good, detailed how-to video showing how to install them and/or how they work?

·
1,319 Posts
Ah, okay. But I' m still completely clueless on how the wired heated gear need to be wired. I'll do some digging around but do you happen to have a link to a good, detailed how-to video showing how to install them and/or how they work?
Here you go brother:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CDYwBA&usg=AFQjCNFPv6eT-jbKHFP9qgGRcsey6lqceQ
If you need any further assistance let me know and I can run you through wiring to your battery. Also, I don't want you to get the idea I hate the battery powered gear. I love it, but it is better suited for outdoor work, events, concerts, etc.....Not so much for open air driving like you stole it.

Reactions: Fyrzout

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I have the Gerbing Heated 12v jacket liner....use a cig lighter to plug in the Slingshot --- you will want a adjustable thermostat for the System. Dose not have to be hard wired, so easy to use.

Just lots of different options out there today.

With the jacket liner and standard snowmobile pants I road 6 hours
one day with temps under 38 degrees. Just fine...(but I'm a little NUTZ)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here you go brother:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdUgb2fpzY&ved=0ahUKEwjCq8vt88TPAhWCeT4KHTl1B5QQwqsBCDYwBA&usg=AFQjCNFPv6eT-jbKHFP9qgGRcsey6lqceQ
If you need any further assistance let me know and I can run you through wiring to your battery. Also, I don't want you to get the idea I hate the battery powered gear. I love it, but it is better suited for outdoor work, events, concerts, etc.....Not so much for open air driving like you stole it.
I have the Gerbing Heated 12v jacket liner....use a cig lighter to plug in the Slingshot --- you will want a adjustable thermostat for the System. Dose not have to be hard wired, so easy to use.

Just lots of different options out there today.

With the jacket liner and standard snowmobile pants I road 6 hours
one day with temps under 38 degrees. Just fine...(but I'm a little NUTZ)

Thanks guys! Those Revzilla vids are perfectly detailed.

I didn't realize that the Gerbing 12V gear also work with the cig lighter. Any reason why I can't just stick w/ the cig lighter and call it a day? Can the cig lighter handle multiple gear connections? Can you for example, daisy-chain a jacket-liner, gloves and maybe pants - to the cig lighter?

Unrelated to this - I'm also installing a Viper Smart-start system that I can use to remotely schedule my SS to crank up on specific days if I'm not using it (extra perk - it also comes w/ GPS real-time tracking). It's my solution to not using a Battery tender since I don't have access to a personal garage - just shared parking garages. Everyone seems to be using battery tenders but is it not the same thing as cranking up your Slingshot regularly?

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Unrelated to this - I'm also installing a Viper Smart-start system that I can use to remotely schedule my SS to crank up on specific days if I'm not using it (extra perk - it also comes w/ GPS real-time tracking). It's my solution to not using a Battery tender since I don't have access to a personal garage - just shared parking garages. Everyone seems to be using battery tenders but is it not the same thing as cranking up your Slingshot regularly?
Briefly, you may want to use Search, there are only a handful with a Viper and no electrical issues. T-taps are the enemy, a skilled installer is necessary. The vehicle doesn't have doors or an enclosed passenger area, that gets a bit messy.

You probably want a small NOCO Genius charger, the Slingshot is sensitive to electrical noise, some plug it into the cigarette lighter between the seats. Many people use Battery Tender brand without issue, but when the tenders get older and the filter circuit gets worn there may be issues--not saying you will, just a heads-up they're built on the cheap but aren't inexpensive.

I keep my Slingshot covered and bring it up to operating temperature every two weeks throughout winter which cooks the unwanted gasses out of the engine oil; it lasted fine without a battery tender, but that was pre-alarm system. With remote start it cannot be in gear, and emergency brakes aren't overly grabby, so if anything goes amiss yours may roll out of the stall. If there are any issues (it's not a car) engine damage could result, and it might not be warrantied since you weren't there while it was running.

Regarding the remote, the range is about the same as a good garage door opener, about 1/3 block in a noisy RF city environment so you may need to be near it anyway unless you have a cellular connection. The remotes are two-way communicators, so when you give a command it will alert you to the result, including out of range.

Those are things I'd keep in mind when planning a system, hopefully knowing about them will help you design something that works well and you like with minimal cost & frustration. @Pocket Man took a few runs at it before his system worked properly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts