Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm close to purchasing. I'm a female in my late 50's and will probably not be installing mods alone, (I'm not helpless, but...) I can't imagine cruising without music, is it really worth the price difference? I've read a lot of your discussions..so; Is the need to install a heat shield still needed on 2019 (I've read it can be a very hot ride in summer)? Should I replace the battery with a car battery, (I read where someone suggested this); and... because I've read about being cautious because people may not see you, is there any reason not to install whip lights? I rode a motorcycle for about 25 years. If my post is inappropriate, I'll be glad to delete. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Twiley: welcome from a N.C rider. I'm not into music but lots of folks are and I'm sure they will address that subject. Heat shields have been factory intalled at least since early '16. I had a "16 and now an '18, and find no reason for a larger battery. Perhaps for those that operate a lot of electric mods a heavier duty batt is useful. I'd say, stick with OEM till you find otherwise. As to S or SL, since you want a good radio you'll prob need an aftermarket unit; in that case, if the S model suits you in other aspects (color, seats, smaller wheels, etc) that can save a bunch to apply towards accessories. Take your time, look around and ask a lot of questions. Don't hesitate to ask here. We'll try to help if we can. :) PS: add your location which can be useful. Perhaps some are near you and would like to make contact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response. I am in Augusta, GA. I think your advice to get the base model is on point. And, yes I'm a musician, so music is important for me, but I can worry about that later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry, Twiley, I like good music too (my daughter played four+ years for a high-end symphony orchestra here in the Bay Area) but without spending a LOT of money you're just not going to get good fidelity. Open cockpit, wind noise, engine revving, exhaust right under the passenger seat ... you get the idea.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I followed the recommendation that I buy a base unit or (lowest cost unit in the color of my liking) and then add the things I will need/want. Sure saved me money. As for the radio, no one I know is happy with the stock radio setup once they hear an aftermarket stereo install.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
From my perspective, the only reason to buy an SL or higher-priced Slingshot is if you must have the color offered and also want the GPS/Radio offered with that model. I'm now on my 3rd or 4th music setup, having tried a variety of speakers/enclosures/radios and amp, but there wasn't lot of aftermarket choices available when I bought. I bought the Base model and have added whatever I wanted. Now, the aftermarket enclosure makers have a decent idea what speakers work best and there are several choices available for enclosures and speakers. The one drawback to buying your own dash unit is the fact that there are not many fully waterproof dash units, especially if you also want navigation. If the Base color is acceptable to your tastes, you can assemble a good sound system using the experience of those who have done so already and save a decent amount of money. Keep in mind that an open air cockpit will generally require a larger amount of speaker power due to all of the ever-present road/wind noise and most stock dash units will also need an amp to deliver the needed power levels which will also require more expensive speakers compared to a regular car/truck with an enclosed cabin.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, I'm close to purchasing. I'm a female in my late 50's and will probably not be installing mods alone, (I'm not helpless, but...) I can't imagine cruising without music, is it really worth the price difference? I've read a lot of your discussions..so; Is the need to install a heat shield still needed on 2019 (I've read it can be a very hot ride in summer)? Should I replace the battery with a car battery, (I read where someone suggested this); and... because I've read about being cautious because people may not see you, is there any reason not to install whip lights? I rode a motorcycle for about 25 years. If my post is inappropriate, I'll be glad to delete. Thank you in advance.
I know a lot of people say buy the base model and then spend the money to add all the extras you want. I totally disagree. I bought a used SLR and have not been sorry for a moment. When you go to sell your tricked out base model the book value does not add anything for your upgrades. (Go to NADA if you don’t believe me.)

As far as music goes, I removed my speakers because it’s too noisy to hear the music unless you are using earphones or speakers in your helmet and I wanted more room for my feet. Adding expensive equipment will not cut out the external noise.

I recommend finding a low mileage used SS with the equipment you want and buy it. I paid $19,000 for a 2017 SLR with 2500 miles over a year ago. It came with many add ons which were not even mentioned in the dealer’s add.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts