Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2018 SL with only 2400 miles on it. Love driving it until while on the highway it reaches 65 mph. The steering gets extremely sensitive. Seems to float some. No problem till my speed reaches that 65 mph number.
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
57 Posts
Just drive it.
I thought I experienced all kinds of anomalies for the first few thousand miles. It is a very new experience. Now I can't even remember what they were.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
90,000+ miles in the seat of a Slingshot ... flat straight roads, mountains, foot hills, city traffic, quite country, 115mph (don't tell my wife), expressway
Recently purchased a 2018 SL with only 2400 miles on it. Love driving it until while on the highway it reaches 65 mph. The steering gets extremely sensitive. Seems to float some. No problem till my speed reaches that 65 mph number.
Any suggestions?
Drive it like you stole it. ENJOY.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got 4000 on mine since I bought it in April. I waited till I did the first 500 service to go on interstate. I have got up to 85 with no problems and feels great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check you tires for uneven wear. I thought my ss handled great. But I went through my first tires in 3500 miles. Took it to my alignment shop. It was crazy out of alignment from the factory. The technician said he's seen that on other slingers (and Razors, etc.). I thought she handled good when new. With an alignment and new Nittos it's even better. Whatever the curve speed limit says, I usually do twice that. That's my limit, not the machines.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I just put a new Nitto 555 on the rear...little over a year and just over 20,000 miles. The fronts have over 20,000 miles and still look brand new. I do have my dealer check alignment as necessary. The Lazar Alignment is best. Probably would not have gotten new rear but headed to the Smokes next week....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check you tires for uneven wear. I thought my ss handled great. But I went through my first tires in 3500 miles. Took it to my alignment shop. It was crazy out of alignment from the factory. The technician said he's seen that on other slingers (and Razors, etc.). I thought she handled good when new. With an alignment and new Nittos it's even better. Whatever the curve speed limit says, I usually do twice that. That's my limit, not the machines.
Where did you or the shop gets the specs for alignment?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lynn111, I can't tell you where the shop got specs. But the shop I took it to only does alignments, nothing else. And it made a world of difference in how my ss handles. I live in central AZ. There is no Polaris dealer near me that works on the ss. I've spoken with the shops in Phoenix. Just from the phone conversations, they suck. For example, my check engine light came on and said it was the knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor. The light of course is still on, the only way to turn it off is to have a Polaris dealer reset it. The Phoenix dealer said they would need the machine all day (I'm 2 hours away, and it's HOT down there!), and would charge me a couple hundred $ to diagnose. I explained I don't need it diagnosed, I already replaced the sensor, I just need the check engine light reset. They won't do it. I love my slinger, but I realize that any work/maintenance will need to be done by me or specialty shops. To be fair, I was pleased with the Polaris dealer in Cottonwood AZ. Unfortunately they no longer work on slingers. They said they are no longer 'licensed' for it by Polaris, so they can't get the software needed to reset the check engine light. So apparently a Polaris dealer has to pay Polaris extra money to use the software to fix a Polaris machine. Maybe that's SOP for manufacturers/dealers, but it sure doesn't make sense to me. Especially when there's only one Polaris dealer within a couple hundred miles of someone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lynn111, I can't tell you where the shop got specs. But the shop I took it to only does alignments, nothing else. And it made a world of difference in how my ss handles. I live in central AZ. There is no Polaris dealer near me that works on the ss. I've spoken with the shops in Phoenix. Just from the phone conversations, they suck. For example, my check engine light came on and said it was the knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor. The light of course is still on, the only way to turn it off is to have a Polaris dealer reset it. The Phoenix dealer said they would need the machine all day (I'm 2 hours away, and it's HOT down there!), and would charge me a couple hundred $ to diagnose. I explained I don't need it diagnosed, I already replaced the sensor, I just need the check engine light reset. They won't do it. I love my slinger, but I realize that any work/maintenance will need to be done by me or specialty shops. To be fair, I was pleased with the Polaris dealer in Cottonwood AZ. Unfortunately they no longer work on slingers. They said they are no longer 'licensed' for it by Polaris, so they can't get the software needed to reset the check engine light. So apparently a Polaris dealer has to pay Polaris extra money to use the software to fix a Polaris machine. Maybe that's SOP for manufacturers/dealers, but it sure doesn't make sense to me. Especially when there's only one Polaris dealer within a couple hundred miles of someone.
Sorry to hear this. It isn't a good name for Polaris

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I don't know if the ECU memory used to store codes needs power to maintain its settings or not, but this might help. Try disconnecting the battery and let things sit for 20 minutes, maybe even overnight and it might rest your error codes. Works for some things. If you don't want the hassle of disconnecting the battery terminals, try removing the 3 fuses at the fuse block near the battery and also remove the ECM and Powertrain breakers in the front fuse panel just to be safe. This should guarantee no power to the ECU.
Here's a page from my 2015 Owner's Manual and a pic of the rear fuse block near the battery -
HoodFuseBlock.jpg RearFuseBlock.jpg
Here's a link to a Google Search that might also help -

·
Registered
104 Posts
95 in 4th on a little ride today. The Sling can be a little twitchy. Over the years, I have had a Triumph Herald, a VW Beetle and two SAABs. You get used to quick steering. Don't try too hard to herd it. Let it sort of find it's own line.
My wife tells me I "wander" sometimes while driving. I tell her, "That's not me, that's the car looking for it's happy spot."
If you have ever driven MILES on ice and snow, you will learn to steer without using the steering wheel, stop without using the brakes, and accelerate without using the gas pedal. Sounds wierd, but that's how you survive winter in the great white north.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chris & Brenda, Maybe my guy did a lazar alignment, I know my ss handles better and no uneven wear yet. I'm glad someone has a good Polaris dealer. But if you interview a couple alignment shops I'm sure you can find one that can check/align your machine. btw-- I have mine over 80 all the time, and over 100 more times than I should, and it's never 'floated'. Maybe it's my beer belly ballast. I know it's personal opinion, but I think mine handles great and I would never lower it. I have to enter some parking lots and driveways at a 45 degree angle now to not scrape. I know I'd be scraping sometimes if I lowered her.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BKL Thank you, I will try that. Some posts said to start/stop 5 times in a row. I thought that sounded silly, but tried it. Some said after several hundred miles the light went out. I'm there, but the light is still on. I will disconnect the battery tonight and let her sit overnight. If it works I owe you a beer......

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel very lucky to have a dealer and tech support that takes very good care of my Slingshot. Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL is 120 mile ride but very much worth the drive.
I'm Jealous. In my 1st post I said I was not unhappy with a dealer near me. It is almost an hour away but in a small town and more service oriented. But doesn't work on the ss any longer. It's just about 120 miles to the dealer in Phoenix that would not reset my idiot light. He also said he might need it for more than a day. When I told him I lived 120 miles away, maybe I could get there when they open so they could do it the same day, he said they would try but no guarantees. So what I need is a $40, 30 minute light reset. What they'll do is a $200 diagnosis (this does include resetting the light), and they need my ss all day, and possibly more than 1 day. I wouldn't mind driving 120 miles for customer service, but.........

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I'm Jealous. In my 1st post I said I was not unhappy with a dealer near me. It is almost an hour away but in a small town and more service oriented. But doesn't work on the ss any longer. It's just about 120 miles to the dealer in Phoenix that would not reset my idiot light. He also said he might need it for more than a day. When I told him I lived 120 miles away, maybe I could get there when they open so they could do it the same day, he said they would try but no guarantees. So what I need is a $40, 30 minute light reset. What they'll do is a $200 diagnosis (this does include resetting the light), and they need my ss all day, and possibly more than 1 day. I wouldn't mind driving 120 miles for customer service, but.........
I do have to admit that I have an "IN". The dealership owner and I have been involved with the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation for over 15 years --- so we have a connection. However most everyone who I have sent there get great service. and several drive the 120+ miles to get it. I do make an appointment and get there before they open so I am there first in line with the appointment. coming up on 95,000 miles on my Slingshot and have been well taken care of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts