Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Long time reader, first time poster! I've pretty well made the decision to pick up a Slingshot next month and after spending many, many hours researching things, I've hit a snag - insurance! I'm located in Ottawa and so far I've called 2 places:

State Farm - will not insure the vehicle due to it being "high risk" (not me, the ride!)
Broker - comes up as an "invalid vehicle"

So, I'm 0 for 2. Where is everyone getting insurance from for the Slingshot?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Hey folks,
Long time reader, first time poster! I've pretty well made the decision to pick up a Slingshot next month and after spending many, many hours researching things, I've hit a snag - insurance! I'm located in Ottawa and so far I've called 2 places:

State Farm - will not insure the vehicle due to it being "high risk" (not me, the ride!)

Cheers

Dave
In the states there are only 5 companies that will insure the Slingshot. Allstate and Nationwide have some of the best rates.
Generally you won't save a lot of money if your motorcycle is not insured with the rest of your auto/house/etc ... I the states we all need to SHOP.... In two years in Northern Indiana I have put 44,000+ miles on the Slingshot....Hope you can do it soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Gooseman. Yeah, I called a broker last night and everyone they dealt with was unable to insure it! WTF?! They were going to call a couple more places for me and get back to me though. Beginning to think I need to move to Quebec :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
My broker gave up until another member on here gave me the wawanesa info and I am fully insured for a few dollars over a grand for everything. I will pm you some info

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, Since the Slingshot is only a 10 year trial in Ontario, many insurance brokers don't know how to deal. I have a broker who went to a polaris dealer and was trained up on the vhicle so she could underwrite. PM me and I can give you her info. I called Allstate originally and they said they wouldn't touch it... then I called her (she is an Allstate broker) and she made it happen

·
Registered
11 Posts
As Gooseman suggested, Wawanesa is great. You could contact John Nelson who is a broker with experience insuring Slingshots: [email protected]
I'm paying $1150 but have one ticket, which made it jump a bit.
You're going to LOVE the Slingshot, in case you were wondering. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bringing up an old thread, I am insured through State Farm. They have all the necessary info, however they "thought" we needed an M license (which I do have but my wife does not) to drive it. A few calls later and they realized the M is required in some provinces but not ontario.

·
Registered
388 Posts
my broker only had hree companies that would insure any motorcycles,(period) of those he found that, two of them do insure slingshots on a tri motorcycle policy, cant remember who the second one was but went for the first , it was also wawaneesa. by taking my truck to them at a better rate than my previous insurer, they also took the sling and was only an additional 860. So the question for you when shopping around for brokers in Ottawa area, is not who will insure a Slingshot ,but who writes policies for wawaneesa ? They are a very big insurer here so it wont be hard to find a broker who reps them and for your best rate offer to take your other vehicle policies to them too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey folks,

Cheers
Hey folks,

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave,
Wawanesa costs me $ 1450 /yr. in Ontario

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have insurance with wawanesa was $1040 now $1240 (No tickets just a general rate increase after yearly renewal). Still not bad however if they are the only insurers we may get stuck if they decide to hike prices even more. I have called around and all state is the only one I found that would insure but only if you are over 30 and have had a motorcycle license for 12 months (even if not required to drive). Can anyone list their alternatives

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am with State farm. Wawanessa quoted me $7200 a year (yes you read that right). State farm is about 1600, but I have two tickets on my record.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried state farm and was told they would not insure them. Do you have you broker details?
So I did get a hold of a state farm broker that would insure them however as with other brokers like all state, they require you to have an m2 licence. The stupid part is you can't use the slingshot by the governments definitions to get an m2 licence.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PM me if anyone is still looking for someone. I have a broker with Allstate who took a course with Polaris to learn how to underwrite this policy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As Gooseman suggested, Wawanesa is great. You could contact John Nelson who is a broker with experience insuring Slingshots: [email protected]
I'm paying $1150 but have one ticket, which made it jump a bit.
You're going to LOVE the Slingshot, in case you were wondering. :)
Used John Nelson. He is a motorcycle insurance expert and knows his stuff more than other Wawanesa brokers. Paid $1470 - clean driving record. 2Mill liability and 1000 deductible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my broker only had hree companies that would insure any motorcycles,(period) of those he found that, two of them do insure slingshots on a tri motorcycle policy, cant remember who the second one was but went for the first , it was also wawaneesa. by taking my truck to them at a better rate than my previous insurer, they also took the sling and was only an additional 860. So the question for you when shopping around for brokers in Ottawa area, is not who will insure a Slingshot ,but who writes policies for wawaneesa ? They are a very big insurer here so it wont be hard to find a broker who reps them and for your best rate offer to take your other vehicle policies to them too.
Whatever broker you use, be sure to bounce their quote off of John Nelson [email protected]. He is a motorcycle insurance expert and saved me between $100 to $1000 over another broker I was talking to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've spent some time calling around different companies and getting quotes for hopefully my upcoming SS purchase.

Here are the figures I was provided:

Statefarm (Broker) - $1988 / Yr

TD Insurance - Flat Decline

Scotiabank (1-800 #) - $1340 / Yr

John Nelson / Wawanesa - $1575 / Yr

Intact - Flat Decline

AllState (Broker) - $1971 / Yr ($250 of which is a charge for single vehicle policy)

Conditions:

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL

Hamilton, Ontario

G License (10+ Yrs) / No Accidents / No Claims

$500 Deductible / Full-Coverages

Looks like there are some options for Ontario SS owners... Only company I can think of that is left is RBC. I'll call and update with their reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I live in Kingston two insurance company that I know will insure you one is allstate in Belleville and L&A Mutual Insurance co from Napanee try them see what they can do for you and I do not have a m license

1 - 20 of 24 Posts