Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thing I was reading about here was the lack of aerodynamics and the possible effect it will have on gas mileage. I know next to nothing about this, but I have a question for anyone who might be able to speculate. Do you think that adding some sort of body panel on each side between the headlight and the bottom of the x wing, securely attached to properly deflect wind, might increase mpg? Something that would essentially cover almost all the way out to the edge of the front wheels. I'm also planning on some sort of top, maybe even flap style doors. I figure all of this might, just might, give some meaningful increase in fuel economy, but as I said, I don't know squat about it all cause I've only ever had motorcycles (naked bikes at that). If nothing else, I feel that it would make the open area by the front wheels look just a little more finished.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
My guess is that most of the Slingshot's drag will come from the open cockpit and/or the rear-end.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not thinking gas mileage. I am thinking of riding at speed in the open air, through the 'twisties' and with my rear end 5" off the asphalt!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another thing I was reading about here was the lack of aerodynamics and the possible effect it will have on gas mileage. I know next to nothing about this, but I have a question for anyone who might be able to speculate. Do you think that adding some sort of body panel on each side between the headlight and the bottom of the x wing, securely attached to properly deflect wind, might increase mpg? Something that would essentially cover almost all the way out to the edge of the front wheels. I'm also planning on some sort of top, maybe even flap style doors. I figure all of this might, just might, give some meaningful increase in fuel economy, but as I said, I don't know squat about it all cause I've only ever had motorcycles (naked bikes at that). If nothing else, I feel that it would make the open area by the front wheels look just a little more finished.
Why would you won't a machine like this just to ugly it up. Just by a electric car if gas is a issue.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I am not thinking gas mileage. I am thinking of riding at speed in the open air, through the 'twisties' and with my rear end 5" off the asphalt!
Just my guess although I do have some aero background. If they are truly 'twisties', the SS is not going to generate significant lift in any real life scenario. It is however, a real 'drag queen' in general. No one is going to use a SS for land speed record runs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, I've already expounded my reasons for getting the SS, and they are likely not the same as yours. I have motorcycles for twisties.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Why would you won't a machine like this just to ugly it up. Just by a electric car if gas is a issue.
Before the SS, a silly dream of mine was to street legalize a RZR with a cab enclosure, and drop in a 4cyl, and have a daily driver. LOL
It would have totally cost more than a real car at any rate, but I guess the point is, if you love something enough, you start to think of ways to use it in extreme (or mundane) conditions.
Your modifications to get to that endpoint don't have to make sense anywhere else, but your mind.

For me, in a bike that is pushing 1G, the Slingshot has plenty good aerodynamics. Despite the open cab, it's low, got ground effects, sleek; I think you may be pleasantly surprised when you ride in yours.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Most reverse trikes like the Slingshot seem to have some type of boat-tail rear-end, presumably for better aerodynamics. There's nothing wrong with wanting both performance and mileage. If folks never demand one and/or the other, the powers that be will offer them neither.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Got any idea how sucked to the ground it will be at triple digit with a good head wind/ guest ? Read some place they did not feel the need to do a lot of wind tunnel testing and what's with the wind splitter on the ft is that for show or go ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts