Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris stores will be stocking their own branded Slingshot 5W-30 SS-4 oil (gallons and quarts), and is rated for the 2.4L Ecotec better than the sports oils like PS-4.

In addition, Polaris will provide a transmission, transaxle, and anti-freeze solution for immediate release.

Polaris says these fluids have met "extensive lab and field testing."

More here: http://purepolarisoil.com/slingshot.asp

·
Vendor
118 Posts
As we all know Polaris has very good oils for their own engines; providing lubrication and protection where other oils fall flat however, with this simply being a GM drop in motor I would only run a premium synthetic oil. Especially at Polaris charging 9.99/qt for this oil..

·
Registered
410 Posts
From... http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/news-item.aspx?articleID=263

Lube-Tech (aka Lubrication Technologies, Inc.) in the early 1990s created for Polaris its first brand-exclusive, specially blended motor oil for Polaris 2-stroke snowmobile engines. Lube-Tech has since provided the company with specially formulated oils for engines in all Polaris vehicles, with each oil specially engineered for optimal performance and engine longevity. Lube-Tech has provided Polaris with exceptional customer service and breakthrough technology, including the first synthetic oil for a 4-stroke ATV engine, the first synthetic for 2-stroke engines, and the first smokeless 2-stroke oil.

·
Vendor
550 Posts
Thanks, I wonder how many SS owners will use the Polaris oil, or use another brand. I am still up in the air.
be careful here... other Polaris products have very strict rules against using anything but Polaris oils and such use typically voids warranty. Meaning for 2 years it will be highly recommended that you uses Polaris Oils if for no other reason than this.

Yes its mostly a ploy to get you to buy their over priced oils, and I'm sure their are many legal arguments that say they can't do this... but for an extra few bucks a qt its just less of a pain to deal with.

For what it is worth, Lube-Tech is actually a really good company from my experience. Our oil shipments come direct from them and the products they produce have always been very good imo.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have owned a number of motorcycles over the years. And it has not gone unnoticed. The brand of oil that the bike company recommends, just happens to be the oil company that sponsors their race team that year. Ex. Ducati said for me to use Agip oil in my bike. The last time I looked, Ducati is now pushing Shell oil............ who just happens to sponsor their race teem. I am not trying to cheap-out. I just wonder if the Polaris oil is really the best oil . With only a two year warranty . You could use some really low end oil in the SS and still get past the two year mark. I don't mind spending the extra $. I just want to know what I am getting for it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is a non polaris motor, so saying its a specially blend oil is a complete sales gimmick. I will stick with M1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what Im thinking .................. I don't remember GM specifying Polaris motor oil for the 2.4 ........... The Polaris oil might be the best oil for the 2.4 I don't know?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Never break in with regular synthetic oil. Use the oil that came in it or if you want to use synthetic only use a synthetic oil made for break in.
Thanks! That being said, I wonder if they will ship with this Polaris synthetic 'preferred' oil, or something else. Yet another detail to wait on!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I don't know about GM but some manufactures will fill new engines with a break in blend. Engines they get from GM will be filled with oil so I doubt they would spend the $$ to change all of them.

That being said its a old engine and most likely has been sitting around mineral type oils breakdown with just time so that's why I like to do the first change right after around 1k miles

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess if you want to buy an OEM branded oil, GM does bottle Dexos.

It's not like a lot of manufacturers do produce their own lubricants, although the practice is popular in the powersports industry.
The way I figure, Polaris obviously spent time to make sure these products would work exceptionally well with the SS, but it is up to you if you want to spend the extra money on something they crafted for their well-engineered vehicle, or trust your gut with your preferred brand of oil.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Polaris does not make their own oil. Neither does Yamaha, cat, ect.... Its all just re branded oil. Polaris oil's are made by Lubrication Technologies. They basically buy oil in large quantities and add what additives poalris wants and slap on their name on the bottle and charge you a arm and a leg. I highly doubt its a good oil at all, allot of the atv and some utv guys had/have bearing issues and once they switched oils no more problems. . It might not be the worst oil or the best but you can't go wrong using a proven high performance oil. Polaris didn't design or make the engine or tranny so I doubt they would test what oil is best for the setup or have their supplier formulate a new blend when GM has already done so. Its not a ultra rare hand built race engine, its a little four banger that was used in cheap econo GM cars, and most ran fine with people using cheap cheap oil in them for years. But the few that did mod them and pushed the engine used a better lubricant to help with wear.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GM doesn't make Dexos either, but they work closely in development of their product before bringing them to market, in many cases, years are spent testing the lubes in different engines.
Simply put: I know that I don't know as much about the oils as the people that manufacture them and the people that manufacture the engines too.

Depending on the situation, I'll also by the OEM branded parts when I need repairs and other hard parts like oil filters and air filters recommended by the manufacturer too; I do that already for my car.
I certainly won't always buy the recommended parts, but for the few extra bucks, sometimes I will go with what will prolong the life of my vehicle.

Lube Tech is no small time shop either. They bottle the oils for a lot of companies bigger than Polaris even: http://www.lube-tech.com/html/automotive
I'm not saying it might be the best bang for the buck, but you shouldn't offhandedly discredit their product either.

But hey, get the Mobil or Chevron stuff if you like. It's made by the same people, anyway!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts