Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I'm out in the shop and just crawled under to drain my oil. I have oil dripping off the drain bolt and I have on several parts underneath. I can tell 100% that it is all coming from my drain bolt. I have NEVER had an oil leak. NEVER!

I just looked at the plug and it does NOT have a crush washer on it. It has a rubber gasket built into it. But I highly doubt that it is sealing anything.

The bolt is super tight. My questions are.... Is it supposed to have a washer? Has anyone else had a leak here on the drain bolt?

Here is the mess it has made. Basically you can see it on the cross member and it's accumulating on the transmission bell housing and dripping. It's blowing up on the side of the engine also. If you look at the drain bolt hole you can see how the oil starts even with the drain plug. Basically making a big freaking mess.

I can't believe I have a leaking drain bolt. I guess there is a first for everything ...

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Parts book shows a drain plug and seal. Doesn't describe what kind of seal.

12616850 SEAL, OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG $3.19
11562588 PLUG, OIL PAN $2.59

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Here is the mess it has made. Basically you can see it on the cross member and it's accumulating on the transmission bell housing and dripping. It's blowing up on the side of the engine also. If you look at the drain bolt hole you can see how the oil starts even with the drain plug. Basically making a big freaking mess.

I can't believe I have a leaking drain bolt. I guess there is a first for everything ...

On my 1st oil change I switched to a magnetic oil drain plug which came with the crush washer - but I don't remember where I ordered it from :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I need to change the bolt to a solid bolt use a crush washer. I hate an oil leak. It has just been seeping past the drain bolt and blowing on everything. It hasn't dripped on the floor or i would have noticed it. You can even see on the radiator pipe how it's just blowing everywhere and you can clearly tell it starts at the drain plug.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Parts book shows a drain plug and seal. Doesn't describe what kind of seal.

12616850 SEAL, OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG $3.19
11562588 PLUG, OIL PAN $2.59
12616850 looks like this:

(It's the rubber seal that goes into the bolt. They will flatten out & harden & begin leaking over time. I would replace it every other oil change)

image.png

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is exactly why this forum is awesome. Great people and lots of knowledge.

I knew I would have an answer today. I'm headed to the parts store now.

It's all cleaned up now and ready for a new bolt.

Reactions: Mr. Clean

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Yup, that's the seal. I bought a few from the GM dealer, but having changed the oil some 8 times already, I just noticed I'm out of them. Time to get some more for the slingshots across the country run

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think the magnetic plug is the one I'm going with. I just don't like the rubber gasket it has so I bought rubber/metal gaskets also.

And I bought a spare plug also without the magnetic tip.

Reactions: Mr. Clean

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My magnetic plug with gasket was 6.95 at O'Riley Auto Parts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
napa:

Select to Compare

Oil Drain Plug
PART # :
NOE 7043010
PRODUCT LINE :
NAPA Solutions
IMPORTANT INFO :
M12 X 1.75 Thread Size
RESERVE ONLINE PRICE (USD):
$3.11 /Each
Available in Store
Qty

Select to Compare
Why?
Select to Compare

Oil Drain Plug Gasket
PART # :
FPG 70820
PRODUCT LINE :
FEL-PRO Gaskets
IMPORTANT INFO :

RESERVE ONLINE PRICE (USD):
$1.41 /Each
Available in Store

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

That is the one I ended up using. I just used the rubber gasket it came with.

Reactions: nemesis1701

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I guess I need to change the bolt to a solid bolt use a crush washer. I hate an oil leak. It has just been seeping past the drain bolt and blowing on everything. It hasn't dripped on the floor or i would have noticed it. You can even see on the radiator pipe how it's just blowing everywhere and you can clearly tell it starts at the drain plug.

Shame - Shame on You
U have been spending too much time on the top of your SlingShot - - Need more time underneath it
Shame on u.jpg

.................................................. tom n carol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts