Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Oil leak problem in my 2020 Slingshot SL

7K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Mike Bodzas 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with oil leaks with their 2020 Slingshot SL?

#15 ·
Possible the oil Filter over tightened or under tightened. I had an Oil Change done once on my New 1985 Pontiac TransAm where the person that changed filter left the old rubber ring on from previous filter in error and then cranked down new filter on top of it. Nice to see your brand new car coming out of the shop pissing oil. They pushed it back in and found the double rubber seal. Fixed problem.

#13 · (Edited)
My 2020 SL Autodrive is leaking oil seems more apparent after the PCV mod!/dipstick and oil volume increase ! Dealer is trying to get a case opened with Polaris ! I have 23000 kms on my machine !
Seemed to get worse after dipstick and PCV Valve change last year.

Waiting for a case to be opened with Slingshot/Polaris through dealer.

Attachments

#21 ·
I'm not seeing anyone post front crank seal leaking on the 2021 or 2022 have they updated the seal or are they replacing them with the same problem part they took out or does anyone know. It seems Polaris should have replace the front crank seal along with the pcv recall and the 6 qt of oil but that would cut it into their $$$.

#26 ·
Just a note, It seems the PCV update isn't great. since they did the update on my 2020, I am getting oil mist coming out of the crank breather tube. I noticed this because I have a cold air intake with a separate filter for the crank tube. The guys with the stock intake would never notice because the breather tube goes into the intake tube. I am installing a "Catch Can" system and I am only filling the crankcase with the original 5 quarts of oil.

#23 ·
Mine is going in tomorrow for the front seal and pulley. 2020 with only 8K miles. Covered under the extended warranty with 150.00 deductible. Not a bad leak really. I didn't even notice it. The dealer seen it when they were installing a powder coated intake manifold for me.

#27 ·
Around 7000 I noticed the front seal seeping on my 2020 then after highway driving and coming to a stop on acceleration started getting oil smoke out the exhaust it was puddling up in the intake from pcv, just in the 2 year warranty the dealer did compression and cylinder leak down test. Polaris replaced the engine with complete unit. I found a little information that said they had poor metal in some of the first blocks. I didn't want the first year of a new product being in the automotive repair side I've seen that to be a problem but the dealer couldn't tell if they could even get a 21 for over a year because of the pandemic closing everything. I'm hoping the later version has changed and the bugs are out. I did bump the warranty another 3 years just Incase.

#28 ·
I heard there was some that had cracking cylinder sleeves causing excessive blow-by and exhaust smoke. The stories I have heard was bad smoke. Mine isn't smoking but I am getting crankcase gas escaping from the breather tube instead of air being pulled in from a proper working PCV system. From what I heard that the original PCV system was causing oil consumption due to removing too much pressure from the crankcase, so they reduced the amount of gas the system can remove. I have the 5 year warranty on the engine. Maybe I will have my dealer do a leak down test just to be sure. Mine is one of the first engines to come out.

#29 ·
Mike how many miles do you have on yours? The ones I have heard of were 10 k and under when it showed problems. Im thinking the excessive crankcase pressure may have been blowing the front seal and the added qt of oil resting on the back side helped it seep out there.

#38 ·
That's sounds like it's the same as mine and others have been failing. I hate it's summer and you will be without it but maybe they can get you changed out somewhat quick. If it's like the dealer I took mine to they had to start a repair request through Polaris and work from there. Polaris sent a complete do it's was pretty much a drop in swap. Good luck.

#46 ·
I'm not sure why Polaris would have them tear down before they do the engine test , crankcase pressure, compression, and leak down at least. You may want to ask for the Polaris contact id number Incase you need it. Just tell them it's for your records. That way you can contact Polaris with the number and see exactly what they have told the dealer to do if they try to dump a charge back on you.

#47 ·
Thats what I thought. I told them to do the leak down test and we will go from there. So I dropped it off for the test. They kept pushing my appointment up. Kept telling me we can do it in a week, then a week later they said the same thing. I finally picked it up. Told them since it runs good and not using oil, I'm going to drive it until the engine pukes or the winter comes and they have time to take care of this properly. I have 2 years left on the extended warranty and Polaris now knows there might be a problem. At my age, I don't know how many riding seasons I have left.....Not going to miss this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.