Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thrilled with look and performance of my new Slingshot SL. You will find oil must be changed at 500 miles. I know on a new vehicle like this nothing is going to be cheap but $164 for an oil change is over the top. Was told if oil wasn't changed by dealership it would void warranty. Charged $90 for labor to change oil ONLY!! Come on Polaris - if your gonna gouge me at least do it on something else so I don't feel like I was bent over with NO OIL!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hmmm... That leaves $74 for the oil & filter. That must be some damn good oil :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I am thrilled with look and performance of my new Slingshot SL. You will find oil must be changed at 500 miles. I know on a new vehicle like this nothing is going to be cheap but $164 for an oil change is over the top. Was told if oil wasn't changed by dealership it would void warranty. Charged $90 for labor to change oil ONLY!! Come on Polaris - if your gonna gouge me at least do it on something else so I don't feel like I was bent over with NO OIL!!!
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

·
Registered
172 Posts
The dealer does not have to do the first oil change. They cannot force you to do your oil changes with them as long as you keep receipts of your parts you can do the mantence yourself

·
Registered
105 Posts
The dealer does not have to do the first oil change. They cannot force you to do your oil changes with them as long as you keep receipts of your parts you can do the mantence yourself
Just keep your receipts and keep immaculate records, just sayin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just checked with my dealer also today. $172 but it is not just an oil change for the 500 miles service. There is about 25+ items that get inspected/adjusted if need be to include the oil change. I might have them do the first one, then I can do the rest.:):)

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Its the Magnuson-Moss act , I bought the oil and filter and think it was about $70.00 from the dealer. I will use there oil and filter for a couple changes and then probably switch to amsoil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is a 500 mile service, not just an oil change. Several other systems are checked to be in spec., which takes just under an hour to do. Your maitenance records from your dealer are what you need when there is a warranty issue later down the road. Be careful where you save money, it could cost you a lot in the end.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Its the Magnuson-Moss act , I bought the oil and filter and think it was about $70.00 from the dealer. I will use there oil and filter for a couple changes and then probably switch to amsoil.
I've heard others choose Amsoil. Any reason why?

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I've heard others choose Amsoil. Any reason why?
I have used Amsoil in my racing boats that turn over 20k rpm. and they have held together, so I started using there products in my other vehicles. They also have a really good waterproof grease. I thinkThey are the first synthetic oil.

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank all you guys for giving me a little education. Had the dealership informed me of all the other work that went along with changing the oil I would have felt much better. Also after seeing what some others had to pay now I feel like I got a decent deal and will shut up about this. Will put dealership back on my Xmas list

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I will be changing my own oil with Mobil 1 extedned performance . I run it in all my toys, it has a high Zink content. Plus I will probably just by AC Delco oil filters in town since that is the Chevrolet brand of oil filter that was built for this motor from Chevrolet factory. I will spend around 5qt jug $30 and stock oil filter $10. I know in my life I have owned over 30 motorcyles and a couple dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and have always changed my own oil and my own maintenance and have never voided a warranty on anything. I am picky and don't let people work on my things. My motor warranty will probably voided anyway when I slap a alpha turbo kit on this beast.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I will be changing my own oil with Mobil 1 extedned performance . I run it in all my toys, it has a high Zink content. Plus I will probably just by AC Delco oil filters in town since that is the Chevrolet brand of oil filter that was built for this motor from Chevrolet factory. I will spend around 5qt jug $30 and stock oil filter $10. I know in my life I have owned over 30 motorcyles and a couple dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and have always changed my own oil and my own maintenance and have never voided a warranty on anything. I am picky and don't let people work on my things. My motor warranty will probably voided anyway when I slap a alpha turbo kit on this beast.
Ditto................

1 - 20 of 24 Posts