Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think this thread might be good to compare reliability notes and a maintenance heads up for others.... Post your year and miles at a minimum, if you'd like post your performed maintenance and modifications.

Year: 2016 SL

Odometer: 6200

Maintenance: oil change x3, clutch fluid change x2 (was really dirty.. maybe a break in issue?), right angle drive oil x1, tires (the rear wears really fast!), All recall maintenance done

Modifications: Hahn QA1 single adjustable shocks (what a difference!), 8 inch subwoofer, 22 inch rims all around, pirell nero tires (highly recommend good tires), underbody/front wheel well/cabin led lights

Only issue I've had is battery drain if it sits for awhile, probably due to mods poorly installed by car toys and random check engine codes that come and go on a rare basis.

Cheers, look forward to reading others.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Year 2016 SL
miles 2048
Owner for about 3 months - purchased used with 182 miles on it
All recall work done
Had small leak near right angled drive - common issue - fixed
So far no issues except for above mention

1 oil change at 500

Mods - gear shifter, autoshade 2.0 and flux capacitor

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
2015 Base model. OIl changes per schedule. 36,000 miles now, but the Slingshot has been torn apart since the beginning of July while I take my time installing a turbo and some other stuff and have also had to deal with some other issues/travel.
I keep experimenting with my audio system. Now on third setup. Like the SSVWorks roll-hoop speaker pods.
Have Bilstein coilovers from a Group Buy back in 2016. Big difference over stock.
Switched angle-drive lube to Redline Shockproof (75-250W equivalent, IIRC). Seemed to make less noise afterwards.
Still on original battery. Will replace when I need to with a Rural King AGM battery for around $130 including core fee. https://www.ruralking.com/battery-auto-agm-rk-agm34.html
Adding Nitto Motivos on the Front and a 555 G2 Rear after turbo install is completed, hopefully soon. New rear tire/wheel combo will be a 315/35R17 555 G2 on an American Muscle 17 x 10.5 10th Anniversary Cobra Style wheel with a 28 mm offset meaning the right edge of the tire will be where the right edge is now, but the center of the tire will be about 3/4" to the left. Tire is very close to OEM dimensions to maintain compatibility with the nanny controls. Willtheyfit.com is a great site for getting a visualization of how different tire/wheel combos will look. Also - https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator is a good way of evaluating tire size differences and impact on safety controls. Changes within 2% should not cause problems with the nanny controls, but over 4% expect problems.
General comment on tires - Still running original front tires. First 2 rear Kendas gave me around 10-11K miles each. A Sumitomo 295/30R18 HTR Z III gave me around 7K miles and a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 has given me around 9K miles and still have some tread and probably a couple thousand miles left.
Other than the recall items, main issue was the hood latches would occasionally come unlatched, usually the passenger-side rear latch. Hadn't given me problems for awhile before I tore the Slingshot apart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2016.5 SL bought new in April 2017
12,000+ miles in 6 months (I'm translating everything to miles, but I actually work in kilometers)

All maintenance has been performed by the dealer per the service schedule (500, 5000, 10000). All recalls have been completed. Everything is still basically stock.

Only unexpected items were
- a disconnected traction control switch at delivery (loose wire).
- an exhaust connection (the muffler joint held together by springs) has developed a 1/2 inch gap. I haven't addressed the gap because I like the extra exhaust note it is giving. Twisting the muffler around makes the gap smaller but it opens up again after awhile.
- rattle at the fender outer edge (a loose gap between the black plastic and the painted hood).
- drivers seat has started to squeak a bit.
- brake pedal was soft for awhile, now OK.
- clutch pedal engagement point dropped lower a couple times but pulling the pedal up fixed it each time.

Stock rear tire was replaced at 10,000 miles because it was bald (from hard driving, not from burnouts). Stock fronts are still good.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
We have an early model 2015 picked up in Dec of 14. 18,000 miles on it, SSITS three times, recent trip from Georgia to Grand Junction Colorado and back with a side trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park and 12,000 feet!

Just went back to my base wheels and a new rear tire (Nito Motiva street compound), regular oil changes at 500, 1000, 5000, 10,000 and due another now. Did all the recalls, added a Madstad top, Welter stealth exhaust and changed the angle drive to red line shockproof!

It has been very reliable, fun and comfortable and the most bang for the buck I have ever had in hot cars or motorcycles ! Love my Slingshot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts