Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking to by a Slingshot Next Month ( June ) and would need some advice on which extras to purchase with the Sling shot.

I’m always looking for deals so I wanted to buy a Slingshot used, but it looks like they are so hot at the Moment, that
it’s impossible to find a good deal especially on an a lower model like the “S” Model so the higher models are higher in price then the entry model brand new, So I decided to buy a S Model brand new.
… which might be the best option anyway to have full warranty.
I don’t now how relieved the new Polaris engine is but the I guess the previous models had inexpensive GM parts that could be replaced.

So the main difference between the S Model and the SL model is the wind shield and the Audio System ?

From my understand the Audio system ( especially the speakers are not very good) !? So Would I guess it would make sense to just order the S Model and at the Windhield for $300 and install an aftermarket Audio System ??

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you want to add a top, either Slingshade or aftermarket, the S model has simple tubular roll hoops that all existing tops are NOT designed to fit. Buying the upgraded roll hoops to accommodate a top will cost a little over $900, but with a lot of luck, you might find someone who wants to trade the upgraded roll hoops fort he tubular hoops and some cash or maybe you can just sell the S model roll hoops for a couple hundred Dollars.
Do you want the manual transmission that's standard? The basic AutoDrive transmission is basically the same transmission with a computer-controlled clutch. Paddle shifters can be added for around $400 to greatly improve control over shifting the AutoDrive. The Performance Tune costs around $800 and will bring engine output up to R model levels.
If I could afford a new Slingshot, I'd probably go for the S model with AutoDrive, Paddle Shifters and the Performane tune. I'd then add a DIY audio systems with roll hoop speakers since they place the sound right behind your head and do NOT intrude into legroom. The intrusion of the normal floor speakers into my legroom is my main complaint about the factory setup and floor-mount speakers, in general.
I have a 2015 Base model (now equivalent to the S model) and added a round marine radio using a piece of 1/4" ABS or PVC plastic to make a dash panel that covers the opening in the dash and also includes a small round storage tube along with a Voltmeter and my AFR/Boost gauge. I initially had a metal shop use a water-jet to cut a 1/8" aluminum sheet to make my dash, but changed to easier to fabricate plastic for later radio versions. Here's a picture of an earlier radio I installed -
PAradio.jpg

I replaced the Planet Audio radio with a Lanzar round marine radio that supports a video input for a camera, but I haven't yet connected a rear camera. The storage tube is a short piece of PVC pipe with an end cap that is fastened to the main plastic dash using PVC/ABS glue. If I want to try a different round marine radio, it's easy to make a new dash panel to handle different radio diameters. If you just upgrade to the Performance Tune and don't plan on adding boost, there's room to add a couple of gauges, if desired.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to add a top, either Slingshade or aftermarket, the S model has simple tubular roll hoops that all existing tops are NOT designed to fit. Buying the upgraded roll hoops to accommodate a top will cost a little over $900, but with a lot of luck, you might find someone who wants to trade the upgraded roll hoops fort he tubular hoops and some cash or maybe you can just sell the S model roll hoops for a couple hundred Dollars.
Do you want the manual transmission that's standard? The basic AutoDrive transmission is basically the same transmission with a computer-controlled clutch. Paddle shifters can be added for around $400 to greatly improve control over shifting the AutoDrive. The Performance Tune costs around $800 and will bring engine output up to R model levels.
If I could afford a new Slingshot, I'd probably go for the S model with AutoDrive, Paddle Shifters and the Performane tune. I'd then add a DIY audio systems with roll hoop speakers since they place the sound right behind your head and do NOT intrude into legroom. The intrusion of the normal floor speakers into my legroom is my main complaint about the factory setup and floor-mount speakers, in general.
I have a 2015 Base model (now equivalent to the S model) and added a round marine radio using a piece of 1/4" ABS or PVC plastic to make a dash panel that covers the opening in the dash and also includes a small round storage tube along with a Voltmeter and my AFR/Boost gauge. I initially had a metal shop use a water-jet to cut a 1/8" aluminum sheet to make my dash, but changed to easier to fabricate plastic for later radio versions. Here's a picture of an earlier radio I installed -
View attachment 185568
I replaced the Planet Audio radio with a Lanzar round marine radio that supports a video input for a camera, but I haven't yet connected a rear camera. The storage tube is a short piece of PVC pipe with an end cap that is fastened to the main plastic dash using PVC/ABS glue. If I want to try a different round marine radio, it's easy to make a new dash panel to handle different radio diameters. If you just upgrade to the Performance Tune and don't plan on adding boost, there's room to add a couple of gauges, if desired.

Thanks for the detailed info @BKL
That Look’s like a decent set up as an alternative to the expensive audio options ! Nice ! I’m assuming the Planet Audio Dash controller is part of the set that come with an Amp correct ? I have seen a water proof amp before for boots etc. that were bluetooth operated. Which I think makes sense since most music is played from a Cellphone nowa days as well as your navigation so if there is a second screen in the cockpit it will mostly be ignored ( but will def. do something for the looks)

I’m not so much interested in a top, more for a regular windshield which is missing with the S version and added starting at the SL I think.
Since you have a 2015 model, would you say the vehicle is over all reliable ?
I would be looking for an Automatic transmission , so you said ….add the panel shifter for better performance , control / handling !? So I’m assuming that would be an option from the factory where the performance tune sounds more like an after market mod !? … if so it would probably mess with the warranty correct ? Warranty would be the biggest Plus for me that comes with buying a new Slingshot vs a used one .. besides the used prices not being a lot cheaper vs a new Slingshot at the moment. The possible voided warranty for electric is what I would be afraid about adding aftermarket sound !?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info @BKL
That Look’s like a decent set up as an alternative to the expensive audio options ! Nice ! I’m assuming the Planet Audio Dash controller is part of the set that come with an Amp correct ? I have seen a water proof amp before for boots etc. that were bluetooth operated. Which I think makes sense since most music is played from a Cellphone nowa days as well as your navigation so if there is a second screen in the cockpit it will mostly be ignored ( but will def. do something for the looks)

I’m not so much interested in a top, more for a regular windshield which is missing with the S version and added starting at the SL I think.
Since you have a 2015 model, would you say the vehicle is over all reliable ?
I would be looking for an Automatic transmission , so you said ….add the panel shifter for better performance , control / handling !? So I’m assuming that would be an option from the factory where the performance tune sounds more like an after market mod !? … if so it would probably mess with the warranty correct ? Warranty would be the biggest Plus for me that comes with buying a new Slingshot vs a used one .. besides the used prices not being a lot cheaper vs a new Slingshot at the moment. The possible voided warranty for electric is what I would be afraid about adding aftermarket sound !?
The Planet Audio unit doesn't need an amp since it has an internal amp, but an amp can be easily added since the PGR35B includes amp and sub outputs in addition to it's speaker outputs. I used a Clarion XC2410 4 channel amp which outputs 45W RMS per channel into 4 ohm speakers or 75W RMS per channel into 2 ohm speakers. It can also be bridged to provide 150W per channel into 4 ohm speakers on 2 channels. I haven't tried it, but Clarion support told me in a phone call that I could run the front channels into 2 ohm speakers and get 75W RMS from each channel and then bridge the rear channels bu connecting a 4 ohm speaker to the rear left positive and right rear negative outputs to get 150W for a sub woofer. I'm thinking about doing that and then connecting the 2 JBL Stadium GTO620 2 ohm rear speakers I already have in series so the amp will see a 4 ohm load to get the max 150W output and use a low pass filter to only allow subwoofer freqs below around 100-300Hz tthru to the speakers. Probably won't work as well as purpose-designed subwoofers, but it should give me some idea s to how well that setup will work before I invest more money into subwoofers.
The first music setup I used had a Boss Audio BT amp that took sound from my cellphone and had a dedicated controller to advance songs and control volume, etc. I believe most cell phones will either run a music player or a map app, but not necessarily both at the same time, although I've never tried to do so.
The 1st gen Slingshots (2015-2019) have been very reliable as far as I'm concerned. IIRC, Polaris tested the original Slingshot for 2 years before they released, so they probably also tested the 2nd gen Slingshots for a couple years before release. The new thing with the 2nd gens was the use of the AutoDrive transmission which has been around now for several decades. The Paddle shifters ($400, IIRC) and the Performance Tune ($600) are both available from Polaris.
Technically, adding your own sound system can give Polaris an excuse to deny warranty coverage, although they are technically required to prove that any mods are the cause of whatever they're refusing to fix.
Keep in mind that Polaris offers a Technology package with a Rockford Fosgate radio and speakers on the S model. It doesn't include Navigation, but does include a standard size windshield and a Security system. The S model with the Technology package and AutoDrive transmission costs $23999 and adding in the Performance Tune and Paddle Shifter Kit will increase the total cost to $24999, the same as the SL. The base SL doesn't include the Paddle Shifters, nor does it have the extra 25HP from the Performance Tune, but it has Roll Hops that will work with the Slingshade (and presumably the aftermarket Tops) and the sound system is an upgrade compared to the technology package, but I think Navigation is still an extra cost on the SL.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Technically, adding your own sound system can give Polaris an excuse to deny warranty coverage, although they are technically required to prove that any mods are the cause of whatever they're refusing to fix
That might be illegal depending on the state.
My boring vehicle is a Kia Soul and I wanted to keep the stereo upgrades on the up and up so I contacted the dealer to have them do the install and they said they don't do aftermarket audio, but getting it installed elsewhere would not affect the warranty.
If you are not splicing wires, you should be safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My boring vehicle is a Kia Soul and I wanted to keep the stereo upgrades on the up and up so I contacted the dealer to have them do the install and they said they don't do aftermarket audio, but getting it installed elsewhere would not affect the warranty.
The Planet Audio unit doesn't need an amp since it has an internal amp, but an amp can be easily added since the PGR35B includes amp and sub outputs in addition to it's speaker outputs. I used a Clarion XC2410 4 channel amp which outputs 45W RMS per channel into 4 ohm speakers or 75W RMS per channel into 2 ohm speakers. It can also be bridged to provide 150W per channel into 4 ohm speakers on 2 channels. I haven't tried it, but Clarion support told me in a phone call that I could run the front channels into 2 ohm speakers and get 75W RMS from each channel and then bridge the rear channels bu connecting a 4 ohm speaker to the rear left positive and right rear negative outputs to get 150W for a sub woofer. I'm thinking about doing that and then connecting the 2 JBL Stadium GTO620 2 ohm rear speakers I already have in series so the amp will see a 4 ohm load to get the max 150W output and use a low pass filter to only allow subwoofer freqs below around 100-300Hz tthru to the speakers. Probably won't work as well as purpose-designed subwoofers, but it should give me some idea s to how well that setup will work before I invest more money into subwoofers.
The first music setup I used had a Boss Audio BT amp that took sound from my cellphone and had a dedicated controller to advance songs and control volume, etc. I believe most cell phones will either run a music player or a map app, but not necessarily both at the same time, although I've never tried to do so.
The 1st gen Slingshots (2015-2019) have been very reliable as far as I'm concerned. IIRC, Polaris tested the original Slingshot for 2 years before they released, so they probably also tested the 2nd gen Slingshots for a couple years before release. The new thing with the 2nd gens was the use of the AutoDrive transmission which has been around now for several decades. The Paddle shifters ($400, IIRC) and the Performance Tune ($600) are both available from Polaris.
Technically, adding your own sound system can give Polaris an excuse to deny warranty coverage, although they are technically required to prove that any mods are the cause of whatever they're refusing to fix.
Keep in mind that Polaris offers a Technology package with a Rockford Fosgate radio and speakers on the S model. I doesn't include Navigation, but does include a standard size windshield and a Security system. The S model with the Technology package and AutoDrive transmission costs $23999 and adding in the Performance Tune and Paddle Shifter Kit will increase the total cost to $24999, the same as the SL. The base SL doesn't include the Paddle Shifters, nor does it have the extra 25HP from the Performance Tune, but it has Roll Hops that will work with the Slingshade (and presumably the aftermarket Tops) and the sound system is an upgrade compared to the technology package, but I think Navigation is still an extra cost on the SL.
Hope this helps.
Wow yes! Thanks for eat detailed info @BKL !! So yes the idea was to save some money with the entry S Motel and add some aftermarket mods which are needed .. with mostly starts at the sound because the original sound options are sooo expansive with Polaris ! But you seam to have it all figures out with your configuration … would love to hear how it sounds..
Since you suggested … I will probably goo with the autodrive paddle shifters ( but not necessarily the performance kid) . Then probably the bigger size windshield ( separate ) and I’m thinking about the interior lighting kid which is kind of expensive for around $350 ( considering that similar aftermarket effects are 20 bucks ) but I really don’t want to plug into the power cable because of possible warranty issue since this is the main perk of a new vehicle for me. But since you mentioned the Technology package has a windshield incl. and also Roll Hops to add a top which you where talking about in your fist post, I have to do the math and see if that might work just adding the Technology package kid. :unsure:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know.. I guess it’s always good to be on the safe side … ask forum members or pay a lawyer .. lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing to consider is adding a fusebox. I added one from Slingmods, it's kind of expensive, but the beauty of it is that you can hook something switched or on all the time. I hooked up my full LED set to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOOKS AMAZING !!!! The LED set and the Top cam from Slingmods also ?
:D Neither.
The top a Twist Dynamics Gull Wing I purchased from SlingshotsOnly where through their membership program you get free shipping.
The lights I picked up from liteyourslingz.com during a Christmas sale last year. I think I got the fusebox there...
The only thing I have from Slingmods is the rear view mirror convex stick ons WHICH ARE AMAZING!!! That should be your very first mod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:D Neither.
The top a Twist Dynamics Gull Wing I purchased from SlingshotsOnly where through their membership program you get free shipping.
The lights I picked up from liteyourslingz.com during a Christmas sale last year. I think I got the fusebox there...
The only thing I have from Slingmods is the rear view mirror convex stick ons WHICH ARE AMAZING!!! That should be your very first mod.
Dope !! is that the #1 kit with the grill add on from liteyourslingz.com ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 185568
@BKL can you recomment the technology package with the S Model Since it comes with the Security Package ? is that just an alarm system ?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
@BKL can you recomment the technology package with the S Model Since it comes with the Security Package ? is that just an alarm system ?
Unfortunately, I don't really know much about the specifics of the Slingshot S Technology Package 1 beyond that the Rockford Fosgate radio it includes can be purchased separately for around $550 for the PMX head unit and PMX-1R remote control with full video display. The Tech Pkg 1 costs $2300 and each buyer would need to determine if it seems affordable to them for the capabilities it adds. The SL models include a security code that can prevent unauthorized operation, so I'd assume the Tech Pkg 1 includes a similar capability.
To me, the main appeal I see in the Tech Pkg 1 is that it provides a standard, Polaris-installed sound system, eliminating concerns that Polaris might deny warranty coverage of any electrical problems if a non-Polaris approved sound system were installed.
Another factor affecting the choice between the S model with Tech Pkg 1 or the SL model is the SL costs around $2600 more, but the Tech Pkg 2 sound system includes Polaris' Ride Command navigation capability and the SL also includes roll hoops compatible with Polaris' Slingshade Top and presumably also compatible with some aftermarket Tops. Adding the Top-compatible roll hoops to the S model will a little over $900, bringing the cost of an S model with Tech Pkg 1 and the upgraded roll hoops to around $23,200 for the manual transmission model or $24,900 for the AutoDrive transmission. If you are confident you'll never add a Top, you can save some money with the S model, but if a Top is a consideration, the SL may make more sense if you like the Tech Pkg 2 features enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I’m looking to by a Slingshot Next Month ( June ) and would need some advice on which extras to purchase with the Sling shot.

I’m always looking for deals so I wanted to buy a Slingshot used, but it looks like they are so hot at the Moment, that
it’s impossible to find a good deal especially on an a lower model like the “S” Model so the higher models are higher in price then the entry model brand new, So I decided to buy a S Model brand new.
… which might be the best option anyway to have full warranty.
I don’t now how relieved the new Polaris engine is but the I guess the previous models had inexpensive GM parts that could be replaced.

So the main difference between the S Model and the SL model is the wind shield and the Audio System ?

From my understand the Audio system ( especially the speakers are not very good) !? So Would I guess it would make sense to just order the S Model and at the Windhield for $300 and install an aftermarket Audio System ??
you could have had a Canadian SS Sl 2015 for $9,000 last month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, I don't really know much about the specifics of the Slingshot S Technology Package 1 beyond that the Rockford Fosgate radio it includes can be purchased separately for around $550 for the PMX head unit and PMX-1R remote control with full video display. The Tech Pkg 1 costs $2300 and each buyer would need to determine if it seems affordable to them for the capabilities it adds. The SL models include a security code that can prevent unauthorized operation, so I'd assume the Tech Pkg 1 includes a similar capability.
To me, the main appeal I see in the Tech Pkg 1 is that it provides a standard, Polaris-installed sound system, eliminating concerns that Polaris might deny warranty coverage of any electrical problems if a non-Polaris approved sound system were installed.
Another factor affecting the choice between the S model with Tech Pkg 1 or the SL model is the SL costs around $2600 more, but the Tech Pkg 2 sound system includes Polaris' Ride Command navigation capability and the SL also includes roll hoops compatible with Polaris' Slingshade Top and presumably also compatible with some aftermarket Tops. Adding the Top-compatible roll hoops to the S model will a little over $900, bringing the cost of an S model with Tech Pkg 1 and the upgraded roll hoops to around $23,200 for the manual transmission model or $24,900 for the AutoDrive transmission. If you are confident you'll never add a Top, you can save some money with the S model, but if a Top is a consideration, the SL may make more sense if you like the Tech Pkg 2 features enough.
Yes, those are all the main things to consider . Since the cost factors is one of the most important one for me .. I will have to take all in consideration. But the Slingshot comes with a key right ?
If not I guess you have to have a Security / Alarm system if not, the Tech pack’s price doesn’t really justify the use of the Sound considering that you get some of the best Home or Car Sound for 2k.
But yes the Warranty is the biggest issue ! Does the Slingshot come with one 1year warranty ?
… anyway I will think about it and report back here about my decisions and possibly alternative options

1 - 20 of 22 Posts