Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Who here has the NRG quick release steering wheel hub?
Ive been thinking I want to purchase one for some pc of mind when im parked and gone from my ss for long periods of time.
What are your likes and dislikes?
Ive heard it moves the steering wheel forward 2.5 inches?
Is this a problem? Im about 6 ft tall.
TIA!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ordered my NRG quick release ver. 2.0 and NRG steering wheel. I also ordered the Assault 6 hole hub that works with the SS. This setup will bring the wheel bout 2.5 in. closer to you. I'm also 6ft. tall. Some guys here have said this is actually more comfortable. Parts will be here this week. Videos to come.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here it is as promised, NRG quick release and steering wheel with Assault hub installed in about 20 mins and a few beers later. I love the look and feel of this mod. It took the slingshot from an ATV quad feel to a sports car feel.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image11.jpeg
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The stock horn button location still works with this setup?

·
Registered
40 Posts
@TravAZ : Yes, I did my research to make sure stock horn still works. The NRG quick release comes with pass through wire connections that connect to copper contacts that touch when steering wheel is on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pricelist of parts, total with links below: $276.88

Assault Aftermarket Steering Wheel Hub for the Polaris Slingshot: $80
NRG STEERING WHEEL LOCK QUICK RELEASE ADAPTER KIT GEN 2.5: $111.88
NRG Steering Wheel - Pilota Style (ST-001CFL): $85

Some thoughts after driving with the new steering wheel setup. First, I have to say I'm a little annoyed by the distance from the turn signal to the steering wheel. It feels like it's a foot away from the steering wheel because every time I use the turn signal I have to take my hand off the wheel to reach for the turn signal stick. It's p[robably only about 5-6 inches but it's not reachable if your hand is on the wheel. Secondly, because of the deep Assault Hub adapter, it is a pain in the a$$ trying to get out of the SS if unless you pop the wheel off everytime. I am going to try and find a slimmer NRG hub adapter to alleviate the last two issues. Overall, I love the look of it all but I'm only about 65% satisfied with the final experience of using the new setup. Drive comfort is fine with the wheel being about 2.5 in closer to me. One thing you need to be aware of when installing the hub adapter is that you need to make sure it is aligned properly when you pound it on because it's a real bit#h to take off. The challenge lies in fact that when you take the center nut off the steering wheel, unless you have a way to lock the front tires in place facing straight on, when you unscrew it off, the front wheels will turn until they they won't turn anymore. It is at that point that you will able to remove the nut. After removing the nut, it is difficult to determine where center is anymore. If you put the assault hub on mis-aligned like I did the first time, your steering wheel will be off centered while driving down the road. Then you'll have to go out and get your self a steering wheel/gear puller to remove the Assault hub. Just some words of wisdom....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Here it is as promised, NRG quick release and steering wheel with Assault hub installed in about 20 mins and a few beers later. I love the look and feel of this mod. It took the slingshot from an ATV quad feel to a sports car feel.

View attachment 12826
View attachment 12827 View attachment 12828 View attachment 12829 View attachment 12830 View attachment 12831 View attachment 12832 View attachment 12833 View attachment 12834 View attachment 12835
Looks great! I just got a new NRG wheel-dish style-my fear is if I add the quick release it will be way too close. Debating .....

·
Registered
791 Posts

View attachment 12826
View attachment 12827 View attachment 12828 View attachment 12829 View attachment 12830 View attachment 12831 View attachment 12832 View attachment 12833 View attachment 12834 View attachment 12835
Any reason why you went with the 2.0 gen verses 2.5, 2.8, or 3.0?

·
Registered
791 Posts

View attachment 12826
I'm 5'9" and I have the assault hub and NRG dish wheel and I find it challenging to exit my SS. Being 6' and adding the quick release depth---it has to be tough to enter and exit right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Livin1day: The reason why I chose rev 2.5 was because I didn't like having the huge paddle shifter look plus the extra added weight in rev 3.0. I wanted a slim profile yet easy to detach by having the smaller wings. Looking back now I may have considered doing 1.0 but I was afraid that it might be hard to detach w/o having something to really grip, but I am curious to know if there would have been a reduction in weight going to 1.0 as opposed to 2.5. Carrying a steering wheel around is okay with me but if it's too heavy with the quick release it could be annoying. Color options also played a factor between 2.5 and 2.8.

Let us know @lostnparadise how it goes with your final install.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts